R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4 Sport 2

Is the HPI RS4 Sport 2 a good race frame? I am new at racing... and wanted to know if this model could grow as I progress in skill. I was going to buy the Pro 4, but I have a nasty habit of getting into something and then in a year or two not even messing with it. So I think to be on the safe side a Sport 2 with a 8T motor in should keep me going at a reasonable price. I really wouldn't mind the Pro 4 it looks so nice, but I need to start exercising restraint. :-)

Let me know if you know!

Matt
Committed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:39 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

get a tc3, Perfect car for bigginners up to Experts.
YOu can get a Roller For about $120 thats a factory. The Sport2 isnt very competitive So if you stick to r/c you will lose money
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I started looking at Sport2, but then decided a TC3 would be a better choice. After a little further investigation, it looks like the XXX-S might be the way I want to go.... Of course, I keep getting more and more expensive, but I have found that most of the guys at my local track run the Losi. (I just found the track and I want to get started with them)
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Default were for $120

Were can I get one for $120, everywhere I look it is over $200. Which still isn't bad. All of the HPI body touring cars should fit it right?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
Tech Elite

YGPM
Old 04-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to DT-Skyline Send a message via Yahoo to DT-Skyline Send a message via Skype™ to DT-Skyline

Try going to for either the TC3, HPI Pro 3-4, or Yokomo SD. Thery are all great selections for entry level.
DT-Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:10 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

From what I hear on here from the people who've been around R/C for a while, the Pro 2 was/is a pretty bulletproof, kick-ass car.

I have a Sport 2 that I bought a bunch of upgrades for...basically making it a "pro" only with the FRP bottom plate. I think I only ever broke 1 arm and cracked one bulkhead -- and I was bashing around with an SS5800 Novak, smacking all kinds of stuff.

It would probably be real fast if I knew what was doing.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:04 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Sport 2 has been called a tank because it can take incredible amount of punishment without breaking, it's unbelivebly tough. TC3 is in my experience a bit fragile so it's not very good for beginners. A guy showed up with Losi XXX-S rtr at last race. It seems strong but he could hardly finish 2 laps without the battery falling out, until he taped it to the batterybrace.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Default something else

Is it just me or does the Sport 2 Chassis look cooler than the TC3? I don't know to me the TC3 is just a plastic dish, with a drive shaft. I guess technically all RC cars are but I don't know, I just think when you lift the Hood off a Sport 2 it looks better than a TC3. Of course this has nothing to do with performance. Reading the reviews and stuff, i think if you can drive, you can do reasonably ok with any car. As it was said before the Sport 2 does come with a lot of hop ups, which almost make it the Pro 2 packadge. Comparing my old skool Mini RS4 to that of the Sport 2 I see very little difference, and for me that is good. It means I should be able to work it reasonably well. Where as the TC3 looks over simplified if you know what I mean.

I don't mean to offend any of the TC3 fans, I am after buying one of them, I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the same. Also is there an upper deck for the TC3? It would help make it not look so boring.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:50 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: something else

Quote:
Originally posted by Committed88
Also is there an upper deck for the TC3? It would help make it not look so boring.
you'd have to get a warpspeed chassis for a double deck design.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #11
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

The losi battery falling out issue can be corrected if you run a post on the side so it holds it in, or go to laydown style packs.

I had a XXX-S when the "team" version was around, then upgraded it gradually to full graphite, PRP shock towers, etc, but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to turn properly and the TC3s just flat out smoked us on the straights, they were much more punchy than the XXX-S.

I then picked up a used TC3, changed only the springs, and I instantly did 2 laps faster than I had done before.

the TC3 is a nice vehicle, to save on broken parts, just pickup some of the protection upgrades that BRP makes for it. there front bumper and rear bumper will make it a tank. Also the side nerf wings work well too. To put them on, just use some JB Weld and let it dry over night. Since I did that when I was running the stock chassis, it never came off.

If you are wanting to really trick the vehicle out, you can look into a chassis from BMI. I have one, excellent chassis, only thing is just make sure to get a different battery strap so it holds the packs in better.

Another vehicle you may want to look into is the X-Ray Racer kit. For the money ( about $200 or less ), you really get alot of car. X-Rays are the hot ticket at our track and are really well made.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:02 AM   #12
Tech Elite

I've raced the Sport2 for almost 3 years. Then I got a Pro2 NIB. Both is extremely durable and with a proper setup, they both can be very fast. I'm beating TC3, Yok SD, Tamiya Evo III and more....

I still got my Sport2, when we finish our outdoor track, I'll be racing it again.

The advantages of the Pro2 compared to the Sport2, is a more stiff chassis (but that's not always an advantage ), ligther drive train and better shocks.

But part support might be an issue. Around here, HPI support really s...., so check it out where you live.

If you can get parts, the Sport2 all in all is a very good car. Durable and the potential to be really really fast.

For my part, I do the Pro2 die hard
Old 04-16-2004, 05:09 AM   #13
Tech Elite

**cough**tc3**Cough**
Old 04-16-2004, 12:10 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Also remember that the Sport2 is discontinued, which wont make it easier to get parts But if you can get parts now, ensure that you have extra belts, lay shaft pullies and the small pins, which prevent the pullies from spinning. And maybe a mini bumper and shock rods.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:50 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Default Serious

If its discontinued, how come you can buy them still at almost every hobby site in the states? Is there really that much left over products? That is odd. Well now that I know that I guess I will go for a TC3, but what I really want is the Pro 4. That is just some serious dough. Oh well. One day I will own the Pro 4, oh yes, one day. Mwwwahahahahah....