R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-17-2004, 07:11 AM   #616
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Hey guys, my diffs don't seem to be sitting snugly. The seem to move a lot left and right inside the gearbox. What's the go with that do you think?? Also, how many shims did you put inbetween the bearings on the diffs and the actual diff itself or oneway??
Aren't you suppose to put a spring between the diff and the bearing according to the instruction?
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:14 AM   #617
Tech Fanatic

I found there was a lot of slop in the diff seating also, but thats what they give you the shim sets for, I used 2 shims on one side, 1 on the other, still a little play but its nice a free. Car went together like a dream, just about to do that shockies and I'm done!
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:49 AM   #618
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
how did the test go?
you soo lucky to have the car and you have spare suspension parts for the evo4?
where did you get them?R10?

Well ... I just got back from running the EVO 4 for the 1st time...Shake Down complete15 packs under it`s belt now for the good and bad news..
The Good news..
this car carries the most corner speed out of any shaft driven car I have testedalso chassis balance is near perfect left and right the EVO4 ...the bevel gears are very durable unlike the EVO3... basicalt this car is so easy to drive it is uncanny...no B.S.
NOw for some of the bad things...
the front A-arms are the weak point on this car... one hit up against the boards and you can kiss them goodbye....but only a small detail because my local track is very unfogiving
anyways this car works Very well on "TIGHT" or Med Sized technical tracks.....

I basicaly used the out of box set up with a few minor changes
I used AE blue springs up front, AE silver ones in the rear with 40W oil up front and 35W in the rear.. 5mm ride height all the way around with 4mm droop in the rear and 3mm droop in the front

Also I was able to better my Best lap time by .3 with this car also average times droped a little bit
couple more days at the track and [email protected] have this thing even more dialed
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:01 AM   #619
Tech Addict

JDM_DOHC_SiR,

can the a-arms from the 415, Evo etc...can be used on the Evo IV?
or is the kit arms longer/shorter on the Evo IV?

Thanks
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #620
T-man

Here in Holland the evo 4 was running for the first time today for the third round of the Dutch championship. Just as you say JDM, the car looked like it is designed for technical tracks.

This also led to a discussion. SO please give your opinion guys. Generally a SD car is suited for technical tracks and belt drive for speed tracks or is it the otherway around? I say the first. But I can be wrong.

Marc
Old 07-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #621
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Well ... I just got back from running the EVO 4 for the 1st time...Shake Down complete15 packs under it`s belt now for the good and bad news..
The Good news..
this car carries the most corner speed out of any shaft driven car I have testedalso chassis balance is near perfect left and right the EVO4 ...the bevel gears are very durable unlike the EVO3... basicalt this car is so easy to drive it is uncanny...no B.S.
NOw for some of the bad things...
the front A-arms are the weak point on this car... one hit up against the boards and you can kiss them goodbye....but only a small detail because my local track is very unfogiving

I basicaly used the out of box set up with a few minor changes
I used AE blue springs up front, AE silver ones in the rear with 40W oil up front and 35W in the rear.. 5mm ride height all the way around with 4mm droop in the rear and 3mm droop in the front

Also I was able to better my Best lap time by .3 with this car also average times droped a little bit
couple more days at the track and [email protected] have this thing even more dialed
-Dave
so its faster than the 415 with evo4 arms/hubs?
why are the a-arms weaker?b/c of less material?
they are made out of the same material as the evo3/415 arms though?
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:05 PM   #622
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Sounds fantastic Dave.

I have just completed my TB Evo IV and I am hoping to get down to the track tomorrow to test out ze car! I will let you guys know how it goes if I go down.

In general building of the kit, I generally had few problems aside from the diffs with the shims but after a lot of timkering around, it all works smoothly. The only other hassle I had was bad hex drivers. There's no doubt about it, you must have good hex drivers I believe. They are next on the list of stuff from the LHS. I think that I would have stripped about 15 screws in total, but most were salvagable and I could replace them with some of my philips head style screws from older cars.

I thought that the upper bulkhead parts seemed to have to be forced into place though, which is not standard tamiya workmanship. Usually everything just fits like a glove and everything is fine, but that caused some hassles with the bearings from the diffs but it was resolved in the end. But oh man, this car looks fantastic. It just LOOKS fast. I just had a quick go of it inside and it feels much faster then my old car ever did albeit, and TB Evo II. Never the less, I know what a fast car feels like and I know that this will definately get me excited at the track.

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens!

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:39 PM   #623
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
one hit up against the boards and you can kiss them goodbye....but only a small detail because my local track is very unfogiving

-Dave
i was afraid you were gonna say those things Dave. dang it.. now im gonna have to get one. your local track sounds exactly like OUR LOCAL TRACK. what steve wang likes to refer to as the "concrete bull ring".

i saw David Jun drive his EvoIV today for a few laps, the car looks great!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:00 AM   #624
Tech Fanatic

put a pack through the car this afternoon, WOW its fast, it turns into the corners so sharply I kept hitting the apex! handling is fantastic.

I'll have to shim it up some more, and I although I didnt have any hard hits, I think the chassis has tweaked a little. Very quck out of the box, used some hard springs worked well.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:44 AM   #625
Tech Regular

OK, so all the experience so far is outdoors? I think we all expected it to be as good as , if not better than the 415?

What will be really interesting is to see if it can outdo a Surikarn indoors.

If it can take EVO III diffs, this should be easy enough to do. Drop one in the front, skinny pins, thin oil, soft springs and then away you go.

Anyway, I'm not getting ours until TRF Racer gets his!
EVOtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:13 AM   #626
Tech Fanatic

I ran indoors on asphalt
Old 07-18-2004, 05:26 AM   #627
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

I also took my car out for the first time and put it through a couple of battery runs. I have so say that the handling is simply outstanding. There is so much grip available, and the car is far from dialed, yet I still noticed huge gains in performance. I did however have a problem and it looks like I will need to buy some spares to get it ready to run again. On the acceleration out of a hairpin, I felt a sudden loss of control for a split second before I chilled out and kept going. It didn't appear to be too bad until I had to accelerate from another hairpin and it was fishtailing around the road. I have yet to investigate it visually, but it feels as if the gears inside the front gearbox for the one-way, have stripped. I pretty much only have RWD at this stage. I will check it out and let you know what happens, but I think I am going to have to buy spares of that. I will just get the Alloy gear for that.

Everything else ran like a treat. Its funny, I've never had that much power available to me before to actually spin the rear wheels. I have an F201 with pretty much locked diffs so get maximum power out of it and I have no wheelspin at all, and that's with me being at the top of the timesheets, and with a Tamiya 23T stock motor. In the Evo IV at the moment I have a Fantom Monster Stock 27T and its just great. Got a lot of torque in it and its just great to have such an efficient drivetrain, that I can get wheelspin so nicely. I know that its just the nature of the car and doesn't have anything to do with the one-way gear stripping, because the front wheels were moving just as fast as the rear.

But yeah, the review of the car is VERY positive. Very quick, tonnes of grip, and no issues with breakages or anything. I did make contact with a couple of walls with no problem to the spur or uprights. Everything held together nicely. I even brushed a wall, and my car flew through the air as if I was Ralf Schumacher when he hit Sato in Bahrain. Looked Fantastic, and the car held up fine, much to the surprise to the onlookers watching on.

Just a word of advice to anyone who wants to be fast, GO GET ONE OF THESE CARS!!!

Old 07-18-2004, 05:38 AM   #628
Tech Fanatic

hey there

I notcied that when u exit the corner u do lose a bit of control, my immediate thought was that the diff's needed shimming. I htink i might have stripped it as well. Might have to shim it a lot more
Old 07-18-2004, 06:28 AM   #629
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by hawker
I ran indoors on asphalt
I should have qualified that. When I said indoors I mean a wooden floor with no grip. I guess it wouldn't need anything doing to it for asphalt.
EVOtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 06:44 AM   #630
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by hawker
hey there

I notcied that when u exit the corner u do lose a bit of control, my immediate thought was that the diff's needed shimming. I htink i might have stripped it as well. Might have to shim it a lot more

Yeh, maybe we have the same problem. I shimmed the rear diff nicely but not so much the oneway I think. I will be getting some more stuff soon and I will try it out, but I have to get that Alloy oneway gear, and also the Ti screw set. Not a fan of the steel screws, etc.