Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB-Evolution IV >

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 AM
  #3496  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (17)
 
Tron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Is the Evolution IV still competitive? Tamiya is blowing them out for $230...

I have a 13.5 Ballistic Novak motor and speed control I could use in it. And I have lipo batteries so the only thing I would need to do is fiddle with the tray correct?

I don't want to be the fastest but I would love to be able to do some nice fast laps for fun and maybe race beginner.

Will the 13.5 be good in this chassis?
Tron is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
  #3497  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
RC-ProSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,066
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

If you get the car, please let me know if you find a Lipo battery tray fot his car...
RC-ProSpeed is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM
  #3498  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (17)
 
Tron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Previously in this thread someone mentioned velcro works well...
Tron is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM
  #3499  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
Csaari77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,500
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Haven't had a problem mounting a lipo in my EVO IV. It's a little more lipo friendly than Tamiya's belt drive lineup.

This chassis should be fine with a 13.5. You will need to get your shimming right in your drivetrain. You will rip up a lot of gears if you don't have it spot on with that much power.
Csaari77 is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 06:16 PM
  #3500  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (14)
 
phisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Three Rivers, Michigan
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Is the Evolution IV still competitive?
The Evo IV is great for 17.5 or 13.5 classes. If your going to run modified, you might want to look elsewhere. I ran my Evo IV all last year and it ran great. You can also easily find replacement parts for this chassis.


Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed View Post
If you get the car, please let me know if you find a Lipo battery tray fot his car...
I run Fantom Racing 3200mAh lipo batteries in my Evo IV. The bottom of the battery is shaped to fit in the battery slots. I bought some velcro at Home Depot and wrap two pieces around either end of the battery and battery bar. This hold it tight and doesn't allow movement.

The only issues I have had with the Evo IV is it's inabilities to easily run foam tires up front. You will need to shave off some of the width. If you look back a few pages I have linked setups compiled in this thread. I hope this helps.
phisher is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 PM
  #3501  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
RC-ProSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,066
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by phisher View Post
The Evo IV is great for 17.5 or 13.5 classes. If your going to run modified, you might want to look elsewhere. I ran my Evo IV all last year and it ran great. You can also easily find replacement parts for this chassis.




I run Fantom Racing 3200mAh lipo batteries in my Evo IV. The bottom of the battery is shaped to fit in the battery slots. I bought some velcro at Home Depot and wrap two pieces around either end of the battery and battery bar. This hold it tight and doesn't allow movement.

The only issues I have had with the Evo IV is it's inabilities to easily run foam tires up front. You will need to shave off some of the width. If you look back a few pages I have linked setups compiled in this thread. I hope this helps.
Thank you for the info!

My son wil be running one this season and he makes flip overs once in a while, he was using a TC3 before where the battery was very secure there, but with the EVO IV we were kind of affraid the battery was going to come off

We will try the Velcro and see so it goes...
RC-ProSpeed is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
  #3502  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
HarryN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed View Post
Thank you for the info!

My son wil be running one this season and he makes flip overs once in a while, he was using a TC3 before where the battery was very secure there, but with the EVO IV we were kind of affraid the battery was going to come off

We will try the Velcro and see so it goes...
Junior will be fine! Don't worry.
HarryN is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 AM
  #3503  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
RC-ProSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,066
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Junior will be fine! Don't worry.
I sure hope so! he build the kit they give him at the nationals by himself... he is so exhited to run it but he is doesnt like the idea of using tape since is hard for him to do...

See you soon
G.
RC-ProSpeed is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 AM
  #3504  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (14)
 
phisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Three Rivers, Michigan
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed View Post
We will try the Velcro and see so it goes...
They are Velcro Cable Ties. You can pick them up at Home Depot for cheap. They come with two rolls per pack, one black and one gray. Here is what they look like. http://www.lextec.com/images/po_die-cut_strap.jpg
phisher is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM
  #3505  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
RC-ProSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,066
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by phisher View Post
They are Velcro Cable Ties. You can pick them up at Home Depot for cheap. They come with two rolls per pack, one black and one gray. Here is what they look like. http://www.lextec.com/images/po_die-cut_strap.jpg

Thanks! those will be easier for him to install the battery
RC-ProSpeed is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
  #3506  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
RC-ProSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,066
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Well, My son finally ran the car, handles good out of the box!
Great car... competitive at least in the not to fast classes (Vintage, RCGT) Thanks again for the tips on the battery straps, he was able to install the baterry without asking me for help (He is 9yrs old and he doesn't have the patience with the tape )
RC-ProSpeed is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
  #3507  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
HarryN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed View Post
Well, My son finally ran the car, handles good out of the box!
Great car... competitive at least in the not to fast classes (Vintage, RCGT) Thanks again for the tips on the battery straps, he was able to install the baterry without asking me for help (He is 9yrs old and he doesn't have the patience with the tape )
He may be 9 yrs old, but he has a lot of talent!! If he keeps at this, he could be the next Marc Reinhardt! Or better yet, our local heroes Sam Isaac, Vince Jackson, and Robbie Dodge!
HarryN is offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 AM
  #3508  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
RC-ProSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,066
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
He may be 9 yrs old, but he has a lot of talent!! If he keeps at this, he could be the next Marc Reinhardt! Or better yet, our local heroes Sam Isaac, Vince Jackson, and Robbie Dodge!
Thanks Harry, would be nice, but I still think that i'll cut his budget if he beats me
RC-ProSpeed is offline  
Old 07-02-2010, 05:22 PM
  #3509  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (35)
 
tiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Up for sale EVO IV MS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ars-parts.html
tiko is offline  
Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 AM
  #3510  
Tech Apprentice
 
rustong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Azusa.Ca
Posts: 77
Default Stabilizer bar size

I recently purchased the TB Evolution 4. My question is the stock silver 1.4mm stabilizer bars (part #'s 5305063 & 5305064) are considered to be what size? Soft, medium, or hard?

Thanks,
rustong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.