R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2005, 10:53 AM   #3091
Tech Addict
 
fraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 653
Send a message via AIM to fraz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odawg315
if you have 0 deg hobs, just run the same blocks in the rear, fr same as rr.
Yes that is true but the stock hubs are 1 degree. The 0 degree aluminum hubs are only available if you buy that MS worlds hopup kit AFAIK. Pretty expensive if you ask me. I am leaving for the TCS nats at Tamiya this afternoon, I will see if they offer the hubs separately.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #3092
Tech Master
 
Csaari77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,494
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

The 0 deg. hubs are available separetly They are part #53807.
__________________
Half-A$$ Racing - Problem solved, problem staying solved!
Awesomatix - Serpent - Tekin - Futaba - Cooper Motorsports.
Csaari77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 PM   #3093
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,049
Default

Wow, look what I found in the basement! Where's everybody at???

I ran my new EVO for the first time this past weekend and was quite impressed. It seems to handle tighter tracks much better than my EVO III did, or maybe it was my imagination.

I do however have one question..... why is the so much toe-in toe-out slop in the rear carriers?? Is there a cure for this, or are my rear carriers not setup properly??

Thanks again!
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #3094
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 149
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Can you buy ms bulkheads seperately? What are the part #'s?
alien too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:31 PM   #3095
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,049
Default

Wow, I wished this thread got the kind of attention the 415 thread gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Warner
Wow, look what I found in the basement! Where's everybody at???

I ran my new EVO for the first time this past weekend and was quite impressed. It seems to handle tighter tracks much better than my EVO III did, or maybe it was my imagination.

I do however have one question..... why is the so much toe-in toe-out slop in the rear carriers?? Is there a cure for this, or are my rear carriers not setup properly??

Thanks again!
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #3096
Tech Master
 
berger's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 1,149
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The alloy rear hubs make the rear slop slightly better i think, but the car has a lot of slop in the front too, i guess some thin motor shims (those white plastic type ones) could be used to make it a little better....
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:25 PM   #3097
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,049
Default

Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try. It also seems like there quite a bit of play in where the bearings sit, maybe the aluminum carriers will help there as well?

Thanks!
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #3098
Tech Elite
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Warner
Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try. It also seems like there quite a bit of play in where the bearings sit, maybe the aluminum carriers will help there as well?

Thanks!
The aluminum uprights help a little...but these help a LOT with the slop. Mine flopped all over the place...got the shaft kit and it's pretty tight now...bought the aluminum uprights anyways...LOL
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #3099
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,049
Default

Thanks for the valuable information! It does make sense that that's where the problem originates from. Using a setscrew would help.

Thanks again!
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
The aluminum uprights help a little...but these help a LOT with the slop. Mine flopped all over the place...got the shaft kit and it's pretty tight now...bought the aluminum uprights anyways...LOL
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #3100
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,049
Default

Okay, I have another silly question......

Does this version seem to be a little more "fragile" than the previous versions like the EVO III?? How does it compare to the 415?
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #3101
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,443
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Well the gears/mesh/3 piece shaft design is better than the EvoIII design. So it's stronger in that sense. But the suspension is more fragile than the EvoIII and original 415 suspension.

Like what Turbo Joe said, get the stainless pin set. It helps alot with slop. A few motor shims may also help too.

I run Aluminum rear hubs. And Square aluminum from knuckles. Car runs great in Stock Class. In Mod, works great with the plastic spool. But it's kinda on the torque'y side for me. Not as smooth as a belt car. I think it's my "stock" finger though hehe.

Anyways, I love the car. Suspension is very tunable. Drive train is the free'est of all the shaft cars I've owned. It's smooth. And it's just soo damn good looking! Especially with the clear diff covers. Sweet!! I just wish they made a thicker chassis for carpet.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #3102
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,049
Default

That's exactly what I was talking about... the suspension! I broke two rear hubs this afternoon, and it didn't take much of a hit. I guess I'll be picking some aluminum ones without a doubt. I never had that problem with the EVO III, in fact I only remember it breaking two times in two years. I only run stock, as mod is and always has been out of the question for an old timer like myself! You're abosolutly correct.... it IS a very pretty car, especially with the clear blue diff covers!! I was thinking of parting ways with the car, but maybe with a few upgrades, I can make it work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilRuf
Well the gears/mesh/3 piece shaft design is better than the EvoIII design. So it's stronger in that sense. But the suspension is more fragile than the EvoIII and original 415 suspension.

Like what Turbo Joe said, get the stainless pin set. It helps alot with slop. A few motor shims may also help too.

I run Aluminum rear hubs. And Square aluminum from knuckles. Car runs great in Stock Class. In Mod, works great with the plastic spool. But it's kinda on the torque'y side for me. Not as smooth as a belt car. I think it's my "stock" finger though hehe.

Anyways, I love the car. Suspension is very tunable. Drive train is the free'est of all the shaft cars I've owned. It's smooth. And it's just soo damn good looking! Especially with the clear diff covers. Sweet!! I just wish they made a thicker chassis for carpet.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #3103
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tacoma, Wa
Posts: 1,466
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to todb
Default

i drove mine for the first time yesterday. it was sweet and i did not break a thing on carpet in stock. still getting used to the shaft but itis fun to grab as much as the car hold and not worry about it. only real challenge is it smooth out the diffs. just need to to rebuild. does the ms have the lightweight suspension?. sweet ride though, worth every penny
__________________
OVA Neo. HW, Motiv.
Orange is faster.
todb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #3104
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,443
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, I TOO was thinking on getting rid of the car. But it just works too good for me in Stock. Plus lately I've been playing around more and more with setups. And that's helped out too. Wish I had the MS (just to have the one piece lower bulkheads). But my IV is just fine the way it is.

Yes, the EvoIV and EvoIV MS both have the same LW suspension. Only difference with suspension "change" is the MS comes with 415 suspension mounts that are 1mm lower than the original EvoIV mounts. Basically changes roll centers. 415 mounts have the "1"X or 1C, etc. It has the "1" on it before the letter. The EvoIV mounts just have a letter on it... "C" or "A"... etc.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #3105
Tech Adept
 
ljohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Delta BC, Canada
Posts: 183
Default Evo Iv MS stock setup vs Evo IV

For those of you wondering, the setup changes between the MS and not MS version:

Std blocks are A,A in front A,E in the rear with the plastic uprights (3 degrees toe)
The MS version is built with 1A,1A in front and 1XB,1D in the rear, but with 1mm spacers under all of the blocks. This is equivalent to A,A and XB*,D, so I don't really see why they didn't use the evo blocks, unless it's to give us the option to lower the blocks. Have any of you tried this ?

The rear toe is the same 3 degrees but the MS is narrower in the rear.
In the stock settings the roll centers are the same - same hinge pin height and camber link height.

The rear sway bar is different - narrower in the MS and it mounts on the balls on the out side front of the arm rather than the inside. Is this how the 415 is?


*XB doesn't exist as far as I know
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Schumacher Mi2, Tamiya M02, Tamiya TA04-S, Tamiya TB Evolution 3 Surikarn Ltd st_rob Australia For Sale/Trade 4 12-23-2008 07:37 PM
FS: Tamiya TB Evolution II (NEW) ivan3721 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 05-18-2008 05:56 PM
FS: Tamiya TB Evolution 5 veecee Australia For Sale/Trade 3 07-20-2007 08:13 PM
tamiya tb evolution 5 b-man777 Electric On-Road 1 05-24-2006 11:38 AM
XXX-S GP VS Tamiya Evolution III capricess Electric On-Road 29 01-27-2003 08:49 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:55 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net