Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB-Evolution IV >

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Old 03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by F. Alonso
Ahhhhh, but you are only a traitor if you leave the manufacturer!!! TRAITOR!!!

Hope the Yoke treats you well buddy.
half traitor! car is running good. but no spares yet. gotta pick some up. so ive been driving very tentative lately.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeh, maybe a half traitor. I can accept that I think.

It is a massive bummer having no spares for the car. I had that with the Evo IV when I first got it (July 2004) and it was just nutz to have such an awesome car and to be babying it around the track.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Has anybody switched back to the old style suspension? Like the one on the 415, or the EVO III. I spent all day yesterday fixing things, and got really really sick of it, plus replacing at least one or two 5x9 bearings every week is getting really really old.

My breakage was one rear hub carrier, two knuckles and 3 ball studs. Plus people borrowed, front carrier two knuckles and some misc. hardware, thanks to the hobby shop not having anything in stock.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Evo 4

Anyone know a good website for Evo 4 Tamiya Hop ups
Old 03-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

fire929, Check out http://victorracing.com/catalog/ If Victor doesn't have it, he will get it for you quickly and at a good price. I talked to him last night and he had all of the parts I needed in stock.

Loosenut, I haven't run this car yet at RCCAR but I will as soon as this rain stops. I have a setup for SCRC which is also pavement with VHT. Send me a PM as a reminder and I will type it up from my setup book.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by GroffBall
Has anybody switched back to the old style suspension? Like the one on the 415, or the EVO III. I spent all day yesterday fixing things, and got really really sick of it, plus replacing at least one or two 5x9 bearings every week is getting really really old.
People have tried the old suspension and it doesn't work. The car is designed well and the suspension arms are fine. As for the bearings, how are you treating and maintaining them?

How many runs before failure?
What kind of bearings?
How do you prep them?
Maintenance interval?
Carpet or pavement?
Are the axles shimmed too tight when the wheel nut is tight?
What kind of bearing oil?
What class do you run? (I run mod and I had one bearing failure before I switched to ceramic)
Shields, one shield, or no shields?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

I clean and oil my bearings every week with motor spray and then oil with trinity bearing oil. Sheilds on both sides. Properly shimmed (been doing this for 15 years) I am maintaining them just like every other bearing. Our track is pretty tight and it seems like maybe hitting things is doing them in. I don't smack the pipes often but it happens. Lately I've been running 19T. I've tried dynamite bearings, duratrax, and obviously the stock ones.

Do the ceramic bearings hold up better?

I had enough stuff lying around to try and fit it with the old suspension and it just didn't work very well. So the car sits till I get steering knuckles from Hong Kong...Darn backorder.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

The ceramics are much better and roll very smooth.

IMO if you are running on carpet, bearings this small need a tighter maintenance schedule. I have found pieces of carpet in my bearings after one run. If left alone, the bearing will fry quickly.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by GroffBall

My breakage was one rear hub carrier, two knuckles and 3 ball studs. Plus people borrowed, front carrier two knuckles and some misc. hardware, thanks to the hobby shop not having anything in stock.
I've used the old suspension. It works perfect. Front suspension needs to be modified for a correct wheelbase. This modification works great on high grip carpet.

As for the 5x9 bearings, never had problems with it. I run the new suspension almost every week since june last year. Even raced the rain.
What kind of faillure does the bearing have?

Last edited by C van der Hagen; 03-22-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

With Van Hagen on that one. Been using LW suspension since late July. Had like 2 seized bearings or something, and I've had some HUGE hits before. I also use the Square aluminium uprights too now, not sure if that makes it more or less likely to seize them.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

GroffBall, If you want to use the "old school" suspension, get the SS Hard arm set. You can use the front arms from this set to get the right wheel base that you will need.

I've only had trouble with the kit bearings. And obviously trouble in a hard "side" impact. Currently I have some Squat bearings in the car. But I'd like to switch to ceramics some day.

I use the Pro4 front spindles on my car. So the bearings are larger. But for the TCS race.. I had to switch back to the stock front spindles and axles. Not only does the Pro4 spindles let you run larger bearings, but it lets you run 28mm foams without rubbing and also I run CVD's as well. Infact, that's what I ran for the club race at the RCO the night before the TCS race.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Evo 4

Check Evo 4 for sale on sale forum $300 shipped
Old 03-24-2005, 02:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Talking EVO4 MS in hands

Building it up as wee speak... the new bulk heads are the sHiZ' ... pic"s to follow with a track report buy the end of the weekend
-Dave
Old 03-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by KilRuf
GroffBall, If you want to use the "old school" suspension, get the SS Hard arm set. You can use the front arms from this set to get the right wheel base that you will need.

I've only had trouble with the kit bearings. And obviously trouble in a hard "side" impact. Currently I have some Squat bearings in the car. But I'd like to switch to ceramics some day.

I use the Pro4 front spindles on my car. So the bearings are larger. But for the TCS race.. I had to switch back to the stock front spindles and axles. Not only does the Pro4 spindles let you run larger bearings, but it lets you run 28mm foams without rubbing and also I run CVD's as well. Infact, that's what I ran for the club race at the RCO the night before the TCS race.
Thanks for all the info. I might have to try those HPI parts before I go back to the old stuff.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Is the Evo IV MS out in the states yet? I've got one pre-ordered and I going crazy waiting for it. Are the new trans cases going to help with the tweaking problems of the original car?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.