R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-22-2004, 08:45 AM   #1906
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Okay, You've sold me.

I've been trying to get those carbon shafts for AGES!!!! They aren't in stock anywhere unfortunately so I figure I'll get one of them, and a transparent blue gear covers, etc.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #1907
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I know I'm goinf for the blue tranparent covers as well. Going to order some soon. Want to see if my local shop can get them first and if not I will just order them on Ebay.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #1908
Tech Regular

I would very much doubt if your local shop could get them as they are not a retail item and were produced only the the tokyo hobby show 2004.

I think your best bet is ebay
Ballsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:30 AM   #1909
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

true... i got some clear ones from him last week, and am getting some blue ones today, too.

anyone use the clear or blue drive cups? i wondered if they are the same material, or as durable as the reg black ones. the steering post spacers and servo mounts are veeery nice as well!!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #1910
Tech Regular

Hi, what is the IV actually like on carpet, fast and flowing and high traction. by the way i race stock as xmas is round the corner

Chazz

Last edited by Chazz; 11-22-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #1911
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Quote:
Originally posted by Chazz
Hi, what is the IV actually like on carpet, fast and flowing and high traction. by the way i race stock as xmas is round the corner

Chazz
I really liked the Evo4 on carpet. It was great on high bite carpet and pretty darn good in low bite carpet. It also worked quite well on high bite asphalt though I am still working on a setup for low bite asphalt.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 PM   #1912
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
This is a prototype "progressive" suspension and it works very well. The shock is mounted onto the hub and allows you to run a really soft rear spring. The car is stable when there are low lateral loads as well as entering corners and coming out of them. Mid corner the car carries a lot of corner speed as the suspension compresses and "stiffens up". In testing, on the second or third run, the car felt as good and stable as my 415 did at the Reedy Race but this setup had much more corner speed. At the worlds, David had two cars prepared, one with the new suspsension and one with the prototype stuff and he decided on the proto car to run. Fernando also ran the suspension on his 415 with some modifications. David is the macdad when it comes to thinking outside of the box. As for production, I'm not sure if/when it'll come out but it's promising.

The silver ball studs? They are factory titanium balls studs from way back when....unless David ran out and used old steel ones.
Hi Rod,

Very interesting. Maybe I just need to see it all assembled to understand it better.

BTW, I said silver ball "cups". Look at the pic. Instead of the plain black plastic, the silver ones look sweet.

Any races going on in SoCal over the xmas holiday? I will be down visiting family and want to run.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:00 PM   #1913
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
What are you guys doing to run 28mm foams on this car?
Yep, cut 'em down!! Put on some safety glasses, chuck up your tire in the lathe, and hold and xacto steady to the inside edge of the wheel. I cut off about 1.5mm from each wheel. Then I ran 1.5mm spacers in the front and 2mm in the rear. It fit inside the 190mm tech box at the regionals without problems so it should be legal. I did grind a bit of the knuckle on the front too but there is not much material to work with there either.

WARNING: You really should use safety glasses. I got a piece of hot molten rubber/plastic in the corner of my eye last time and it sucked!
Old 11-22-2004, 02:07 PM   #1914
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by fraz
I really liked the Evo4 on carpet. It was great on high bite carpet and pretty darn good in low bite carpet. It also worked quite well on high bite asphalt though I am still working on a setup for low bite asphalt.
Hi, i've seen people write up of problems with chassis tweak is there any way of solving this and are there any option parts which you recommend.

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #1915
Tech Addict

Chassis' get tweaked when you hit stuff. Simple solution is to not hit stuff but not always practical. I understand the 415 is succeptable to tweak as well so what is the diff?

The first I did to fix the Evo4 tweak was countersink the top deck. It helped a bunch. This car really needs a 3mm chassis and upper deck IMNSHO. The next step is I am going to make a solid 3mm upper deck and completely countersink it and I think that should help quite a bit.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #1916
Tech Addict

Default chassis tweak

I was looking at this chassis as a possible solution for chassis tweak:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~kmodels/ev4-kai-top.htm

Anybody know where to get one online?
Old 11-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #1917
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Chassis' get tweaked when you hit stuff. Simple solution is to not hit stuff but not always practical. I understand the 415 is succeptable to tweak as well so what is the diff?

The first I did to fix the Evo4 tweak was countersink the top deck. It helped a bunch. This car really needs a 3mm chassis and upper deck IMNSHO. The next step is I am going to make a solid 3mm upper deck and completely countersink it and I think that should help quite a bit.
While the 415 might tweek it takes a hell of a hit for it to tweek. With the evo 4 all it takes is a rub of the boards and its bent to buggery. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:10 PM   #1918
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Yep, cut 'em down!! Put on some safety glasses, chuck up your tire in the lathe, and hold and xacto steady to the inside edge of the wheel. I cut off about 1.5mm from each wheel. Then I ran 1.5mm spacers in the front and 2mm in the rear. It fit inside the 190mm tech box at the regionals without problems so it should be legal. I did grind a bit of the knuckle on the front too but there is not much material to work with there either.

WARNING: You really should use safety glasses. I got a piece of hot molten rubber/plastic in the corner of my eye last time and it sucked!
Cool. I will check it out when I get the car later this week. That is really the only pain about the Tamiya cars is that they don't accept wider foams. I might have another way to fit them on so I will check once the car arrives.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #1919
wyd
Tech Legend

Default Re: chassis tweak

Quote:
I was looking at this chassis as a possible solution for chassis tweak:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~kmodels/ev4-kai-top.htm

Anybody know where to get one online?
That is very trick looking chassis setup. KAI always has wild looking setups.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #1920
wyd
Tech Legend

Any sites that have setups posted for the EVO IV and blank setup sheets? Does the instructions show what the different toe blocks are for? I see they have an A,B,C,D, E and X.

Thanks
Brian

Last edited by wyd; 11-22-2004 at 08:57 PM.