R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2004, 10:20 PM   #1786
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Hey Dave, why don't you have the Evo IV as part of your signature any more?? You still have it don't you??

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:11 AM   #1787
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Hey Dave, why don't you have the Evo IV as part of your signature any more?? You still have it don't you??
Nope...sold it... to much chassis/bulkhead issues to worry about.. don`t get me wrong..great car..but it`s lacking on High bite tracks and if you tap a board.. the car is night and day different.. and you can tell after you put the car on a tweek board
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 AM   #1788
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
ok il get sum xenon.i used to use the rw ones but there too weak
Using AKA ultralights indoors now after minor bit of work on top deck to accomodate 105T spur.

I still have your fridge!
EVOtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:49 AM   #1789
Tech Elite

Hey, I'm just trying to find a fairly baseline setup for this car so that I can tweak it for my driving. So far... my setup is as follows:

--Front:
camber == -2-3 degrees I think (no camber guage)
toe == +1
caster == Kit settings
droop == 3
front drive == Ball Diff
upper arm spacer == 2
upper arm position inner == 1
ride height == 6
bladder limiter == red urethane
piston == 3 hole
oil == Kit Oil (40wt I think)
spring == Tamiya Yellow
swaybar == yellow (medium)
f.susp mount == A
r.susp mount == A
f.susp mount spacer == 2mm
r.susp mount spacer == 2mm
upper shock position == 3
lower shock position == 2
wheel spacer == 2mm
tire == Take Off 27

--Rear:
camber == -2-3 I think
droop == 3
upper arm spacer == 2
upper arm position inner == 2
ride height == 6
bladder limiter == red urethane
piston == 3 hole
oil == Kit Oil (40 wt I think)
spring == Tamiya Red
swaybar == yellow (medium)
f.susp mount == A
r.susp mount == E
f.susp mount spacer == 2mm
r.susp mount spacer == 2mm
upper shock position == 2
lower shock position == 2
upper arm position inner == 2
upper arm position outer == B
tire == Take Off 27

--General:
body == Protoform Mazda 6
battery == Orion GP3300 1.184 packs
motor == Peak Vantage Surikarn Edition 10x1
pinion == 24
spur == 96

This so far has been my only baseline setup as I've had like no chance to get down to the track to test. The car seemed to be, very taily. It was generally only in the low speed acceleration and also in braking areas where the rear would just lose it. It was also slightly understeery through some of the slower corners but especially oversteery in the higher speed corners. Is there any recommendations that anyone could give to me for both a Stock, and Modified Setup??? Thanks guys, feel free to PM me as this could clog up the forums quite considerably.

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks for everything!

Old 11-12-2004, 05:56 PM   #1790
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Yep. Try Takeoff 22s in the rear and it will calm that oversteer down a lot and get the rear to stick better. I don't know what your surface temp is like but these are the tires I use when I run rubber. If the temp is hotter you might want to go to 32/27 tires.

I would cut down on the negative camber. I always set my electric cars at -1 degrees and usually have no more than -1.5. Getting the ride height down a little might help too. I consider 5mm a bit high but it is the minimum height on our carpet track.

If the back is still sliding and not sticking, check to make sure your diffs are tight enough. Tighten them all the way and back them off 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

The other thing I found was the droop settings people posted were not where I think they work the best. I run 3mm droop with foam tires but it is because I have to in order to keep from preloading the springs. When I was running rubber (roughly 62mm dia) I set it at 4mm front and rear measured at lowest outer point of the arm and not the set screw boss. With 4mm droop the car worked awesome and was fast in transition. The easy test it this. Set your car up with even droop and put it all together with tires. Once you settle your suspension, pick the car up from the center of the chassis with an xacto and see how far the car rises before the wheels come off the ground. You want roughly 0-1mm in the front and 1-2mm in the rear for starters and you can adjust from there. I really liked my car best with no rise in the front and only 1mm rise in the rear. The transistion was super fast and the car handled flat with minimal body roll. On a lower traction pavement track you will want to increase the droop to make the car stick better because the roll is then more desireable.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:20 PM   #1791
Tech Elite

At our race track, the surface is quite rough. It was originally an old tennis court so its a pretty harsh asphalt, at least compared to other tracks that I have run on. I have been meaning to get some Take Off 22s so I might try that. The ambient temperature was 14 degrees and it was quite late in the day so probably falling a bit. The tyres were quite warm though when I took the car off the track, so I think that the tyres may have been quite alright, even perhaps a little bit cold for the mod motor.

I've decided to change a few things for my next run out there. I have gone to the 4 degree caster blocks, change springs to lbue up front and yellow at rear, taken off the anti-roll bars and that's about it for the moment. Hopefully that will settle the car down a bit more. Its generally just in the slower corners from initial acceleration and braking. Oh, and I've put the one-way back in.

I'm looking forward to getting back out onto the track, but the weather looks awful for the next few days.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:21 AM   #1792
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS STORTI

anyone interested in a great deal on a evoIV

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT
DENNIS STORTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:11 AM   #1793
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by EVOtech
Using AKA ultralights indoors now after minor bit of work on top deck to accomodate 105T spur.

I still have your fridge!

lol.oooooooooooppps.lol.erms,when is the next race at eltham?il come and collect it lol.how much is the damage?
i 'lost' ur mobile number.
i had to many and delete some of them and yours lol.by accident of course hehe.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:16 PM   #1794
Tech Addict

Cool

got my evo IV and its great.....great great....its now ready for racing with a peak motor and a gt7 speedo. have a small concern thgough, the rear end seems to have too much toe in. how do i remedy this?
cooliomojo-CEBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:31 PM   #1795
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

coolio mojo...how much u got it? we don't have any supplier here in Sabah. my EVO 3 is out of front bevel gear...stupid direct link shaft

anyway....can u direct me to any online shop? thanks.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #1796
Tech Addict

Cool

jfc.....you wouldn believe how much i got it. i bought it from my boss who sold it to me for a whistle...i got the kit (peak vantage motor, gt7, futaba 9451,3matched batteries, a car stand, about 150$ worth of brandnew parts, a nemesis body, yokomo rims and a couple of sorex tires for only 490$. he only used it a couple of times.... we assembled it together and wow, it is a great car. have the evo 2 and the evo 3 and i say this car is so much better. if you want, we have a local supplier here were i can get the kit for you. we also have alot of bevel gears for your evo 3 if you still want to fix it.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:58 PM   #1797
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Quote:
Originally posted by cooliomojo-CEBU
jfc.....you wouldn believe how much i got it. i bought it from my boss who sold it to me for a whistle...i got the kit (peak vantage motor, gt7, futaba 9451,3matched batteries, a car stand, about 150$ worth of brandnew parts, a nemesis body, yokomo rims and a couple of sorex tires for only 490$. he only used it a couple of times.... we assembled it together and wow, it is a great car. have the evo 2 and the evo 3 and i say this car is so much better. if you want, we have a local supplier here were i can get the kit for you. we also have alot of bevel gears for your evo 3 if you still want to fix it.
that price is in philipines dollar or USdollar??? we are in Ringgit Malaysia(RM3.8 to 1USD).
does yer local supplier has an online shop where i can view their products? thanks.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:04 PM   #1798
Tech Addict

Cool

the price is in US dollars. our supplier here does not have any online shops. what we usually do is call them up and they just send the kits to us. they even deliver it straight to the race track. just PM me if you need anything. we can get you any kits from tamiya, xray or hpi at a good price.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:18 AM   #1799
Tech Regular

When using the 66p xenon spur gears, what make of pinion gear do you use with them?

Cheers
Ballsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:26 AM   #1800
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
lol.oooooooooooppps.lol.erms,when is the next race at eltham?il come and collect it lol.how much is the damage?
i 'lost' ur mobile number.
i had to many and delete some of them and yours lol.by accident of course hehe.
This Friday.... 13 quid
EVOtech is offline   Reply With Quote