R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #1741
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

This is the second shot, the F201 ball end. Should be 6mm in size by memory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballend.jpg (96.4 KB, 200 views)

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:32 PM   #1742
Tech Addict

Cool

About to buy new kit and im leaning towards the evo 4...could you please help me out with the following questions...1. Is the car durable compared with other top sedans such as the pro 4 and the xray t1fk? 2. Does it have an inherent weakness in design and in the material used? 3. Is it good for mod and stock racing? 4. is it a good buy since it is one heck of an expensive kit? hope you can help me with these...thanks
cooliomojo-CEBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:38 AM   #1743
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Quote:
Originally posted by cooliomojo-CEBU
About to buy new kit and im leaning towards the evo 4...could you please help me out with the following questions...1. Is the car durable compared with other top sedans such as the pro 4 and the xray t1fk? 2. Does it have an inherent weakness in design and in the material used? 3. Is it good for mod and stock racing? 4. is it a good buy since it is one heck of an expensive kit? hope you can help me with these...thanks
1. Not too much experience myself with other non-tamiya cars personally, but the Evo IV is MUCH more reliable then the previous Evo cars from Tamiya. They have resolved the spur and one-way chewing that had been plaguing them for ages, and now the main weakness now is in the plastic drive cups, but Tamiya + others, have released an aluminium version to solve that too. I think its quite reliable.

2. See above really. I also think that like any Tamiya product, the materials used are nothing but the best in terms of quality. Its like buying a BMW instead of a Ford. Its all refined.

3. Yes, the car is good for both forms of racing.

4. It is quite expensive really, especially since you don't get any extra goodies like verying thicknesses of stabilizers amongst other things. When I was looking at kits I looked across the board with the 415, Xray T1FK, HPI Pro 4 and the Evo IV. I decided that I preferred the feel of a shaft driven car and I could get parts easier and better with the Evo IV then the Pro 4.

I don't know if that helps you out much, but that's my little input on the topic.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:04 PM   #1744
Tech Regular

Default De-slopping

After racing on Friday, found that the front end had developed some unwanted slop.

Cured it using PTFE motor shims

0.4mm between the front block and the arm and 0.2mm between the arm and upright. Its a bit tight at first, but soon works in OK.
EVOtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:13 PM   #1745
Tech Regular

Hi, it's nearly the winter season over here in the UK (or it's just started) and i'm going to be racing on high grip carpet which is on quiet a big circuit. I was wondering what the IV is like on carpet in stock . At the moment i've got $540 to play with, from selling a few of my un-wanted cars and i want really the best i can aford. Also after the winter i'll be racing outside on ashphalt . Is there anything bad about the IV and any tips on building it and any set up difficulties also any extras which you can make it go better.

Thanks Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #1746
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

I just got back from the Region 12 carpet regionals here in California and being the only evo4 out there I had to figure out my own setup. The grip was very high and fast. Over the 3 days there I have come up with a pretty good baseline setup and I hope to refine it over the winter.

I have run the asphalt in stock and both asphalt and carpet in 19t. This weekend however, I was running mod on carpet and I really had fun driving this car (until the main where I stripped the front bevel gear).

What I have found is a complete lack of setups for this car. Come on people, do you mean to tell me that you are all running the kit setup? I didn't place in the a-main but certainly had an a-main car and had lots o' fun. I will post my setup soon as soon as I write it all down in my setup book so I don't forget
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:40 PM   #1747
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Chazz
Hi, it's nearly the winter season over here in the UK (or it's just started) and i'm going to be racing on high grip carpet which is on quiet a big circuit. I was wondering what the IV is like on carpet in stock . At the moment i've got $540 to play with, from selling a few of my un-wanted cars and i want really the best i can aford. Also after the winter i'll be racing outside on ashphalt . Is there anything bad about the IV and any tips on building it and any set up difficulties also any extras which you can make it go better.

Thanks Chazz
Hmm, just could say everybody from the TRF guys here were going back to the 415 or just didnīt even tried the EVO IV.
I was at the Team Orion race in Zillisheim/France and you could see very few EVO IVīs. Steen Graversen used both cars during practice but used the 415 in the race also.
Marc did race his 415 as usual.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:47 PM   #1748
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: De-slopping

Quote:
Originally posted by EVOtech
After racing on Friday, found that the front end had developed some unwanted slop.

Cured it using PTFE motor shims

0.4mm between the front block and the arm and 0.2mm between the arm and upright. Its a bit tight at first, but soon works in OK.
i used the following for removing slop on the lightweight suspension for my 415. (evoIV is coming soon )

Front:
2 - 0.1mm on the hinge pin btw C-hub and a-arm

2 - 0.1mm inside the C-hub/steering knuckle (one on top, one on the bottom)

1 - 0.1mm or 0.2mm on the axles before the bearings (forgot which thickness)

Rear:
1 - 0.1mm or 0.2mm on the axles before the bearings (forgot which thickness)

1 - 0.1mm on the hinge pin btw C-hub and a-arm
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:42 PM   #1749
Tech Addict

Quote:
I don't know if that helps you out much, but that's my little input on the topic
That really helped me a lot. Thanks for the info. Yep, i was a bit hesitant to buy the evo IV because of the price but i have realized from you that it is a good buy.will probably ask you some more questions once i have the kit.
cooliomojo-CEBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 PM   #1750
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

If anyone is interested in a Mint EVO4 check back a few pages for my pics....I need to sell it pretty soon or I'll be trying to convert if for foam tires

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #1751
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by V12
Hmm, just could say everybody from the TRF guys here were going back to the 415 or just didnīt even tried the EVO IV.
I was at the Team Orion race in Zillisheim/France and you could see very few EVO IVīs. Steen Graversen used both cars during practice but used the 415 in the race also.
Do you have the results from the race?

BTW. I'm still racing the EVO IV and will be racing it in the near future.

Chris
TRF Holland
C van der Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #1752
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by C van der Hagen
Do you have the results from the race?

BTW. I'm still racing the EVO IV and will be racing it in the near future.

Chris
TRF Holland
Yes I have the results. Will post this and some pictures later today in a different thread. Just had the pictures resized.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #1753
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by V12
wyh is dis?the only thing i find wrong wiv the evo4 i the wheelbase.i put the front all the way back with 2mm shim in front of the rear wheelbase.this seems to have improved it a great deal
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:43 AM   #1754
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
wyh is dis?the only thing i find wrong wiv the evo4 i the wheelbase.i put the front all the way back with 2mm shim in front of the rear wheelbase.this seems to have improved it a great deal
Maybe these guys just found out their 415 handled better than the EVO IV. Also indoors nobody here uses the new suspension so the EVO IV makes no sense.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #1755
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by V12
Maybe these guys just found out their 415 handled better than the EVO IV. Also indoors nobody here uses the new suspension so the EVO IV makes no sense.
well how wud the evo4 work wiv da old suspension?
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote