Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by KilRuf
The Evo IV may be stiff enough for rubber tire carpet. But not for foam tire carpet. It flexs way too much.
So, is this because of difference in grip with foams? I've never heard of foam tyre carpet before, it always seems to be rubber over here.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by jeffreylin
My friend busted his steering plate as well but he was bashing on the street and it hit the curb.
Oh okay, what I have done in the meantime while the aluminium one is being made up from my friend, is I've hooked up a tierod at the same length of the steering plate. Everything should work fine now and it looks quite good so yeh, all should be good. :-)
Old 10-08-2004, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

I tried my Evo on the carpet yesterday and it seemed pretty good. My only complaint is that the steering throw is very uneven. I put the servo saver on so that the pillow ball is 90 degrees up, but the actual tire throw is 24degrees to the right and 19 degrees to the left. If anyone knows how to remedy this It would be greatly appreciated. Also what is a good base steering throw for a Touring car with the dual rates at 100%. I have never had this problem with my Xray or TC3, so I'm kind of in a jam.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Let it roll. The adjustment you need to make is the hole in your servo saver or servo arm position. Try moving 1 tooth if you are using an arm for the servo horn.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

I've tried moving the servo horn (stock tamiya servo saver) one tooth over but, it makes the problem even worse. When I move the horn even one tooth the position of the ball link moves 15-20 degrees from the previous tooth. I've gotten the car setup where I have the trim set at 17 steps right from center to even out the throw somewhat. Even with this I only get 19 degrees right 24 degrees left. Yesterday when I tested my car I was getting 32 degrees left 16 degrees right.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

let it roll, adjust the length of the steering linkage (the link between your servo and the steering rack) to center your front wheels. radio is only for fine tuning.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default Droop

Anybody have some setups for mod carpet and/or pavement? Mainly I wanted to get an idea of what droop settings you guys are using. I would also like to know exactly how you are measuring droop. The rear arms it is pretty obvious at the lowest point of the arm. On the front arms is everybody measuring the lowest point (screw boss that sticks down beneath the arm) or the bottom of the arm?

I tried 4mm front and rear in stock and 19t on the pavement but I still felt like the car had too much roll. Anybody else see this too?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by letitroll
I tried my Evo on the carpet yesterday and it seemed pretty good. My only complaint is that the steering throw is very uneven. I put the servo saver on so that the pillow ball is 90 degrees up, but the actual tire throw is 24degrees to the right and 19 degrees to the left. If anyone knows how to remedy this It would be greatly appreciated. Also what is a good base steering throw for a Touring car with the dual rates at 100%. I have never had this problem with my Xray or TC3, so I'm kind of in a jam.
When setting up the steering linkage arm (connects servo arm to servo saver), first check the angle that the linkage is in relation to the servo arm. If its at an angle (not parallel to the chassis), the servo arm should not be perpendicular to the chassis. The servo arm should be at a 90 degree angle to the linkage arm. This should help even your throw. If it's still a little more to one side, set your EPA on the radio.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Hi,

I currenly run a TRF 415, but I'd like an EVO IV too just to try it, especially on low grip tracks like wood surface.

Can you get a conventional front diff (from Tamiya) for the EVO IV?

Cheers.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

EVOtech, yes... traction is much higher with foam tires on carpet. It seems to be a USA (eastcoast/midwest/northern) thing. I'd prefer to race with rubber tires, but I don't live in California.

As for the steering thing. I try my best to set the linkages so that everything is centered when the wheels are straight with radio is on. Then I make sure my Dual Rates are at 100%. Then I adjust my EPA (end points) to make the servo throw end right when it reaches lock to lock. Do this to the Left as well as the Right. Then you can turn down the Dual Rate to 80-90% and go from there. My car always turns equal to the right and left.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Front and rear diffs are the same... so Yes. You can even use the Evo III diffs. Just swap out the diff gear for an Evo IV diff gear. Then shim accordingly.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for your reply - that's excellent, I feel that even the 415 with the yokomo mod diff doesn't feel right on low grip tracks.

Now where's that visa card
Old 10-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Where can I get Carpet setups for this car? I tested it out this weekend with my steering delema solved, but something just doesn't feel rite. I think the Sponsored drivers should post some of there carpet setups. I think with the proper tune this will be a great car.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone got a scanned copy of the EVO IV instruction manual that I could download?

Could you post a link to it on the forum or e-mail it to me?

I have checked tamiyaclub.com but it's not one of the manuals they have.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ballsie; 10-11-2004 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Let it roll not too many factory drivers who drive carpet in the US. As far as a set-up I have started with stock and gone from there but I have hardly any time on the car I have basically stiffened the springs and been testing tire compounds more than changing the suspension.

The car has felt strange on carpet way too planted. Martin should be finishing up with Worlds in a few weeks here and you should have some more feedback there also.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.