Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated Pan Design

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Associated Pan Design

I'm just finishing an R125 and would like to know why the pod design? It seems kludgy, complicated and very breakable. I realize the 5.1 does away with the "floating pod"...did they change the design because of complaints or what? I'm afraid to pick it up 'cause it feels like the rear is gonna break off. I mounted the motor tonight and crap...now it really feels broken.

This is my first attempt at cars. I chose the 1/12 to begin with since it is small. There is a carpeted ballroom on the main level of my building. As long as nothing else is going on in there, I can visit whenever I want and practice. I'm retired so I expect to be down there in the wee hours bashing around by myself until I get it right. Should I switch over to the "T" design? I think it would make me feel more confident that I built the thing right!

Having been a helicopter guy for the last several years, I can't help but think it feels like a crashed heli when I lift it off the table! Am I making any sense here or have I completely lost it?

By the way, I did not put this in the 1/12th thread on purpose. Since it is not a specific forum, it is like a bag full of stuff with no direction. It's just one thread??!!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

you are not off base at all, but, the 12th thread really IS the place to get these concerns answered. Of course you have opened a can of worms by letting (us) 12th guys know that you are using the 'B' word (bashing) when describing what you are gonna use this Highly Evolved Chassis for! "T"bar cars ruled the earth till single cell lipo came along, making it nearly impossible to lightly configure a t-bar chassis. 'Link' chassis, throw in a single cell lipo and go play........

as in F1 is just a expensive go-cart class.........

If you really want to exceed with 12th, find a track that runs the class, get in there and learn how to tune them. When tuned 'well' , running them is it's own reward.........I think that you'll find them to be rather expensive and down right frustrating if used just for bashing......

Mark
Old 03-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, Mark. I don't really mean bashing in the true sense since I am by myself! Anyway, I've been in RC for over 40 years. Early on when I needed to learn something I had to go off by myself simply because none of my family or friends were into it.

So, that's what I do. These R125s are really an enigma to me though. The design is way bizarre and seemingly frail and yes, I see your point about expense. "Bashing" with others could prove to be a wallet emptier. Kinda like helicopters!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kk4hg
Thanks, Mark. I don't really mean bashing in the true sense since I am by myself! Anyway, I've been in RC for over 40 years. Early on when I needed to learn something I had to go off by myself simply because none of my family or friends were into it.

So, that's what I do. These R125s are really an enigma to me though. The design is way bizarre and seemingly frail and yes, I see your point about expense. "Bashing" with others could prove to be a wallet emptier. Kinda like helicopters!
Looks like you live in DC, I know there are a couple of very nice track near you one even hosting the Nationals the end of this month. The Track at Gaithersburg MD is very nice and since ROAR has decided this will be the Nationals year for novice (sportsman Stock ) there should be plenty of time to ask questions and even some Associated Team guys hanging around.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm just finishing an R125 and would like to know why the pod design? It seems kludgy, complicated and very breakable. I realize the 5.1 does away with the "floating pod"...did they change the design because of complaints or what? I'm afraid to pick it up 'cause it feels like the rear is gonna break off. I mounted the motor tonight and crap...now it really feels broken.

This is my first attempt at cars. I chose the 1/12 to begin with since it is small. There is a carpeted ballroom on the main level of my building. As long as nothing else is going on in there, I can visit whenever I want and practice. I'm retired so I expect to be down there in the wee hours bashing around by myself until I get it right. Should I switch over to the "T" design? I think it would make me feel more confident that I built the thing right!

Having been a helicopter guy for the last several years, I can't help but think it feels like a crashed heli when I lift it off the table! Am I making any sense here or have I completely lost it?

By the way, I did not put this in the 1/12th thread on purpose. Since it is not a specific forum, it is like a bag full of stuff with no direction. It's just one thread??!!
The design has been around for a very long time and that is due to the rule that 1/12th can only use a solid rear axle or live rear axle. The suspension of this live rear axle, with motor attached, has gone through a few variations with link and T-Bar proving to be the best. Even though link cars have been around for some time, with the recent rules change to allow only single cell lipo batteries, link cars now reign supreme. Speed Zone USA has released a single cell saddle pack that is proving to be a very good battery so we should see a slight resurgence of T-Bar cars.

While the car might seem flimsy, it is quite durable and you will be amazed at how much abuse it will take before breaking. Parts are still relative inexpensive compared to some other classes of RC cars. A well set up and good handling 1/12th car will out corner any other form of RC car. The response is quick and requires patience in learning how to drive one fast.

The best thing you can do is go to a local track that races 1/12th and lean. Don't be afraid to ask questions as most 1/12th racers prove to be a friendly bunch. Once you think you have it set up well, enter a class and start racing. I spent the first few years learning to move over but once you begin to get good with a 1/12th, it is very satisfying!! Also, the 1/12th thread is the best place to ask questions. Remember, the only dumb question is one that is not asked.

Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks again for your input. I'm very familiar with The Track. I am confined to a wheelchair and unfortunately, The Track has no handicap access. Otherwise I would be there this weekend soaking up the knowledge and no doubt, spending money.

Oh well..I guess Tower and the likes will continue to take my money! It's a shame, though. I could spit and almost hit The Track.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks again for your input. I'm very familiar with The Track. I am confined to a wheelchair and unfortunately, The Track has no handicap access. Otherwise I would be there this weekend soaking up the knowledge and no doubt, spending money.

Oh well..I guess Tower and the likes will continue to take my money! It's a shame, though. I could spit and almost hit The Track.
Why not talk to the track owner and see if there is a way they can be accommedating??
Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Initiate

I have spoken to Mimi (the owner) in person but I wouldn't expect her to accommodate just one individual. Now if there are others experiencing the same then I might approach her with a different attitude.

Last edited by kk4hg; 03-17-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Crashby
The design has been around for a very long time and that is due to the rule that 1/12th can only use a solid rear axle or live rear axle. The suspension of this live rear axle, with motor attached, has gone through a few variations with link and T-Bar proving to be the best. Even though link cars have been around for some time, with the recent rules change to allow only single cell lipo batteries, link cars now reign supreme. Speed Zone USA has released a single cell saddle pack that is proving to be a very good battery so we should see a slight resurgence of T-Bar cars.

While the car might seem flimsy, it is quite durable and you will be amazed at how much abuse it will take before breaking. Parts are still relative inexpensive compared to some other classes of RC cars. A well set up and good handling 1/12th car will out corner any other form of RC car. The response is quick and requires patience in learning how to drive one fast.

The best thing you can do is go to a local track that races 1/12th and lean. Don't be afraid to ask questions as most 1/12th racers prove to be a friendly bunch. Once you think you have it set up well, enter a class and start racing. I spent the first few years learning to move over but once you begin to get good with a 1/12th, it is very satisfying!! Also, the 1/12th thread is the best place to ask questions. Remember, the only dumb question is one that is not asked.

Enjoy!
Crashby: Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't realize the link design had been around so long and morphed so much. Live and learn.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RC is something that takes people of all differrent sizes and limitations and levels the playing field. I should hope that in the future we see many more tracks with wheelchair acces.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have spoken to Mimi (the owner) in person but I wouldn't expect her to accommodate just one individual. Now if there are others experiencing the same then I might approach her with a different attitude.
Hmmm... Any track that puts in a drivers stand that is not ADA compliant is only looking for problems. While I understand you not wanting to cause trouble, it is your right to expect that businesses provide the appropriate access for all racers.

At one of our tracks the owners built a lower drivers stand that is directly in front of the regular drivers stand that is about three feet tall and has the correct elevation footage to lateral footage formula for our wheel chair racers.

Sounds like this track needs to step up.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Crashby
Hmmm... Any track that puts in a drivers stand that is not ADA compliant is only looking for problems. While I understand you not wanting to cause trouble, it is your right to expect that businesses provide the appropriate access for all racers.

At one of our tracks the owners built a lower drivers stand that is directly in front of the regular drivers stand that is about three feet tall and has the correct elevation footage to lateral footage formula for our wheel chair racers.

Sounds like this track needs to step up.
I cannot even get inside the building! Both metal staircases contain about six steps and then have a 90 degree right turn at the landing. The only way I could potentially enter would be at the loading dock on a truck lift gate. And of course that truck would have to be there when I want to leave.