Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official ROAR Festivus Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
Hey Rich, apparently you and I missed out on the "smoke filled room" days of ROAR - I think someone owes us some cigars!
Ya, they got to drink, too. There used to be some real characters in the "good ol' days". Ron Paris, my RC Gawd Father, was very active in ROAR - that guy was a real knut (in the best of ways).

We are part of the "New Age" - to which, I say, let's make a difference, and get our sport where it needs to be.

Gang, all we can all do is bind together and make it work.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

#1 - Change immediately to 1s lipo power for all on road classes. 17.5 is 17.5 again, 13.5 is 13.5 again, and mod - well, is still mod. Light the candle and hang on.
Great post until I read 1s lipo. 1s lipo is definitley not newbie freindly that's for sure. You have to deal with voltage regulator, voltage booster, charging two batteries and drop in voltage after 3-4min making the car .5 slower at the end of the runs. I could go on and on about 1s.

Why go 1s lipo when we have 21.5 and 25.5 brushless motors to slow things down?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Rich,

If youre talking about online presence you definitely want to take advantage of avenues such as Facebook and Twitter as well as having a proper website once something like this gets off the ground (if it does).
Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zake540
Great post until I read 1s lipo. 1s lipo is definitley not newbie freindly that's for sure. You have to deal with voltage regulator, voltage booster, charging two batteries and drop in voltage after 3-4min making the car .5 slower at the end of the runs. I could go on and on about 1s.

Why go 1s lipo when we have 21.5 and 25.5 brushless motors to slow things down?

Don't forget Shawn the rest of Shawn's post, he is leaving the door open:

Each of these has pros and cons, but they all have been discussed within EXCOM as possible solutions during the last 6 months.

If one of the above three doesn't work for you, then lets hear your solution please and we'll work towards a resolution!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Rich,

If youre talking about online presence you definitely want to take advantage of avenues such as Facebook and Twitter as well as having a proper website once something like this gets off the ground (if it does).
Step one: The Website is being completed. - go to: http://www.roarracing.com/
sub step: General Forum goes live
Step two: The FaceBook page will launch
Step three: Twitter
Step four: RSS feed
Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Start with ROAR addressing these 2 items: racers and equipment.
Never mind the classes, if ROAR addresses these two items then the rest will fall into place. This is a starting point not the end all solution, to have people accept change, start with small simple changes and once they are onboard you will be surprised how fast the hobby will morphed into what we-all want it to be. This also means the Vendors as well.

Everyone want the same thing, the biggest problem/roadblock/people bitching is how we get there...
Old 03-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Its also clear that the ROAR membership wants a voice in rule changes/direction/discussions. I am 100000% onboard with that, and voice it often in ROAR meetings. I pushed hard for the ROAR forum board on the website specifically for that purpose. I also believe ROAR needs a direct contact line to all its affiliate track owners/race directors to get a complete feel for what kind of racing is happening, what's hot and growing, and what's unpopular and dying.

I know a common criticism is we in the EXCOM make sweeping decisions entirely from a vacuum with no other input. That couldn't be farther from the truth, as dozens and perhaps hundreds of industry folks, racers, and track owners are consulted or are directly involved in our decisions. BUT we can, and must do better to get a more complete pulse on an already dynamic industry that's shifting faster than anyone or any organization can truly keep pace with.
Absolutely.

#1 - Change immediately to 1s lipo power for all on road classes. 17.5 is 17.5 again, 13.5 is 13.5 again, and mod - well, is still mod. Light the candle and hang on.
With most of the current TC designs, people will have a hard time making weight and balancing the car with a 1s LiPo. Will we need new TC designs to make this work, or would the minimum weight for TC change again to help this out? Now we will also need Rx packs or Voltage boosters in TC (I know that 1/12 scale already has this issue).

Wouldn't just changing the motor be a lot easier? We don't have the short lived NiMH lifespan to justify scrapping our perfectly good, existing 2s LiPos. If more vendors produced a motor design like the Novak Ballistic, it would be a simple fix to swap out the stator to a higher wind.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Step one: The Website is being completed.
Rich, don't take this personal please... My humble opinion only...

Facebook: No way
Twitter: There's a reason what it begins with twit...
RSS Feed: Good
Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Rich, don't take this personal please... My humble opinion only...

Facebook: No way
Twitter: There's a reason what it begins with twit...
RSS Feed: Good

I understand about reservations with Facebook - but, FaceBook could be a cool way to cover races and it has huge mass appeal. Twitter, I have never understood, but, I'm old anyway.

Nova, not personal, I'm here to help, It's all good my man...as a group we are strong
Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Step one: The Website is being completed. - go to: http://www.roarracing.com/
Nice...I still would love to help with putting together ranking spreadsheets if such a thing were pulled together
Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Nice...I still would love to help with putting together ranking spreadsheets if such a thing were pulled together
Talk about openning up a can of 10 year old beans....

Lets think about this...
Onroad: electric gas
electic: carpet asphalt
Gas: asphalt
electric 10 and 12 scale, 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive stock, SS, mod

And then the tracks themselves....

Do you see where I am going with this..... What kind of criteria would a ranking system use?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Legend

Do you see where I am going with this..... What kind of criteria would a ranking system use?
easy

base ranking points on results at sanctioned Roar events
Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Talk about openning up a can of 10 year old beans....

Lets think about this...
Onroad: electric gas
electic: carpet asphalt
Gas: asphalt
electric 10 and 12 scale, 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive stock, SS, mod

And then the tracks themselves....

Each type of racing would have it's own ranking.

Each type of event (local, sectional, regional and national) would carry a weighting profile.

Only specific types of racing would count (TBD).
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the only thing that made me hesitant on shawn's list is the single cell sedan idea. sedans are always going to weigh more and have more drag than pan cars. by making the fuel tank the same size, the sedans will either, go much slower, or last half the duration.

looking at the tracks that each are most suited for, it would make more sense to me to have more fuel available to the larger car, which is intended to run on larger circuits. we can do whatever we'd like, but i don't think that making sedan slower than pan cars will allow us to do anything remotely close to something like this in the real near future:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

yes, i have a mild obsession with how tc is done overseas, but c'mon. what we do with sedans over here is bush league (no wonder it's dying). we have one or two decent asphalt races (none of which have been the roar nats) and we close up shop for the indoor scene where we explode our cars on 2x4's and kick and scream that it's too fast. tc has gone to rubber here now. yet we're going to continue to use 2x4 tracks and watch them climb walls when we're an inch off our mark? i think we're missing the boat. then again, maybe i'm the only one who even wants to set sail ....

none the less, my proposed solution might be to leave the rip at 7.4 or maybe go to li-fe for tc. we're finally at a time where mod has more power and runtime than you can even put down on the track... and we want to bring it back to making a class where we're cycling batteries for run time, and swapping rotors and timing and all that jazz to squeeze out a 6 minute run w/o dumping or melting?? i dunno. that sounds a lot like spec racing to me, save for the throttle jockeying.

i can be convinced otherwise, but if the argument is that 13.5 is already too fast for our 90x40 tracks, i'm not going to be swayed. are the guys running the ets races having problems blowing out tires and whatnot with 7.4v? i could believe it, but over here it seems like a pretty rosey picture.

someone told me the tc worlds are coming here in 2012. if this is true, are we planning on stretching out the 2x4's again? maybe get a whopping 100ft straight for these guys. that'll be a proud moment.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Each type of racing would have it's own ranking.

Each type of event (local, sectional, regional and national) would carry a weighting profile.

Only specific types of racing would count (TBD).
1. Rich sends me a list of the types of racing that will be ranked
2. work out a basic mathematical equation to calculate points and determine the appropriate weighting profile and calculate that into the formula

It shouldt take calculus to do something like that...a lot of keyboard work Im sure but teh math shouldnt be hard once all that is mapped out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.