R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by munrath View Post
R
If you look at On-Road gas racing we don't have this problem. We have .12 and .21 We don't have an issue with non-sponsored or sponsored racing in either of these classes. Why do we have this issue in Electric On-Road? Not all .12 or .21 motors are created equal, just like not all speedo's are created equal, yet we worry about sponsored and non-sponsored drivers racing together. We don't tell the guy who won his first Nitro sedan nationals that he has to move to .21.

Mark
Gas racing is not electric racing. I see this comparison all the time, and it always bothers me.

Maybe if the only class was modified, it might be comparable. Maybe if we all raced on 200' long tracks with 12 or 15' lanes there would be a fair comparison. I just don't see how a 90 x40 track with 6-8' lanes does not amplify every step up in speed. There's also a lot less room to hide if you're off the pace.

The problem now is that 17.5 should probably be 21.5.

Or we should just have modified, and you pick your own speed.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by munrath View Post
Rich - I hope it's not a firestorm but rather a way to communicate and have people listen. Thanks for the apology and taking the time to listen.

I'm not here to bash, but would like to help as I think many of us racers want to do. On-Road is declining and we all have to pull together to make a positive change.

I would really like for you to look at the entry fee's. Do we really need 3 - 4 officials at the races? Maybe we do at some of the larger events maybe we don't. If we reduced the amount of officials how much could we lower the entry fee?

I know we are trying to attract more racers to the event's and that's a good thing. My question is why mess with the largest class we have (17.5). Why not just introduce sportsman class as a test case to see how things go? The 13.5 and Mod have had the smallest turnouts in the past couple of years. Yet 17.5 is one of the largest and most competitive classes we have to race.

If you look at On-Road gas racing we don't have this problem. We have .12 and .21 We don't have an issue with non-sponsored or sponsored racing in either of these classes. Why do we have this issue in Electric On-Road? Not all .12 or .21 motors are created equal, just like not all speedo's are created equal, yet we worry about sponsored and non-sponsored drivers racing together. We don't tell the guy who won his first Nitro sedan nationals that he has to move to .21.

I'd like to see some of the money from entry fee's or membership fee's go to advertising. How hard would it be for the regional director to make a few phone calls or to send a flyer to the local hobby shops advertising the Nats and or Regionals. You don't have to make a 1,000 copies. A simply flyer that the local hobby shops in or around the area could post on a wall would be better then nothing.

Scheduling races within a week or two year after year would be great. So if 2010 the Carpet Nats is held on March 25, 26, 27 then you should shoot for that same time frame for 2011, so that people can schedule leave around the races and they know from year to year when each of the nationals are going to be and or that matter the regional.

Like you I don't have all of the answers, but I'm sure if we all put some thoughts together we can come up with some ideas and test the water to see if things are moving in the right or wrong direction before making law.

Hope this helps,
Mark

I like the dialog Mark. You are correct, Fuel On-Road has a different approach. You run a .21 - you go as fast as you can. We have motor limits. That's it. Electric might look at how the Fuel crowd has dealt with technology - the Fuel approach - run as much as you can handle. Period.

We are trying to update our look, via the refreshed website. Our goal is to draw racers to the ROAR site to gather topical information. I was difficult to navigate, now it has a fresh look and is easier to navigate. Guess what, I donated the printing of the rule books to save each member $5.00 - I happen to be a printer.

Yes, we need to ADD value for your membership dollar.

So, how does ROAR add value for your racing dollar? We are looking at a National Ranking, We are looking at ways to bring in "new" racers. The SC Truck is a great start. We need more feeder classes. We need to get the Manufactures, Racers, promoters and track operators all to see value in ROAR.

We have much to do. We want to do it. We need the members help. Yes, we all hide to a degree - alot of ROAR bashing goes on - some founded some not. ROAR seems to be a love/hate situation. But, damn-it we do care. I will not make excuses. I will give honest explainations, how's that?
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The problem now is that 17.5 should probably be 21.5..
It should def be 21.5. My fast lap in 17.5 at the birds was 11.7 mod was 11.3 and im pretty sure schreff had a 11.4 in 13.5
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs View Post
I really would like to hear from these guys to see what direction roar is going in and maybe even hear from Dawn
I can tell you what direction we are going. I'm part of each discussion. As I said - ask. Dawn, frankly, has a damn full plate. Hell, she probably got 20 phone calls about my inflammatory comments.

I'm the one who is here by choice. Maybe not the best choice, but I'm willing to try
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Gas racing is not electric racing. I see this comparison all the time, and it always bothers me.

Maybe if the only class was modified, it might be comparable. Maybe if we all raced on 200' long tracks with 12 or 15' lanes there would be a fair comparison. I just don't see how a 90 x40 track with 6-8' lanes does not amplify every step up in speed. There's also a lot less room to hide if you're off the pace.

The problem now is that 17.5 should probably be 21.5.

Or we should just have modified, and you pick your own speed.

The discussion of the motor limits has been tabled. Open, run what you got with whatever controller you choose - and a limited 21.5
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #36
Tech Master

OK what direction are you going with motors for the classes due to the speeds that are being traveled with the new speedos. I posted times up above. The 17.5 is your sportsman class. Have you run a 17.5 lately its not sportsman speed. No class for beginners.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #37
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
The discussion of the motor limits has been tabled. Open, run what you got with whatever controller you choose - and a limited 21.5
Limited 21.5 what do u mean
Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsPics View Post
I agree that official ROAR's answers to member's questions should be posted in a public forum like this one, instead of via email.

Why?

Well the major reason is that it allows everyone else to read the member's question/comment as well as ROAR's answer. Think about it...other people might have the same exact question. If the question/ROAR's answer is posted for public viewing, then there is no need for repetitive emails that ask and answer the same question.

Post the question/comment once on a forum, and answer the question once on a forum.

Sounds like the easier solution to me.

My personal issue with open Forums is that most of the time you have NO idea who you are talking to. This is why, personally, I like the concept of a ROAR site where you use your given name and ROAR number.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Limited 21.5 what do u mean
I should have said 21.5
Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
OK what direction are you going with motors for the classes due to the speeds that are being traveled with the new speedos. I posted times up above. The 17.5 is your sportsman class. Have you run a 17.5 lately its not sportsman speed. No class for beginners.
That is the biggest problem with on road.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
I agree - the advancements are difficult to keep up with. We are trying our best. The technology of batteries/speedo's/motors is explosive. I wish I had a crystal ball
Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #42
Tech Master

So are you saying a limited speedo in 21.5. So what will the motors be in each class stock and super stock
Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #43
Tech Master

Quote:
So are you saying a limited speedo in 21.5. So what will the motors be in each class stock and super stock
Not saying that. Again, we, like you, are trying to figure the best solution.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #44
Tech Master

Gang, I'm going to sign off. I will be back tomorrow 6:00 PM Pacific. Keep the questions coming I'll do my best to answer.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
I agree - the advancements are difficult to keep up with. We are trying our best. The technology of batteries/speedo's/motors is explosive. I wish I had a crystal ball
No crystal ball is needed just solutions when things happen. The speedo changes happened last september at the IIC and nothing has been done to make changes to the classes accordingly. Step up and do something and make it happen. It just seems that roar all they do is drag there feet.