R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #151
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
how many of them actually buy a car when you tell them how much it cost to go that fast?
It's cheaper to go fast in mod than 13.5.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
its not about being a pansy. there is no doubt in my mind that todays 13.5 will be FASTER then last years MOD class at our local track, so whats the point of running MOD, in order not to be pansy, or to just be able to give myself a handjob and say, hey look at mister big time over here, I run MOD with the Big Boys, yea, but your going slower then the little girls 13.5

and using your example, of ALL those guys that come in the store and ask, how fast does it go, how many of them actually buy a car when you tell them how much it cost to go that fast? how many of them come race? all of them i suppose, and thats why mod is the biggest class at all the events all over the world.

sorry couldn't help it.

The only reason 13.5 would be any faster is the fact that it is much harder to drive a 4.0-6.5 on the in field then a 13.5. Most people cant handle it. How many fast guys even drive mod in the NW? A small handful. Club level average drivers almost never can drive any faster then 13.5. They cant handle the power in the corners. Stock you just let off, light break at times. You dont have to drive a stock motor like you do a mod one, and nobody can argue that.

I know mod was 5-6 tenths faster then 13.5 on carpet at Chico when we tested. And im not sure how outdoors will be any better for 13.5.

If we sell anything racing, its off road. Sadly. Small town Grants Pass does not like racing.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Trackdesigner- I personnely have run in races at the biggest car show around florida - It's coming up next weekend. At the Daytona Speedway during the car show. I've done the races ar local car shows. They done them at the St Petersburg Grand Prix.The people attending these events are there for the event ,not R/C racing. Yes you might get some one interested but the problem I've always seen is NO One is at an information booth. They might come to a racer and more than likely he's not from the area. Then they tell them what they have invested. Boy does that scare away a new racer. An information booth with the PA announcer announcing where you can find information about R/C's.That will help but most often forgotten about. Yes We've had manufacturers there,it helps.
For our state races the only one that has a race in front of the business is Superior Hobbies and they are always talking about the hobby shop and information. Most permanent tracks are well hidden from the public. That's a major problem. Clubs and parking lot races have dissappeared and it's to much work to set-up and tear down a track. Been there and done that for many years.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Trackdesigner- I personnely have run in races at the biggest car show around florida - It's coming up next weekend. At the Daytona Speedway during the car show. I've done the races ar local car shows. They done them at the St Petersburg Grand Prix.The people attending these events are there for the event ,not R/C racing. Yes you might get some one interested but the problem I've always seen is NO One is at an information booth. They might come to a racer and more than likely he's not from the area. Then they tell them what they have invested. Boy does that scare away a new racer. An information booth with the PA announcer announcing where you can find information about R/C's.That will help but most often forgotten about. Yes We've had manufacturers there,it helps.
For our state races the only one that has a race in front of the business is Superior Hobbies and they are always talking about the hobby shop and information. Most permanent tracks are well hidden from the public. That's a major problem. Clubs and parking lot races have dissappeared and it's to much work to set-up and tear down a track. Been there and done that for many years.

I bolded the two sentences for different reasons. teh fact that there is no way of telling people about where they can get more information on RCs is a problem. Having an info booth or giving both the track announcers (the one at the track AND the one for the RC exhibition) an announcement about where people can find more information about RCs would be helpful.

The other one I bolded because this again gets back to what I was saying about having a hobby shop (nearest one to the track I would say) or two have temporary shop setups where people could purchase RTRs but also, make sure the racers know where the temporary shops are and to encourage them to remind people about the fact that you can get into RC for a lot less. You want to be truthful but at the same time you want to let people know that there are lower cost options to be had.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #155
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by energydrink View Post
It's cheaper to go fast in mod than 13.5.
not when you add in maintance
Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #156
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
The only reason 13.5 would be any faster is the fact that it is much harder to drive a 4.0-6.5 on the in field then a 13.5. Most people cant handle it. How many fast guys even drive mod in the NW? A small handful. Club level average drivers almost never can drive any faster then 13.5. They cant handle the power in the corners. Stock you just let off, light break at times. You dont have to drive a stock motor like you do a mod one, and nobody can argue that.

I know mod was 5-6 tenths faster then 13.5 on carpet at Chico when we tested. And im not sure how outdoors will be any better for 13.5.

If we sell anything racing, its off road. Sadly. Small town Grants Pass does not like racing.

It all depends on the track and traction, look at the results from the reedy race last year, i'm pretty sure we can safely say the 13.5/17.5 is gonna be faster this year then last. and last year i think EJ would have qualified for the invite in mod

Don't get me wrong I know what your saying, in fact I run Mod now, but i also don't have a ego that won't let me strap in a "stock" motor and run with the pansies. or as like to call them, my fellow racers.

and don't tell anyone, but this year I'm gonna try and start a outlaw FOAM class on pavement. it is faster.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #157
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

i love racing my toy car regardless of the motor or esc or traction or anything else. let me know what the rest of you decide to race.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #158
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Our local off-road guy has a local series race this weekened which is expecting to be full at 200 or so entries. Great right? Not really, because there are 13 classes. You might get a C main in one of them if you are lucky.

So true Rick....whatever happened to the days of just Stock and Modified, and everyone (sponsored or no sponsored) drivers could run both classes....to many everyone is a winner classes...
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #159
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

11 pages with nearly 160 responses and nobody (that I noticed) has mentioned the issue of $500 chassis' that you "can't" run in the parking lot or street in front of your house. I mean... it is a luxury TC after all. How appealing is that "bang for the buck" to a new guy? And really the big factor in onroad decline is the lack of backfill... because racer turnover happens in all genres. Onroad just can't backfill because the bang for the buck is gone.

On another hand however, racer attrition never seems to slow the bashing of roar.

Last edited by JKA; 03-18-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: histrionics revision
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #160
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My suggestions to Roar.

1. Entry fee's -- lower the entry and give a discount for 2nd class. Get sponsorships from company's to help lower these. like the "john boy and billy" Roar Nationals.But this could be Associated or Lrp or Jaco or who ever.
2. Classes--I feel like we need to go back in time some get rid of the middle of the road class so everyone can make the A-main. So i would run open mod and 21.5 for stock. You could also run all masters and Juinors in the same class and award a overall master and juinor to highest finishing person. Also if you wanted you could have a true beginner class also.
3. Promotion-- Get the word out about the races. Make it feel like this is the place to be. That are National champ is what we all want to try and acheive make if feel like it is great experience.
4.Talk to other race promoters. Maybe you could convince Boylan or Scotty to Hold the Roar nationals in Vegas or Florida. Maybe we could get some excitement if we could get all 3 or 4 races in a series like the old Triple crown and then we could crown a True National champion.
5.Did i mention excitement. That is truly what we need. We need some build up and that i can not wait to get there excitement.

I also want to state that i am firmly behind Roar in what ever they chose to do because with out them we are going to die quickly. We need them and they are listening. Now let's push them in a direction that we can get onroad back to where it needs to be.

Mike Blackstock
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For TC what about lowering the amount of available power? Drop the minimum weight rule, but also limit the battery to 2400mah, so that power management becomes a factor again in racing and make the mains 8 minutes long. I think if this was done the SC of the week deal wouldn't mean as much. As soon as we all complained that "if only we had more, faster, run time" and took some of that part of the race stratgy out of the racing things have gone downhill. No fault of ROAR, just too many wanna go fast guys out there.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #162
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey Jeff when is the last time you paid hobbyshop price for a brushless motor? at $80 to $90 a pop to a 16yo every 6 month is a little much to ask. yes speeds are too fast but there are other ways to slow things down. as a track owner myself I have my VTA class run no timing on the speedos and a gear ratio spec. did the spec gear with my Losi slider class on my dirt oval after people started going through motors once a week. it does work. you just have to do a little work and watch the races. you can tell who might be bending the rules. if you don't just tell the racers to tell you if they think someone is cheating and tech them, you don' thave to do it all the time. we use to run gentlemens mod 19t back before there was a 19t class national for TC using norrca 19t oval motors. classes can't always just be a motor rule sometimes you have to spec other items to control the class. just because roar said this is the national rules doesn't mean you can't change the rules for your track... it is your track Jeff, if roar isnt' moving fast enough for you don't blame them that you didn't fix the rules at your track. house rules usually fit the track better then anything that a national sactioning body can impose.

and to the person that says Mod is cheaper then stock on a club level for the average race is down right stupid. just the normal wear and tear not counting breakage of a mod class is higher then stock. even as fast as stock is. each pull of the trigger to the average driver with a 10.5 or fast motor is tearing down the belt the steering block the c-hubs they all wear out fast at higher speeds and tourqe levels of mod motors. let alone diffrings and diffballs being worn out quicker. don't even get me started on tire wear. I have won 17.5 club races at my track with a set of 60mm foam tires. but I couldn't do that in mod.

as for not having rules if roar did go away what's the RC pro series? oh wait it's a sactioning body that set rules for classes. you can't say it can't be done it has. I believe he even set up TC rules for onroad pro series events.

I had more but RC tech ate it. I'll remember it tomorrow this is food enough for thought.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #163
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
It all depends on the track and traction, look at the results from the reedy race last year, i'm pretty sure we can safely say the 13.5/17.5 is gonna be faster this year then last. and last year i think EJ would have qualified for the invite in mod

Don't get me wrong I know what your saying, in fact I run Mod now, but i also don't have a ego that won't let me strap in a "stock" motor and run with the pansies. or as like to call them, my fellow racers.

and don't tell anyone, but this year I'm gonna try and start a outlaw FOAM class on pavement. it is faster.

I have stock motors, so you can't say I have a ego. I have a sarcastic way. Anybody that knows me knows it's innocent stupidness. I could care less about all of this, it's just the Internet. I hate when people when people whine about dumb things. I like modified. But I don't think I'm exactly Mr. Cherry about it all. Roar needs to do something. And that's for sure.