R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Lipo C rating for brushless

It is my understanding that the C rating represents current. It is also my understanding that if a motor draws more current than the battery can deliver, bad things will happen.

I have a Warp 5700 brushless in my HPI Sprint 2 Flux and I'm installing a Mamba Max Pro 4600 brushless in my RC10T4. I've never run Lipo before. My questions is:

Will 20C feed these motors just fine, or do I need to move up?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Dorion
Dorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Follow Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorion View Post
It is my understanding that the C rating represents current. It is also my understanding that if a motor draws more current than the battery can deliver, bad things will happen.

I have a Warp 5700 brushless in my HPI Sprint 2 Flux and I'm installing a Mamba Max Pro 4600 brushless in my RC10T4. I've never run Lipo before. My questions is:

Will 20C feed these motors just fine, or do I need to move up?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Dorion
Hello,

You didn't mention what the capacity of the your 20c battery actually was. This had a direct impact on calculating the actual amps the battery can handle.

Typically you take capacity x c rating = Total Amps the battery can safely handle... For Example: 3800 Mah battery x 20c = 76,000 Mah or if you divide by 1000 you end up with 76 Amps (76,000/1000 - 76)

The 4600KV & 5700KV motors have the ability to pull some good amps under heavy load. The 20C battery may be able to handle this load, but I would say you may be at the edge of being on the safe side. If you continue using the 20c battery make certain that the battery is not getting very warm and keep close eye on the battery to make sure it is not puffing up.

I would suggest that you move up to a battery something more like a 30 - 40 C rated battery, especially if you are going to race.

I personally have ran 15 - 20c packs and then moved up to 40 & 50c pack and have witnessed remarkable increase in power and that was on just a 3300KV motor in race conditions.

I would suggest something like a 5000 Mah 40C pack would be a great direction to go. I am partial to Team Epic batteries where they have some great sport packs up to crazy fast race packs. But many of the other companies have good stuff as well.

Don't forget to make sure you are using high quality connectors as well such as bullet connectors or deans as you would melt down a standard battery connector if you start pulling over 30 - 40 amps pretty quick.

Hope this helps.
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Tech Adept

JFuel11,

Thanks for the great advice. I haven't bought a battery yet, so I'll definately follow your instructions. I guess I should find out how many amps those motors pull under pressure.

My Hpi has a deans connector, however, my T4 has a tamiya connector.

Thanks agian for your help!

Dorion
Dorion is offline   Reply With Quote