R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default I'm that guy. Same old 1/12 questions.

Sorry I know the answers to all my questions are in the 25,167 posts below so I will accept say 3 flames.

I just got a 12RC5.1 and moved my Tekin RS Pro over and would like to find out if there is anything I need to add because of running only one cell Lipo. I have seen and heard about power boosters but not sure I understand what they are or what there for.

The car came with a KO Propo PDS-951 stearing servo. Is this a 6v servo? I run a Futaba 4PK and know i have to turn a feature off if it's not able to handle the 6v.
MCSEDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post
Sorry I know the answers to all my questions are in the 25,167 posts below so I will accept say 3 flames.

I just got a 12RC5.1 and moved my Tekin RS Pro over and would like to find out if there is anything I need to add because of running only one cell Lipo. I have seen and heard about power boosters but not sure I understand what they are or what there for.

The car came with a KO Propo PDS-951 stearing servo. Is this a 6v servo? I run a Futaba 4PK and know i have to turn a feature off if it's not able to handle the 6v.
You will need to run a reciever pack because 1 cell doen't have enough voltage for the steering servo. I would get the Losy 180mah 7.2v 2 cell receiver pack.

KO servo's are good for at least 7.2v. That is what I use also...

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Damnit Man

I'd recommend the team Epic 220Mah Life. That way it is closer to the 6V you need for the servo and has more capacity.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

straight from the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Yes putting a reciver battery in line with the switch looks pretty good. A little dangerous to let people start doing mods like this, but it is pretty straight forward and should be more robust than a booster or regulator.

You really only need to use another 1S lipo in the switch line. Now we are getting down to little micro helicopter batteries.

With this modification the voltage cutoff WILL NOT WORK.

Good options for 1S setups with the RS.

LiFe 6.6v receiver pack

4 cell, 5 cell or 6 cell Nimh or NiCd

1s or 2s lipo in line with the switch.

2s lipo with a 6v regulator

Booster connected to the main 1S lipo

Using a Diode to drop the voltage of a 2S is not bad, but a little more complicated to wire if you want full voltage to the servo.

Tekin Prez

actually ko is good on 2s so all the way up to 8.4v I think Robert at one point told me 9v, but don't quote me

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Unless your going to run mod you can run a TQ booster(not a novak booster) even with the latest v203 with no problems. To run a booster or receiver pack is mostly a personal thing as thay both do the same function, I dont want another batt to charge between runs so I use the booster with my 13.5 1c setup.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Unless your going to run mod you can run a TQ booster(not a novak booster) even with the latest v203 with no problems. To run a booster or receiver pack is mostly a personal thing as thay both do the same function, I dont want another batt to charge between runs so I use the booster with my 13.5 1c setup.
How are you wiring your booster in with the Tekin as I need to do mine?

Thanks
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fry View Post
How are you wiring your booster in with the Tekin as I need to do mine?

Thanks
There's only one connection that's required to power the booster - it's a red wire that needs to be soldered to the (+) post of the ESC. Plug the 3 wire connector into the battery port of the receiver, and you're done.

Pretty simple, huh???
Old 03-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
There's only one connection that's required to power the booster - it's a red wire that needs to be soldered to the (+) post of the ESC. Plug the 3 wire connector into the battery port of the receiver, and you're done.

Pretty simple, huh???
Thats how I had have it on my LRP but I heard something about putting it inline with the switch so it sees a higher voltage???
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post

Pretty simple, huh???
Note - When you wire the booster that way, you do not use the ESC on/off switch. Instead, use the booster switch.
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunnmcp View Post
You will need to run a reciever pack because 1 cell doen't have enough voltage for the steering servo. I would get the Losy 180mah 7.2v 2 cell receiver pack.

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis
However Tekin said not to use 2cell LiPo reciever packs with the RS without a regulator as the higher voltage can damage the RS. So make sure to use a regulator. Or if you have a charger capable of charging LiFE cells then get the 6v 2 cell LiFE reciever pack so you don't have to worry about it.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...packs-bad.html
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-Spike View Post
Note - When you wire the booster that way, you do not use the ESC on/off switch. Instead, use the booster switch.
With the RS you turn on both the booster and the RS. If you do not then the LiPo cut off is disabled.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default 6.6v Life Rx Pack is the way to go for 1/12th

Just run a Life 6.6v receiver pack and call it a day. I just got one of these http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ack-66V-200mAh and ran it the other day. It was great! Charges alot quicker than the 7.4v Lipo receiver packs and you don't have to mess with the mess of a Novak booster. Tekin does not recommend using 7.4v lipos and and people have said that they have had problems using Tekins with boosters.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunnmcp View Post

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis

No, Tekin does not recommend using a 2 cell lipo receiver pack. Use the 6.6v Life instead.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post

HeyMCSEDanny! Here is the yokomo brace and spring retainer that we were talking about. Don't bother with the yokomo motor mount
Attached Thumbnails
I'm that guy.  Same old 1/12 questions.-dscn0633.jpg   I'm that guy.  Same old 1/12 questions.-dscn0714.jpg   I'm that guy.  Same old 1/12 questions.-dscn0739.jpg   I'm that guy.  Same old 1/12 questions.-dscn0741.jpg  
hotdognobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
With the RS you turn on both the booster and the RS. If you do not then the LiPo cut off is disabled.
+1 - I use both switches... It saved my battery once. You can run the car w/o enabling the LiPo cutoff, but I prefer not to take any chances.