R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Ulitimate Hobbies (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/379410-ulitimate-hobbies.html)

kingsfanrob 03-15-2010 06:25 AM

Mike at Ultimate is about the only guy that will be helpful. He's the guy with his arm sleeved and a goatee. The wait is too long for me not to complain. Speed Tech or HKS do it for me. HKS is right up the street from Jeff on Mission and is owned by a guy named Alan. HKS is open from 3pm-9pm so it makes it easier for me to get there after work. He also uses the can't open protocol, so you're out of luck on the hands on comparisson. Just my 2 pennies.

Old Tech 03-15-2010 07:27 AM

Didn't I tell you to go to Speedtech, Tim?!?;)

mlight13 03-15-2010 07:47 AM

I may be the only one with a good online/phone experience with Ultimate. I placed my order, and I realized the next day that I wanted to change one thing. I called them in the morning, someone picked up right away, transferred me to the shipping department. I talked the the shipper and he said my order was packed and ready for shipment, but he could reopen it and change whatever I wanted. I told him and he worked out the paperwork and payment and shipped my order an hour later. It arrived the next day and all was well. I guess it is just the luck of the draw I guess. Good luck with wherever you take your business.

timmig 03-15-2010 08:13 AM

Naw Mark----what your describing is "mail orders" and good service. Apparently that's how they want to run their store!! That's okay---but I can order off the internet from any of dozen's of stores--- I want experienced help when I walk into the store LIKE I got at Speedtech with Jeff!! Jeff--was very helpful with what I needed for my Cyclone--and my mini--AND---had MOST of the items in STOCK!!! Thank you Jeff---next I'll check out HKS when I"m in the area---but these guys at least TRY to help you---Ultimate--which should have the resources to do the same---treats you worse than Walmart!!!:rolleyes::D
I'll prefer the smaller helpful customer oriented stores thank you!!:nod::D
T

mlight13 03-15-2010 08:23 AM

Well that sucks then, I have never been there and probably will never go there if in-store service is that bad. The only reason I ordered online from there is because at the time, the Cyclone S kit w/Mazda body was only $119.95. I snatched it up since the next cheapest I could find online with over 20+ stores was $159.99. Unless I can find a killer deal there again, I may go elsewhere.

timmig 03-15-2010 08:40 AM

Yeah--that's another thing too---the FIRST Cyclone S I bought there--$119--this last one was $129--which matched the cost from some other sources but NOT the same price they gave me the first time 3 weeks ago!! Now that they are popular again with the Truespec series --- they've raised the price!!
T

Hebiki 03-15-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mlight13 (Post 7138696)
Well that sucks then, I have never been there and probably will never go there if in-store service is that bad. The only reason I ordered online from there is because at the time, the Cyclone S kit w/Mazda body was only $119.95. I snatched it up since the next cheapest I could find online with over 20+ stores was $159.99. Unless I can find a killer deal there again, I may go elsewhere.

id rather pay more knowing that i get good customer service from Speedtech than save a few bucks and waste my time. :nod: :nod:

timmig 03-15-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hebiki (Post 7139006)
id rather pay more knowing that i get good customer service from Speedtech than save a few bucks and waste my time. :nod: :nod:

EXACTLY----plus IF you can get good reccomendations--it will SAVE you money in the long run!! The Ultimate guys comment was--"well buy it and tell US how it worked"!!! yeah --right!!!:deathstar

JustMe2 03-15-2010 12:33 PM

Wow, glad I read this before heading down there. I was going to buy two new Tamiya m05 minis from Ultimate because they are advertised at $104.99. I'll give Speedtech a try even though they are higher.
Thanks.

timmig 03-15-2010 01:34 PM

Jeff at Speedtech will be VERY helpful with your mini's!!! He races them himself-- and can order any parts you will need. We pretty much bought him out of everything but the kits last Sunday at the races!!! You'll like him--- tell him Tim Sent you!!!!:D:D

YR4Dude 03-16-2010 12:16 PM

Ultimate Hobbies' reputation for poor customer service has been around for along time.:nod: It is because of this that there has been a segment opened for other retailers to make money, such as SpeedtechRC. As for nitro, they're just as bad in that department as well. If you ever are in need of nitro goodies, go to Kamikaze.
In the past, Ultimate used to be the only place to go to for all the hot RC items at very low prices. That time has been gone a long time ago. If I were you, I would have left everything behind and shopped elsewhere.

downtempo 03-16-2010 07:08 PM

I was buying my foams there for my f1 for quite awhile... until I walked in to stock up for some last minute parts to race at TCS regionals the following weekend.

They had marked up their foams $15 from what I had been paying for almost a year. Price gouging or coincidence?!? :rolleyes:

fx35rc 03-17-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by timmig (Post 7139861)
Jeff at Speedtech will be VERY helpful with your mini's!!! He races them himself-- and can order any parts you will need. We pretty much bought him out of everything but the kits last Sunday at the races!!! You'll like him--- tell him Tim Sent you!!!!:D:D

That's right...go to speedtech. Jeff has been very helpful and give a lot of good insight. I love buying hop ups...and there times that Jeff tells me that I don't need them...LOL. I've been to ultimate hobbies and experienced waiting for a long time to get help. I understand the wait since there were many people...but their lack of knowledge are dissapointing. One time I asked for a tire sauce and the sales guy doesn't know what I'm talking about. Then I told him its provide better traction. He said there are no such thing. I had to find it myself and it was sitting on the shelf near him.

Go to Speedtech!!!