R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Victor Charger Owners -- BEWARE

I feel obligated to warn all Victor charger owners about dealing with John Caval in Australia. He has a Victor repair/upgrade service.

I have had recent business dealings with him, and am completely dissatisfied.

Here is a breakdown:
  • Mr. Caval sold me inappropriate parts to fix my charger problem
  • the FETs that Mr. Caval sold to me were purposefully altered to obscure their markings
  • when informed that his fix did not work, Mr. Caval adopted a "self pity" attitude
  • Mr. Caval did not offer to assist me further in order to resolve my charger problem
  • a knowledgible source for Victor repairs has nothing but bad things to say about him with repect to his lack of knowledge about Victor repairs
  • people have had their equipment repaired by Mr. Caval, only to have to sent it out to other people for fixing because of Mr. Caval's 'butcher job'... chip replacements done by Mr. Caval resulted in cut/burned circuit traces on the main circuit board
  • people trying to discuss Victor repairs with Mr. Caval (via e-mail) were after a short time not responded to, even after repeated attempts

I take no pleasure in taking this kind of action, but I feel obligated to warn people given the circumstances.
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just out of curiosity, do you know anyone else who does repairs to these chargers and has good backing for his/her work?
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:05 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Yes, there is at least ONE respectible, truly knowledgeable person for doing Victor repairs (and it is not Mr. Caval).

He was out of the game (and out of contact) for a while (which is the only reason I dealt with Mr. Caval), but he may be returning to the business. Not sure if or when. I don't feel it would be right to give out his contact information just yet, until he makes his own decision whether or not he wants to get back into business.

This person does quality work, cleans your charger, his repairs do not cause any damage to your equipment (unlike Mr. Caval), and he will ensure the charger works properly (by running it through tests for a few days) before sending back to you. He will also inform you if there are any other problems with other areas (that you did not initially inform him of), and give you the option of having those things repaired to.

Myself and others have had numerous dealings with this person, and he is very knowledgeable and does quality work. He was in retirement, but given the experiences we have had with 'other' repair places, he is considering getting back into it.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Your not talking about Sam Capris are you? I know he does good work but He said he wasn't going to do repairs anymore. Or are you referring to someone else? Do you know if anyone has sent their units to www.hiiqco.com , They say they can do repairs to chargers and speedos, just wondering if anyone has sent them a Victor with good results. If you were unaware of this site, click on services.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:14 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Exclamation Victor Charger Owners BEWARE

As expected, Mr. Caval has responded back to me. I would like to say that he has apologized for the bad service and offered to assist me to repair my still-broken charger, but such is not the case.

Instead of addressing (or disputing) any of the things that I described about his bad business practices, he chose instead to make a personal character attack:

[From Mr. John Caval]:
"Why didn't you go in the first place to your "knowledgable" person? Maybe he's dealt with you before and your the reason he stopped."

Nice, isn't that? Is this the sort of business person you want to deal with if things go wrong with their service?

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a very reasonable person to deal with. I conducted all of my dealings with Mr. Caval in a very friendly, businesslike manner.

The ONLY reason I dealt with Mr. Caval and not the 'other person' is that the other person had retired, and was out of the business for a long time. With an ill charger and nowhere else to turn, I dealt with Mr. Caval who seemed to be the only other source of Victor repairs available at the time. I am now regretting my decision immensely. Since that time, I have been in contact with the other person, and he is considering getting back into the business.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Default Victor Charger Owners BEWARE

Hi WailinOnYa,

You have a PM...
Old 04-12-2004, 02:51 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

click on red text.

site up and running again Sam's Workbench

I to have used J Caval's services to fit a blue lcd screen to my Victor Super IQ. The guy was really helpful via email when asking questions and sending him pics for him to check over my installation of the lcd before pwerinf it up
radio_car_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:25 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Default Victor Charger Owners BEWARE

I am glad that you have had good experiences with Mr. Caval when installing your new backlit display.

When I read your post, I am shocked that it was the same person that you and I have dealt with.

When I e-mailed Mr. Caval after his 'solution' did not work (replacing all FETs in the charger), I gave him detailed descriptions of what the charger was doing (as I had done in the beginning with him). I too sent him pictures of the internals of my charger, to ensure that I would be replacing the proper components.

I was very friendly in all my letters to Mr. Caval, and so was he... Until I told him that his repairs did not work. Then he turned into a different person. He was not at all helpful, and would not offer me any advise on how to resolve the situation. I e-mailed him several times, and he would not respond with answers that would help me. After I sent him my letter, he started making personal character attacks.

Perhaps it is the case where he knows how to do simple part replacements (like guiding someone through installing a backlit display), but actual repair work is beyond his ability. Such is the situation with me, and others. There have been cases where Mr. Caval has 'repaired' things for people, and damaged the equipment in the process. There have also been cases where he has installed upgrade components that also ended up badly and had to be repaired.

If Mr. Caval does not have the knowledge to do repair work, he should tell that to people right up front and not mislead them by pretending to know what he is talking about.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:10 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Default John Caval

I have had two totally trashed victors repaired by Mr. Caval. I am here to say that they work flawlessly. I have used them for 2 years and have had no problems. I use them for everything from oval racing to charging my savage batteries and also home use batteries. The blue back lit display is perfect and all of my batteries are happy and working great. I also own a GFX and I believe the victor charges better. He was a great help to me in sending the chargers over seas since I had never done that. He always e-mailed me back promptly and answered all my questions. If you need more proof, I race at Trackside and the Triclone in Wisconsin, get in touch with anyone you know that races with me and I will be glad to show them off.
p.s. the rubbed off markings on your chips are normal, they all came that way from the factory. John may have given you a good chip from a junk victror since not all the chips are available anymore.

thanks
moosefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Smile

I have also had dealings with John and have had no reason for complaint. I have however some experience in both electronics and user support and, believe me, it is sometimes very, very difficult to diagnose a problem from a user description. Frequently a symptom which seems irrelevant to the user, or one that has been unnoticed, can totally change a diagnosis.
John is providing a service where otherwise none exists.
As far as obscuring the identification of the fets, this is something done by Victor Engineering (and many other manufacturers eg robitronic) to protect their designs.
So letís not be too harsh.
I note Glen, from your post at HobbyTalk, that John has now refunded your money.
Peter
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:52 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Default Service from John

I had 2 outdated Super IQ chargers and John was able to help me bring them up to date. I had the normal one day delay in e-mail returns and fast awnsers to any questions.
I would recomend him to anyone in need of his services.

I am greatful he does this service to help keep the cost of "keeping up" with technology down..
bigjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote