Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If they do any sunday races i will be there for sure but mostly going to be at the Mushroom Bowl mainly. and maybe Horsham once for there sunday race.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Frank Calandra said essentially the same thing to me when I was at the IIC...the in-line off-set battery is just taking the weight and rotating it 90 degrees so it really isn't changing anything. Which is why they went the shorty pack in-line route instead. The one advantage I do see from the in-line off-set design is it makes wiring easier and cleaner.
Exactly the changes in wiring and how it correlates are very exciting to me. Can't wait to wire one up and see what I can do with it. But what it's really doing is very likely leading us somewhere we haven't been yet. Different pack shape... Hmmm, now what can we do? Etc. I can tell ya this, if you handed Hudy a pack that was absolutely half the size of what we are now using, his head would explode with enthusiasm. Completely new design ideas are possible. Stuff that wouldn't work before can now be re-visited. It's exciting!

We have to make changes even small ones, to eventually get to a BIG one. You just see things differently in the design process when components change. "well, hold up now, if this is 5mm shorter, look at what we can do here instead".

imagine how dull it would be if we still had the same exact car for the last 25 years. Would anybody even care? Prolly not. Change and interest are good for the hobby. And we get stuck with the old outdated stuff, yet I still love the new stuff.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Tech Champion

These last few years have been really exciting for me in 1/12th...with the change to BL, then to LiPo things really started to get rolling. Now that those have been around long enough people are starting to look at different ways to do things. I'm really looking forward to running the battery forward concept that Jason is trying out. It works incredibly well in the WGT car and while wiring can be a bit tight that is only because the shortest possible wire configurations are possible with the battery in front of the ESC. On my CH10 the most obtrusive wires are the servo leads from the ESC, servo, transponder, and booster...and that is only because I never shortened them to a custom length. Once I do that and can do the same in my 1/12th those will be some of the cleanest wiring to go on the clean wiring thread
Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am all for change and trying new things. I have been doing so for a while. Marketing strategies get frustrating but then again, some have a different approach. I try to concentrate on saying what is new on my car. Some like to point out if anyone else has ever done it. Inline battery has been done and has been being made for years. Stumbling on a slightly shorter battery isnt ground breaking to me, just maybe allows for a slightly more neatly placed electronics. I guess i am one who is always looking for big developments. I like seeing myself and other companies release cool big developments but as Bob points out, little can lead to big. In the case of the slightly shorter battery, im not confident that it will catch on, but who knows. All i know is i am pushing for bigger developments as the electronics are much different now so lets see what us manufacturers can do to optimize it.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

If the shorty packs do catch on, I say take one of those packs and run them the normal way but forward like your high traction conversion your working on but make the chassis super narrow. just a thought!
but the thing i dont like is the capacity of the shorty packs are not really something to rave about. maybe when they become higher mah and higher c rating then i might get interested.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
I am all for change and trying new things. I have been doing so for a while. Marketing strategies get frustrating but then again, some have a different approach. I try to concentrate on saying what is new on my car. Some like to point out if anyone else has ever done it. Inline battery has been done and has been being made for years. Stumbling on a slightly shorter battery isnt ground breaking to me, just maybe allows for a slightly more neatly placed electronics. I guess i am one who is always looking for big developments. I like seeing myself and other companies release cool big developments but as Bob points out, little can lead to big. In the case of the slightly shorter battery, im not confident that it will catch on, but who knows. All i know is i am pushing for bigger developments as the electronics are much different now so lets see what us manufacturers can do to optimize it.
How do you tweak your car? Are their spacers in the linkage?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The current model doesnt need to be tweaked. The spacers that the flex plates mount to are machined to be identicle and the flex plates are exactly the same thickness. All that needs to be done is balance the car good and you never need to worry about tweak. The new prototype has tweak screws in the flex plates as some people really wanted to have them reguardless.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by protc3
The current model doesnt need to be tweaked. The spacers that the flex plates mount to are machined to be identicle and the flex plates are exactly the same thickness. All that needs to be done is balance the car good and you never need to worry about tweak. The new prototype has tweak screws in the flex plates as some people really wanted to have them reguardless.
Just curious Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

You'll find these days most if not all manufacturers place more emphasis on balancing the chassis rather than tweaking it. Most setups only link cars are to tighten the side spring screws until both springs just touch the lower plate and then balance the car from there. With the CH12 you don't even need to do that much...just build the car, balance it, and race!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

You'll find these days most if not all manufacturers place more emphasis on balancing the chassis rather than tweaking it. Most setups only link cars are to tighten the side spring screws until both springs just touch the lower plate and then balance the car from there. With the CH12 you don't even need to do that much...just build the car, balance it, and race!
I can appreciate the balancing suggestion, I just know that some time we use tires that are slightly different size and tweak usually made up for the difference. Sounds like he is putting the tweak screw in the proto for those customers of his that requested it

Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

I keep my tires pretty much trued all the time so don't have any issues with different sized tires. My main problem with tweak has been getting the car balanced right...the IRS buttons have too much of a dead spot on them to get a good balance and my would never quite track straight. Switched to the Hudy pins and now it tracks really good. I think the IRS ones would work really good if we glue a ball bearing in the pin hole to get rid of the flat spot...been meaning to try that but haven't had a chance yet.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

I keep my tires pretty much trued all the time so don't have any issues with different sized tires. My main problem with tweak has been getting the car balanced right...the IRS buttons have too much of a dead spot on them to get a good balance and my would never quite track straight. Switched to the Hudy pins and now it tracks really good. I think the IRS ones would work really good if we glue a ball bearing in the pin hole to get rid of the flat spot...been meaning to try that but haven't had a chance yet.
IRS button ?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

http://teamirsrc.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=202
Old 11-05-2011, 07:02 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you want more sensitivity with the irs button, you can push the pin out a little so it is slightly proud of the hemispherical shape.

Last edited by avs; 11-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

It's been a LONG time, but brought out the CH12 today (with last carpet season's setup) and the car was very zippy. Broke a 1.2mm c/f side link (almost finished my day), but fellow racer Jeff Jenkins came through with some 1.2 fiberglass ones. Softened the car up a tad more....made a few front-end changes along with a new saucing technique & gearing/timing adjustment and !VOILA!, total 'dial-ness'. Qualified 3rd but finished in 1st. The car just railed the corners and rotated superbly. I like a 'nosey' car but the rear wasn't too stuck to where it fought against the frontend. Nice balance. I love this car.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.