Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Last edited by Josh Keller; 12-11-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I have heard that there are some people who are wondering how consistent the dampening is in our new front end compared to the sliding kingpin and i wanted to supply you all with that information. The damper tube we use for the front end is actually more consistent than the ones that are used on the rear of all the cars on the market. It is actually a friction damper that uses both oil and friction with the use of an O ring on the piston. This ensures that oil does not leak out and that there is always consistent dampening effect at all times. Sliding king pin work with a very small contact area and are completely open. The oil doesnt last more than a few runs before you need to re apply. The build on our single tube will outlast a sliding kingpin by a large margin. The spring rate is very similar to the coil spring but last much longer. I hope this answers any questions or concerns that some of you may have. If you would like any further information, please feel free to ask.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Jason,

Still waiting on some feedback from my PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by protc3
It is actually a friction damper that uses both oil and friction with the use of an O ring on the piston. This ensures that oil does not leak out and that there is always consistent dampening effect at all times.
TRUE!

Once you have found a good set-up. Just drop in the fluid and leave it alone! And even if you are running the car mostly on one track for training and races you have one part less to worry about between heats because it works, works and keeps on working...
Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 PM
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I’m just doing Xmas shopping list. What’s the part number for new bumper for CH12 and does “CH1070 Front Standoff set” comes with longer screws?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

The bumper I don't know the number of, maybe Jason can put some light on that.

The standoff kit doesn't come with longer screws. It works different than the original part. First you screw a set screw into the pivot balls, on that you screw the standoff which is threaded inside (it now has a hexagonal top so you can use a wrench) and then you place the upper arm brace and mount it with two short screws. All the hardware you need is supplied with it.

Just take off the old and mount the new and you are ready to go!!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
It is actually a friction damper that uses both oil and friction with the use of an O ring on the piston. This ensures that oil does not leak out and that there is always consistent dampening effect at all times.
Would this also be a brilliant idea for the side dampers on the car? Is my thinking wrong on this?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, that old kingpin setup is a joke. I don't miss having that goobbery system. Why not just run a delta front end you old-timers. I mean, an upside down strut with open bath dampening? Sounds like something a mechanical engineering flunky would design. Anyone clinging to that design is simply stuck in the olden days and their old-timey ways.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

forgive me for my ignorance but, does anyone have the part number for the new bumper and the rear center pivot housing?

thanks
anthony
Old 12-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pmes
Yeah, that old kingpin setup is a joke. I don't miss having that goobbery system. Why not just run a delta front end you old-timers. I mean, an upside down strut with open bath dampening? Sounds like something a mechanical engineering flunky would design. Anyone clinging to that design is simply stuck in the olden days and their old-timey ways.
Bold statement considering the king pin set up still wins all the big races
Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

For now Yokomo's been capturing alot of those now with their new independant front suspension.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lorider75
forgive me for my ignorance but, does anyone have the part number for the new bumper and the rear center pivot housing?

thanks
anthony
Anthony, not sure on the bumper, the bumper from my 12rr fit just fine. According to the manual the center pivot housing is DB3020. HOWEVER, the DB3020's that I had as spares don't fit. There must have been a revision, or maybe it now has a new number??
I do need to order some...how do I make sure which ones I am getting?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phattyphatty4x2
Anthony, not sure on the bumper, the bumper from my 12rr fit just fine. According to the manual the center pivot housing is DB3020. HOWEVER, the DB3020's that I had as spares don't fit. There must have been a revision, or maybe it now has a new number??
I do need to order some...how do I make sure which ones I am getting?
My spare centre pivot got "DBB3020" on packet.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Bold statement considering the king pin set up still wins all the big races
The kingpin setup is all that is running at the big races at the moment. For this reason, it will win the big races. Now if the same typical fast guys ran a double wishbone front suspension, the sliding kingpin would fade away fast and those same people would find themselves being able to tune there cars to go even faster than they were before. There is no form of racing in the real world that uses the strut front ends. When they did, it worked great. It took new technology to make the strut style suspensions obsolete in racing.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by H I
My spare centre pivot got "DBB3020" on packet.
The older center pivot was replaced by the new one. We no longer offer the old one so you will be certain to get the latest pivot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.