Search
Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whynot
Just finished car,body, have it all set up the best I can haha just a plain white body for now. here are some pics from my phone hopefully they aren't to bad

I really need to learn how to do nice bodies Cutouts and paint lol
Very nice bro. Let me know if you need any help getting it set up.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Regional Moderator

I really need to learn how to do nice bodies Cutouts and paint lol
Mike -

For the wheel cutouts, you mark the axle centerline, then use either a drafting circle template to make nice circles and then curved lexan scissors to cut them out, or use an adjustable circle cutter. I got my circle template at Staples, and the circle cutter at a local crafts store (Pat Catan's in Strongsville, just down the road from the Gate). Here is a link to one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/9911-CMP-1-Com.../dp/B000BK7NWC

HTH.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Mike -

For the wheel cutouts, you mark the axle centerline, then use either a drafting circle template to make nice circles and then curved lexan scissors to cut them out, or use an adjustable circle cutter. I got my circle template at Staples, and the circle cutter at a local crafts store (Pat Catan's in Strongsville, just down the road from the Gate). Here is a link to one on Amazon:

HTH.
Thanks joe I'll check that out,are you going to practice sat?
Jason, I didnt get to run the car yet figured I would help my son get his done then go thursday yay, but I got a pm that they were going to be real busy at the track setting up some jumps and stuff for a race on friday, so practice on sat and race on sunday. will let ya know how it goes.
thanks
mike
Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've got a set of tires that are 41.25mm/43.25mm. With the new front end....can I still run these?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Mike -

HTH.
This one will NOT get small enough to do 12th scale wheels. I suggest finding some other device.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayBee
I've got a set of tires that are 41.25mm/43.25mm. With the new front end....can I still run these?
At the IIC I ran a 42mm rear and a 41mm front tire. Getting ride height is no problem with the new front end
Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kave
This one will NOT get small enough to do 12th scale wheels. I suggest finding some other device.
Mine worked just fine on a Parma EE1 body this afternoon...
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

This new front end is hottt!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks InspGadgt
Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

AAA 41mm front aAaaaa no foam ;-)

Still wait for AE 12R5.1 front

Regards and good luck!
m.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Regional Moderator

Thanks joe I'll check that out,are you going to practice sat?
Nope. I'll be at the races Sunday.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Kave
I think the minimum this one will do is a 10mm diameter circle. Works on 1/12 scale for me. I usually make the front wheel opening around 45mm and the rear wheel opening about 50mm.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

WooHoo...guess who just received his new Copperhead 12 with the new front-end .

Thanks Jason...that was a pretty quick trip to the Great White North (lest anyone think I'm joking, I woke up to a dusting of snow this morning ).

Looking forward to building this up and getting on the carpet next week. I know not too many folks have run this yet but is the setup that Jason posted a few pages ago still a good place to start? This would be for a smallish track with only Medium grip.

I'll post a pic or 2 when I get it built up!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Tech Champion

If it is the same setup I got from Jason for the IIC that should be a good starting point. I drove it on high bite so for medium you may want to use the screws for the rear flex plates in the long position. If you need more steering you can always go back to the short position. I really would have liked to have more time on the rug to play with the front droop setting just to see how the car reacted to changes but really only got about 20 to 30 minutes of practice time in before qualifiers started. I missed my first practice session because I still had to cut tires and the wheel wells of the body Next big race I go to I plan to start stocking up on tires and cutting them before the race so I have a selection to choose from that I can start testing with right away. To set front droop the same left to right I used a slip of paper under the droop screw and set it so the paper had the same amount of drag on it when I tried to pull it out on both sides. I ran yellow rears and lilac fronts because that seemed to be the tires or close to what the other stock drivers were using. Just for grins though I tried double pink rears and lilac fronts and found that after the initial bite of the traction compound wore off that the car still had a lot of grip even with the harder rear tires.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
If it is the same setup I got from Jason for the IIC that should be a good starting point. I drove it on high bite so for medium you may want to use the screws for the rear flex plates in the long position. If you need more steering you can always go back to the short position. I really would have liked to have more time on the rug to play with the front droop setting just to see how the car reacted to changes but really only got about 20 to 30 minutes of practice time in before qualifiers started. I missed my first practice session because I still had to cut tires and the wheel wells of the body Next big race I go to I plan to start stocking up on tires and cutting them before the race so I have a selection to choose from that I can start testing with right away. To set front droop the same left to right I used a slip of paper under the droop screw and set it so the paper had the same amount of drag on it when I tried to pull it out on both sides. I ran yellow rears and lilac fronts because that seemed to be the tires or close to what the other stock drivers were using. Just for grins though I tried double pink rears and lilac fronts and found that after the initial bite of the traction compound wore off that the car still had a lot of grip even with the harder rear tires.
Thats exactly how I do it with the exception of a thin small metal mm ruler that I have. I wish I could have afforded to go to the IIC this year It would have been cool to pit with ya and get our cars dialed in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.