R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #751
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,838
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Just finished car,body, have it all set up the best I can haha just a plain white body for now. here are some pics from my phone hopefully they aren't to bad

I really need to learn how to do nice bodies Cutouts and paint lol
Very nice bro. Let me know if you need any help getting it set up.
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #752
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
I really need to learn how to do nice bodies Cutouts and paint lol
Mike -

For the wheel cutouts, you mark the axle centerline, then use either a drafting circle template to make nice circles and then curved lexan scissors to cut them out, or use an adjustable circle cutter. I got my circle template at Staples, and the circle cutter at a local crafts store (Pat Catan's in Strongsville, just down the road from the Gate). Here is a link to one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/9911-CMP-1-Com.../dp/B000BK7NWC

HTH.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #753
Tech Master
 
whynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Mike -

For the wheel cutouts, you mark the axle centerline, then use either a drafting circle template to make nice circles and then curved lexan scissors to cut them out, or use an adjustable circle cutter. I got my circle template at Staples, and the circle cutter at a local crafts store (Pat Catan's in Strongsville, just down the road from the Gate). Here is a link to one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/9911-CMP-1-Com.../dp/B000BK7NWC

HTH.
Thanks joe I'll check that out,are you going to practice sat?
Jason, I didnt get to run the car yet figured I would help my son get his done then go thursday yay, but I got a pm that they were going to be real busy at the track setting up some jumps and stuff for a race on friday, so practice on sat and race on sunday. will let ya know how it goes.
thanks
mike
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #754
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

I've got a set of tires that are 41.25mm/43.25mm. With the new front end....can I still run these?
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #755
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,626
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Mike -

For the wheel cutouts, you mark the axle centerline, then use either a drafting circle template to make nice circles and then curved lexan scissors to cut them out, or use an adjustable circle cutter. I got my circle template at Staples, and the circle cutter at a local crafts store (Pat Catan's in Strongsville, just down the road from the Gate). Here is a link to one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/9911-CMP-1-Com.../dp/B000BK7NWC

HTH.
This one will NOT get small enough to do 12th scale wheels. I suggest finding some other device.
__________________
Kevin Van Ert | MFR | CRC Racing | Team Scream Racing | Hobbywing | Xenon USA | Dumpers Speed Shop | Genesis RC | Race Rewards | Lake Superior RC Car Club | www.lsrcc.com
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #756
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I've got a set of tires that are 41.25mm/43.25mm. With the new front end....can I still run these?
At the IIC I ran a 42mm rear and a 41mm front tire. Getting ride height is no problem with the new front end
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #757
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave View Post
This one will NOT get small enough to do 12th scale wheels. I suggest finding some other device.
Mine worked just fine on a Parma EE1 body this afternoon...
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #758
Tech Master
 
Scooby Horton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,372
Default

This new front end is hottt!!!
__________________
Trinity,EPIC,Oddy Racing,IRS,Sweep racing,Brown Engineering,Mugen USA,Team Xray,RC America,R.I.P. motorsports,Tekin,Customworks,Parma PSE,Ashford Hobbies,D&K Hobbies, TQ-wire,Local 69 Woodputters Union,Big Ant get well soon!!Quinn my BFF!
Dee Lee is a nut and I don't condone what he will say next!
Scooby Horton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #759
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Thanks InspGadgt
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #760
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Poland, Warsaw
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

AAA 41mm front aAaaaa no foam ;-)

Still wait for AE 12R5.1 front

Regards and good luck!
m.
__________________
Michal Abramowicz
http://abram.eu.org/gear_tc6.php
My setups there -> http://www.rc-setups.com
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #761
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Thanks joe I'll check that out,are you going to practice sat?
Nope. I'll be at the races Sunday.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #762
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave View Post
This one will NOT get small enough to do 12th scale wheels. I suggest finding some other device.
I think the minimum this one will do is a 10mm diameter circle. Works on 1/12 scale for me. I usually make the front wheel opening around 45mm and the rear wheel opening about 50mm.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #763
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB CANADA
Posts: 833
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

WooHoo...guess who just received his new Copperhead 12 with the new front-end .

Thanks Jason...that was a pretty quick trip to the Great White North (lest anyone think I'm joking, I woke up to a dusting of snow this morning ).

Looking forward to building this up and getting on the carpet next week. I know not too many folks have run this yet but is the setup that Jason posted a few pages ago still a good place to start? This would be for a smallish track with only Medium grip.

I'll post a pic or 2 when I get it built up!

Cheers,
Mike
__________________
Mike
Hyper_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #764
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

If it is the same setup I got from Jason for the IIC that should be a good starting point. I drove it on high bite so for medium you may want to use the screws for the rear flex plates in the long position. If you need more steering you can always go back to the short position. I really would have liked to have more time on the rug to play with the front droop setting just to see how the car reacted to changes but really only got about 20 to 30 minutes of practice time in before qualifiers started. I missed my first practice session because I still had to cut tires and the wheel wells of the body Next big race I go to I plan to start stocking up on tires and cutting them before the race so I have a selection to choose from that I can start testing with right away. To set front droop the same left to right I used a slip of paper under the droop screw and set it so the paper had the same amount of drag on it when I tried to pull it out on both sides. I ran yellow rears and lilac fronts because that seemed to be the tires or close to what the other stock drivers were using. Just for grins though I tried double pink rears and lilac fronts and found that after the initial bite of the traction compound wore off that the car still had a lot of grip even with the harder rear tires.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #765
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
If it is the same setup I got from Jason for the IIC that should be a good starting point. I drove it on high bite so for medium you may want to use the screws for the rear flex plates in the long position. If you need more steering you can always go back to the short position. I really would have liked to have more time on the rug to play with the front droop setting just to see how the car reacted to changes but really only got about 20 to 30 minutes of practice time in before qualifiers started. I missed my first practice session because I still had to cut tires and the wheel wells of the body Next big race I go to I plan to start stocking up on tires and cutting them before the race so I have a selection to choose from that I can start testing with right away. To set front droop the same left to right I used a slip of paper under the droop screw and set it so the paper had the same amount of drag on it when I tried to pull it out on both sides. I ran yellow rears and lilac fronts because that seemed to be the tires or close to what the other stock drivers were using. Just for grins though I tried double pink rears and lilac fronts and found that after the initial bite of the traction compound wore off that the car still had a lot of grip even with the harder rear tires.
Thats exactly how I do it with the exception of a thin small metal mm ruler that I have. I wish I could have afforded to go to the IIC this year It would have been cool to pit with ya and get our cars dialed in
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:19 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net