Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
FASTCATS.ca Monday May 22 Victoria Day Race Recap!!!!!!! >

FASTCATS.ca Monday May 22 Victoria Day Race Recap!!!!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FASTCATS.ca Monday May 22 Victoria Day Race Recap!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default FASTCATS.ca Monday May 22 Victoria Day Race Recap!!!!!!!

So the weather forecast all week and even Monday morning showed a Sunny with brief cloudy periods and a high of 17deg. Well those weather people need a slap on the back of their head! Monday was anything but sunny and semi warm.

The race day started off later then usual as no one was quite sure whether to cancel the race day due to cold weather and just run a general practice day. However all our egos eventually decided on to run a full-fledged race day!!!

The race day brought some new and old faces, I was a little depressed that my favorite class to watch (12th Scale Open MOD!!!!) was not being run as it truly is spectacular to see those lil guys rip up the track and make the nitro cars look slow! The day was comprised of 3 1/10th Nitro heats, one 1/10th 19t Sportsman, one 1/10th Open Mod, and yes of course the fan favorite Mini Outlaw class!!! (Black can).

The track layout stayed the same as the last race; although the layout was a known by most of the racers it still proved to be very challenging. The traction was med-high as the cold weather left a lot of drivers questioning their tire choice. The new barriers were appreciated by all of us drivers as very little breakage occurred due to hitting the barriers, a testament to the ongoing course engineering by FastCats own John C and Nick I.

So lets get to the action!!!! the first qualifiers were the 1/10th nitro class, during the first round of Qualifying it was up in the air as to who was going to be sitting pretty with TQ, the 3rd heat of the nitro class was a star studded event; Brenno C, Ty Grant, Ross C, Francis L, Wally E and yours truly. The 10min qualifiers allow for some great action, Ross C had the early TQ pace and everyone was throwing down some incredible laps and heroic theatrics. By the end of the qualifier I landed the TQ position by over 2 laps, this wasn't to say that I was that much faster, I credit it to luck and lack of traffic as Brenno, Ty and Ross had traffic problems.

The 19t Sportsman class was owned by Berrick, however Andy B (Stoneman the marble guy) was close behind and has really improved over the past few months posting lap times "comparable" to his son the wonder child the protégé Safety Steve B. The RC Wife Rita D was throwing down some incredible laps proving to that RC racing isn’t just for the boys anymore!!!

The 1/10th Open mod class was dominated by FastCats own; Bawdy Shop entrepreneur, racing guru and uber handy man Nick I, Bill R didn’t disappoint as he kept Nick on his toes, the RC Dad and Son put on a good show as well proving that practice makes perfect and with each weekend tat comes and goes there skill level increases significantly, soon the Dawes will own the RC Ontario racing scene!

So the last heat in Qualifying was the Minis, unfortunately missing the Mini King John C(he had to run the race day, scoring and timing or so he says) Fiona had her mini "HOOKED" literally as it seemed her car had a fish hook with com drops for bait attracting all the minis to it! Fiona dominated the first round of qualifying showing us boys what minis can really do! I mean who ever though a mini could run so well upside down!!!

The second round of Qualifying..........Short and quick, nothing changed! Except for a few casualties (RC) and Danny making a strong Q run and making it up to the 3rd heat of 1/10th Nitro Class (3rd heat usually represents the fastest in the class [3rd = last heat of that class]). Congrats Danny on a great qualifier!

(P.S. Sorry if I'm forgetting to write about others / you, but there’s a lot to remember and if I don’t write about you it doesn’t mean I don't like you.....Goooo John Doe!!!)

The third round of qualifying started off with a bang!!! Literally, as the first class of 1/10th Nitro made a lot of noise hitting the "soft" barriers, it didn’t matter though as the first round was a group of friends battling it out and having fun, which is really what it is all about!!!

As I decided to sit out the 2nd and 3rd round of qualifying because I thought I was safe on pole / TQ and also to save my car (from myself) it was up to Brenno, Ty, Ross and Francis to really let it rip!!! From the get go Brenno was flying (please note "flying") by the 3min mark Brenno was on a 54 lap qualifying pace bettering my time by over 2 laps!!! Ty was on a 53 lap pace and Ross and Francis both posting early 52 lap paces. My eyebrow raised and I made a few changes and threw my car on the track to see where I was at compared to the top runners, I was pretty happy and took my car off to let everyone else duke it out and make me look silly for sitting out the last qualifier.

I was feeling pretty dim as Brenno was looking to beat my TQ pace by over 2 laps when within 2 minutes to go Brenno did the impossible.....wy impossible???? Well Brenno hooked a turn a little to soon and gunned it (floored it / pedal to the Metal) into the soft barrier and launched his car over 6ft in the air (remember the note about "flying") literally his car flew in the air for over 20ft and somehow that can only be explained as an RC guardian angel (please reference: Angels in the Outfield http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109127/) landed as soft as a babies butt on the cold hard unforgiving asphalt. This gave me a glimpse of hope to keep my TQ as the time was finally up and as John C read off the results Ty Grant pulled off the TQ by 2.5 seconds, the main was looking to be good one!!!!

The rest of the qualifying again stayed the same, however John P seemed to find a little extra HP in his Mini battling it out with Robert (sorry if that’s not your real name) LOL!!! Roberts’s car was definitely the supreme being of the mini world, as it seemed he could just about dust all of us off without thinking twice.

THE MAINS!!!!!!!!!!!

1/10th Nitro B Main
Ron D made the B main a thing of beauty telling the entire A Mainers that next week, I'm coming for ya! The group of friends had fun battling it out with each other however RC causalities and attrition played apart in there race.

1/10th Nitro A main
The biggest and most competitive class of the day, a who's who for 1/10th nitro racing in Ontario was in attendance!!! (Minus Howard its to cold for me Cho) Ty sat on TQ, Myself in 2nd and Brenno the Aviator in 3rd (sorry I don’t remember the exact starting order of everyone else) and the rest of the class comprising of Francis L, Wally E, Danny B and Bill R.

Ty made a fatal (RC) error during warm-up as he stopped on the straight to get his engine tuned, whilst Danny B with nowhere to go careened into Ty's rear end leaving Ty with 3/4's of a car left. Ty unfortunately was unable to fix his car for the race.

Now sitting 30secs to the start of the race the straight was closed for refueling. Now sitting back in 1st spot with a clear track ahead of me I focused my attention on Steph C the "flag girl" for the start of the race. The flag was lifted and everyone was off to what has to be the cleanest start in RC history, congrats to everyone on keeping it clean for the first few laps. The race had little drama as Brenno and myself separated ourselves from the rest of the field it wasn't going to be easy to win this race as I knew Brenno is fast, not only fast he’s the Canadian champion, he is the man to beat completely dominating the competition in 2005. I had to race hard and consistent, which for me is more of a challenge then tying my shoe laces (I wear slip on shoes!!!) Luckily I had nothing but luck for the short 15min main, Brenno ran into a few traffic problems which eased my lead, however I was not going to ease up at all as I knew that Brenno and I were running between 10.8 and 11 sec laps so any mistake and Brenno would pass me!!!

At the end of 15mins I ended up taking the win, and yes I was very happy, sorry not just happy but ecstatic, I credit 50% of my win to a great pit man John the Postman who did an absolute magnificent job and helped me stay in front!!!!!

The 19t Sportsman class was won by Beric putting just a couple of laps on his competition, however Andy stayed strong and won the 2nd spot!!! as Rita D gave him great competition.

The Open class Nick I dominated again with what seemed like he was running a 1 turn single with 22 cells great job NICK!! Bill put fourth a great 2nd spot showing as the Dawes followed up with a close following positions but as always they all finished with the biggest smiles on their faces which again is what really matters in RC racing!!!

The Mini Class was a toss up between Fiona, RC dad, John P and Robert!! Fiona owned the first ¾ of the race, with her fish hook strategy Fiona really made the guys sweat as Robert and John squeezed everything out of there Minis. Unfortunately Fiona tried some last lap heroics that ended up costing her 15 laps (DON’T ASK ABOUT MY MATH) Robert convincingly won, as John the Postman who usually delivers “posted” a 2nd spot finish!

Yes, Yes, Yes, and one more YES! That’s it from FastCats Monday May 22 Victoria Day Race Recap!!!!!!! Again all our thanks go out to Pam & John, Stephanie, John, Matt, Michael, Catricala & Nick I the honorary Son for putting together another flawless day of racing and fun whether it’s a major trophy race or day like today a general club race, your efforts will never go unnoticed!!!

See you next Race Day!!!!!!

SPECIAL NOTABLES: Good Luck Martin C, Corey “The Great Whyte Hype” Whiteman and Steve “the wonder, child the protégé” Bortolotti

The 3-mentioned above have been practicing for this coming weeks major race in California. The Reedy race is known to e the Daytona 500 of RC racing. Lets all give our best hopes and wishes to these 3 who will be representing Canada and FastCats