R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2004, 02:30 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default Trinity D6 Flat vs Round wire

What is the difference between the D6 flat wire and the round wire? Is the flat wire mainly for on-road? Thanks.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The flatwire amrs seem to decelerate faster, so It feels like there is more natural drag brake in the car. Hope that helps some.

-Sushi Boy
Old 04-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
TLRacing

I feel that the flat wire gives you more bottom and midrange power which is awesome in TC. In 2wd offroad I still like the round wire since it is smoother to drive. In 4wd and truck you can get way with the flat wire since you have more traction.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
Tech Addict

I think flat wire has more RPM and less torque, than standard, so it would be better on small tracks. Because it revs up faster.
I think almost any properly wound and balanced motor can be made to work if you time and gear it right and use the correct brushes and springs. Of course you need to experiment for couple of days .
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:06 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by andsetinn
I think flat wire has more RPM and less torque, than standard, so it would be better on small tracks. Because it revs up faster.
I think almost any properly wound and balanced motor can be made to work if you time and gear it right and use the correct brushes and springs. Of course you need to experiment for couple of days .
That sounds backwards to me.

More Torque means your engine has more power to spin up to full speed faster. That means it would give you more acceleration. Torque is the measurement of pulling power. For example when you drive your car in the lower gears (1st or 2nd gear) you have the most torque to get your car moving. The higher gears (4th, 5th and 6th if you have a nice sports car) are the RPM gears you get maximum speed.

The more RPM you have the more Top Speed you will have. If your motor revs Higher that means its able to spin in a full circle more often in a minute then an engine with less RPM.

So if you are racing on a short track you want more Torque, not more RPM. Because you probably will never hit your full RPM but you'll be accelerating a lot.
Paul_Kultcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

From an on-road point of view the flatwires have more torque, they absolutely rip out of the corners. The roundwires are very smooth driving and have a little higher RPM.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:42 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I agree with Randman, I run a D5 and i get awsome punch out of the corners. i love it but it is all on how you drive your car.

Cheers
Paul Griffin

Hobbytime.com.au
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

oh, its that thing were people dont know what "torque" is.
alot of torque is where the engine will accelerate and keep on accelerating at the same rate right up to a rev limiter

not alot of torque is normally when you either get lots of acceleration for the first bit but the rest of the acceleration is more gradual. or not alot of initial acceleration but it picks up toward the top end. hope that helps

but maybe i am wrong, lol

Last edited by pheyhoe; 04-14-2004 at 08:21 AM.
pheyhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Kultcha
That sounds backwards to me.

More Torque means your engine has more power to spin up to full speed faster. That means it would give you more acceleration. Torque is the measurement of pulling power. For example when you drive your car in the lower gears (1st or 2nd gear) you have the most torque to get your car moving. The higher gears (4th, 5th and 6th if you have a nice sports car) are the RPM gears you get maximum speed.

The more RPM you have the more Top Speed you will have. If your motor revs Higher that means its able to spin in a full circle more often in a minute then an engine with less RPM.

So if you are racing on a short track you want more Torque, not more RPM. Because you probably will never hit your full RPM but you'll be accelerating a lot.
This is correct, or at least thats how ive always had it explained to me.
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:11 AM   #10
Tech Elite

for me combination of rpm,midrange and torque regardless on how you gear your motor.
rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #11
Tech Addict

We seem to have found out that the flatwire has better accelleration out of corners. It would therefore seem to be better suited to small tracks.

Torque itself is pretty useless as a measure of power!!! (Oh my God, what have I said, I'll be skinned alive for those words. ) But why is torque useless yardstick? Because horsepower, the total power that the motor can put out, is Torque multiplied with RPM multiplied with 5252 (you could have different number, but 5252 is right for one measure of torque). You can have servo with 100 oz of of torque and nitro engine with 90 oz of torque. So if you used Torque as measure of power a car equipped with servo as motor would win over nitro equipped car. The nitro engine spins way faster than servo so car equipped with nitro engine would take the servo motored car and whip it. You have to consider RPM to see the real power a motor can put out.

The greatest hindrance to accelleration is inertia. It takes lot of power to get heavy things moving, less power to get lighter things moving. Armature with less wire is lighter so it spins up faster, it has greater accelleration (up to a point). To increase torque you need more wire which equals heavier armature which equals less accelleration (up to a point).

I'm quoting Big Jim from memory here. I confess in advance that my memory is not my strongest point. "Armatures with less mass of wire have higher rpm but less torque. They weigh less so they spin up faster wich gives more acceleration."

And here from
"Torque is what twists the tire, prop, or pump. Horsepower helps us understand an amount or quantity of torque. (Torque + time and distance)"

Last edited by andsetinn; 04-14-2004 at 11:58 AM.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Actually..

(Torque X RPM)/5250 or 52... = Horsepower

So why (they ask) does a mod SEEM like it has more torque than a stock motor...?

Because of RPM. The motor is doing MORE work per minute, and since the motors are geared lower, what you see is more acceleration.

Basically, the equivelant to Horsepower with an electric motor is read in Watts. Higher watts equals more power.

Gearing is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO X 10 to the 40th power... Important.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote