R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Tire life ?

On average how many runs do you guys get out of a set of rubber tires when running outdoors on pavement. And when do you feel that the tires need to be replaced? I know it will depend on the track and temp and all that but I am looking for a rule of thumb here. Thanks

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

maybe 8 races I run until I hit the insert
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:20 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply. Is that 8 packs or 8 weekly races?

Thanks
Brant

Old 04-10-2004, 12:31 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I once ran a set of Tamiya mini slicks on my HPI RS4 mini for over 100 battery packs. Each pack is about 5 minutes of run time. The only thing I did was to use a mousepad as the tire insert. I also was running a 12 turn motor so speed was very fast.

In general, the more expensive tires can sometimes be the most cost effective. I have used cheap tires that have worn out in less than an hour of run time.

Have fun!

Joel M.
http://www.rccartips.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 05:42 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How many runs can you get with rubber tires (sorex) until they start to put out slower laptimes.

This is the only issue I have with rubber tires, but everytime i ask this question i never get an answer. This is the main reason I like to run foam tires on asphalt, same laptimes for the entire life of the tire.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 06:02 AM   #6
Tech Adept

dontfeelcold:

Way too many whatifs to give you an answer to that question. That is probably why it is never answered.

Tire hardness, tire prep, type of insert, surface condition, temp, surface temp, car setup, and driving style will all greatly affect tire life. So if somebody tells you 3 runs, or 2 dozen runs, they're just pulling a number from the sky.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:16 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I have been running sedans for the past 2 yrs now and really have only run Take-Off premounts,22's,27's,and 32's. I see many references to Sorex 36's with HPI green inserts. Can anyone compare the traction and tire life of the Take-Off 27's and the Sorex 36's? I guess what I am after is will a more expensive set of tires give me better traction for a longer life span? Lets say for now I am getting 3 really good runs out of the Take-Offs before they seem to slip a little. Brand new always feels dialed. Can I assume that the Sorex's will give me say 4 to 6 good runs before they seem to slip a little in performance? I know there are many variables but on the same sedan in the same conditions head to head. Help me out here fellas, just looking for some opinions and all are welcome.

Brant

Old 04-10-2004, 09:23 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I think I can give a pretty accurate answer. I have talked to P-Dub more than once on this issue.

1- It really depends on what level of racing you are inquiring about.

2- This is assuming your car is well tuned for the conditions and you are running the correct temp compound.

First three runs- best runs the tire will produce. Use these for the A mains or big races.

Next 5-7 runs- next best runs the tires will produce. Use these for qualifiers, lower mains or club races.

All runs after 8-10- pretty much practice tires. They are consistent after this and good for tuning and practicing. You can tune the balance of the car with these tires and know that a fresh set will be typically 2-3 tenths faster on a medium size track.

Since P-Dub and Adrian are pretty much the Take Off tire pros maybe they can add to this. The CS tires have definately become the industry standard for asphalt rubber tire racing. No matter where I go or what the local "fast guys" say, I start with CS premounts because I know my car well enough to know where to go from there. In fact, other than tuning the Take Off tires with firmer inserts for super high traction tracks, you would be hard pressed to go faster with any other tire. Maybe as fast, but not faster.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
Tech Elite

im sure it will last forever if you don't use it .

joke only

depend on what level are you driving
rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

i run the yokomo 35r slicks, and some pretty cool pit shimizu slicks i got. My yokos are awesome, they have awesome grip on slick, noprepared surfaces, and the pits are awesome on sticky nonprepared surfaces. My yokos lasted me about 8 weeks, thats running 4 races a week, so 32 races, plus practice. My pits lasted me about 3 week, which is 12 races plus practice.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:38 PM   #11
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Racer_Chick Send a message via MSN to Racer_Chick

I run take-off CS-27's (premount) on smooth asphalt and can usually get about a month or so out of them.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Big Dog- Waassup. You coming this weekend to ATL? I get there Thursday night.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Thanks BigDog and others. Thats what I was looking for. Now just need a SugarMoma so I can always run brand new tires.

Thanks
Brant

Old 04-10-2004, 11:17 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon Melton
Big Dog- Waassup. You coming this weekend to ATL? I get there Thursday night.
Yea I should be there Thurs or Fri- not sure yet.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:24 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bodido
dontfeelcold:

Way too many whatifs to give you an answer to that question. That is probably why it is never answered.

Tire hardness, tire prep, type of insert, surface condition, temp, surface temp, car setup, and driving style will all greatly affect tire life. So if somebody tells you 3 runs, or 2 dozen runs, they're just pulling a number from the sky.
Thats the truth! I was running sorex 36s on my LD3 when I first got it. I was not used to driving nitro so I would burn through a set in one race day. After I got smoother at driving then They would last me about three race days.
Nthegame is offline   Reply With Quote