R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #121
Tech Master

Thanks guys its nice to share stuff I know. I learned how to scale setting up dirt late models for the last 15 years. All the geometry and theorys apply directly to RC. Just with smaller measurements. Besides I learned from someone teaching me.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #122
Tech Apprentice

Default weight distribution

speedyphat,
actually we where talking about the exact same thing earlier as you just posted what i was trying to tell you earlier.some miscomunnication i think on both our parts.as for hanging the car that will only let you balance it left /right and front /rear with things that are part of the car electronics,batteries,etc. it will not let you adjust the wheel weights except to make them closer at the start or bias the car to one end or side.this is what happens when you raise or lower one end of the car.you actually shift weight towards the lower end.this is turning out to be one of the better sites i have seen in a while glad everyone is learning something because nobody knows everything!
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:28 AM   #123
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

ttt

This thread ROCKS.
Thanks Speedy Phatt
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:24 AM   #124
Tech Regular

Like gearless I use 4 500gr scales. After seeing his scales I had to get a sistem like that.

The car has to be adjusted so that the diagonals are equal or whithin 1% difference.

If we can get the same reading on the left wheels and on the right the better, but the diagonals is what really matters because the weight of the car is transferred that way.

I made a small excel spreadsheet and I input te readings from the 4 scales.

The first time I took almost an hour to adjust the car. Now it takes me 10 minutes to do it.

Adjusting a spring pre load affetcs all the wheels, but it's easy to have the same exact weight on both diagonals.

This method changed my mind about the balance and additional weight placement on the cars.

A firend of mine has a Losi XXX-S that was showing huge handling problems when turning left at speed. Everybody was attributing this to the excessive weight on the right side of the car.
After adjusting the car on the scales not only it handles perfect, but it was the best left/right balanced car I tested. The car was 1 gr heavier on the motor side. Who would tell (Gil Losi probably LOL)?

How do I use the XLS at the track? I take a Palm with me...

The example attached if for an Xray T1FK with batteries all the way back, a Futaba 9450, and a Ko 302 and Nosram Evolution on the left side .

The Rx is the closest possible to the centre of the car and the Nosram is mounted with the wires facing the centre of the car.
I have 10gr weight just behind the bumper on the right side of the car and 25gr on the right mounting position close to the pinion.
30gr are installed on the centreline of the car.

Here's the spreadsheet
Attached Files
File Type: zip balancas.zip (2.5 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by antoniop; 09-21-2004 at 07:16 AM.
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:32 AM   #125
Tech Adept

Nice !!!
gearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #126
Tech Fanatic

After reading this old thread I thought it deserved a bump.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #127
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
After reading this old thread I thought it deserved a bump.
after 2 1/2 years!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Posts like this should be stickied or posted in an sub forums so they aren't overlooked, this is a good thread.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #129
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
after 2 1/2 years!
Hell yes.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #130
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Talking It really works

I recently purchased 4 scales to try this out and it really does work.

I have an Xray T2 with the Mamba Max 7700 brushless. I knew my car was unbalanced so I picked up the balance tool for the car and balanced it as close as I could Left /right. I used a small bubble level to help me with this.

So I got it balanced, put the tires on it all trued up the same, then set the droop and ride height. Next i made sure the glass I was using as my setup board was nice and flat and level....put the scales on it and turned it on.

This is what it said

343.0 LF 421.6 RF
413.0 LR 326.9 RR

I did what Speedie was saying and took load off the heavy corners and added load to the lighter corners. It didn't take much to set all the corners near perfect within 3/4 gram. Ans yes I did recheck the ride height and it was bang on. I also ended up with a balance of 50.8% front and 49.2% rear. Almost 50/50. My car was pretty good to drive before I did all this now I'm hoping by balancing it left/right and all 4 corners it will be that much better.

Going to try it this Sunday to see.

Anyway just want to thank everyone for the info that was provided on this thread. Very useful stuff.

Thanks
dougmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #131
Tech Master

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray
Posts like this should be stickied or posted in an sub forums so they aren't overlooked, this is a good thread.

I added it ot my favorites
Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #132
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

dougmartin

your left and right distribution for the front and rear is still no balance right? just wondering... i dont really use scale. so just wondering how you guys do that. may car runs good though with out any scale.

thanx
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #133
Tech Master

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmartin
I recently purchased 4 scales to try this out and it really does work.

I have an Xray T2 with the Mamba Max 7700 brushless. I knew my car was unbalanced so I picked up the balance tool for the car and balanced it as close as I could Left /right. I used a small bubble level to help me with this.

So I got it balanced, put the tires on it all trued up the same, then set the droop and ride height. Next i made sure the glass I was using as my setup board was nice and flat and level....put the scales on it and turned it on.

This is what it said

343.0 LF 421.6 RF
413.0 LR 326.9 RR

I did what Speedie was saying and took load off the heavy corners and added load to the lighter corners. It didn't take much to set all the corners near perfect within 3/4 gram. Ans yes I did recheck the ride height and it was bang on. I also ended up with a balance of 50.8% front and 49.2% rear. Almost 50/50. My car was pretty good to drive before I did all this now I'm hoping by balancing it left/right and all 4 corners it will be that much better.

Going to try it this Sunday to see.

Anyway just want to thank everyone for the info that was provided on this thread. Very useful stuff.

Thanks
Those #'s are what I got when I put it on the scale right after setting droop and ride height. While on the scales I turned the shock collar up to take weight off the heavy shock and turned it down to add weight the light shock. It didn't take very much adjustment of the shocks to get it really close. I forgot to write down the #'s but they are within a few grams of each other.
Hope it makes sence.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

i'm looking fo some serious help.

1-i back out the shock collars all the way to the top and made a mark on each one.

2-then i loosened all the screws on the chassis and top deck, layed it on a flat setup board and tightened the screws criss-cross diagonal style(like tightening bolts on a car rim).

3-then i turned the front shock collars 3 full turns each and the rears 7 full turns each. this is the result:
5mm- front left / front right -4.5mm
4.5mm- rear left / rear right -4.5mm

what i'm getting at is what would i do next til i get some scales?
i'm assuming the car's weight is not balanced.
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #135
Tech Fanatic

Are your droop screws bottoming out by chance?

Even if the car is perfectly balanced the ride height may not be even all the way around due to possible slight differences in spring resistance and length. You don't need 4 scales to balance the car. Just set it up on a couple golf tees in the center of the car left to right and then front to back. Once balanced or even before balancing you can adjust the car on a tweak station to achieve equal cross weight.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club