Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Weight Distribution - How to do perfectly? >

Weight Distribution - How to do perfectly?

Weight Distribution - How to do perfectly?

Old 04-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

I didnt know they made different threads that was good thinking. I run Afco double adjustables on 3 corners boy are those things a nightmare to figure out, but worth it in the long run. Its a good thing my friend has a dyno.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default weight distribution

aaron you are right about putting one round in changing ride height.but yo only ajusted one spring absolutely it will change.the point i was making is that to properly balance the car r/c not real race cars you need to do things evenly(slight tweek on one is ok to balance perfectly is ok).even turns in and out on opposite corners will balance the wheel weights WITHOUT changing the ride height.this only works if your ride is set properly before you start.try it and see for yourself it will work.this is the easiest way for someone to do it especially someone with no prevoius experience working on race cars.on a touring car you want balance not wedge that is why it works.besides the fact for those that dont know oval cars run different tire diameters and ride heights on all four corners,plus wedge to get the car to turn in the corners.this is not what you want in a t/c.imo
Old 04-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When you move weight around to balance the car, do you take into account the weight of some of the suspension components?for example, some install heavy aluminum c-hub carriers and even alum uprights.

If I had aluminum c-hubs in front and all-plastic parts at the rear, on the scales (or when the car issuspended on a string) the car might appear balanced but the actual sprung weight is not.

So do I remove all un-sprung weights befor balancing the chassis?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

weigh your car and balance your car just as you would race it otherwise everything will change.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Regional Moderator

Has anyone tried these scales?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Pretty cheap and if they works, it might save you some money.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by UnderDaHill
Has anyone tried these scales?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Pretty cheap and if they works, it might save you some money.
Those scales are the exact same scales I use to weight all my parts for correct balance. Soon I'm going to go get 4 more of them and build my own balance board. I'm sure you can get them all over the place, but I got mine at Target. They cost about $30 and are in the same section as the cookware...you know, for those who have to weight everything before they cook it!
Old 04-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default weight disribution

guys just buy the integy weight system its only 80 dollars ,i did the postal scale thing its to big and shuts off half way through.all you need is your setup board and the integy unit.this way you can bring it with you to the track.plus if you look on ebay there is almost always one on there for about 60 dollars ,i assume because they come with no real directions and the guys couldnt figure out how to use it properly.just my 2 cents.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: weight disribution

Originally posted by morpwr
guys just buy the integy weight system its only 80 dollars ,i did the postal scale thing its to big and shuts off half way through.all you need is your setup board and the integy unit.this way you can bring it with you to the track.plus if you look on ebay there is almost always one on there for about 60 dollars ,i assume because they come with no real directions and the guys couldnt figure out how to use it properly.just my 2 cents.
I have the Integy system and I'm thinking of dumping it for the 4 scale setup. The reason is that I would like the ability to see all 4 weights at once, which means I can change 2 opposing corners at once and see how that effects the other 2 corners without having to move the car or the balance posts around. Also, you do not have to remove the wheels, which will allow a "quick check" at the track just to be safe just before you toss the car on the track.

I dunno, perhaps I'm, as you say, one of those people who doesn't know how to use the Integy system, but I think 4 scales would be easier in the long run... maybe not, but I'd like to give it a try.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default weight distibution

cartman,
if you do it like i described in my previous post,even turns out on the heavy wheels(usually left rear and right front)and even turns in on the light wheels it works just fine,no need for a 4 scale setup.also turns out on heavy wheels adds weight to the light ones but will change your ride height if only done on two corners.also only doing one or two corners will not balance the wheel weights which is what you are trying to do.when properly balanced you will wind up with wheel weights of about 310-320grams approximately on all the wheels.slightly lighter or heavier front or rear depending on the car.just depends on what you like.also may be heavier if your car is heavy.what you want is both wheels on one end to be balanced and both ends to be close in weight.this will give you a neutral car,it wont push or be too loose as long as you have the right setup plus it repeatable every time.if the setup and wheel weights are the same the car will be the same as long as nothing else has changed diff setting,etc.everybodies cars i have done like this couldnt believe the difference in their cars from what they thought was a good car.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

This thread's definitely one of the juicier ones in a long time... I think the last one's "Faster Cornering Like Pro"

I'm going back through the entire thread but please, somebody explain the wedge thing are you referring to the shock body threads?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default wedge

wedge is when you purposely put more weight on two diagonal wheels usually alot more.this only works in oval car as it helps them turn one direction only.you DO NOT want this in a touring car the more balanced the wheel weights are the more neutral and easier to drive the car will be even if you miss the setup slightly.also the car will feel the same when turning left or right -no surprises!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default re : Wedge

So if I have an oval car and track runs Counter clockwise... I only turn left for the entire time...

what are the diagonal tires I'm interested in? Front right - Rear left ???? or Front Left - Rear Right tires???

what does do these tires do that makes them special?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: weight distibution

cartman,
if you do it like i described in my previous post,even turns out on the heavy wheels(usually left rear and right front)and even turns in on the light wheels it works just fine,no need for a 4 scale setup.also turns out on heavy wheels adds weight to the light ones but will change your ride height if only done on two corners.also only doing one or two corners will not balance the wheel weights which is what you are trying to do.when properly balanced you will wind up with wheel weights of about 310-320grams approximately on all the wheels.slightly lighter or heavier front or rear depending on the car.just depends on what you like.also may be heavier if your car is heavy.what you want is both wheels on one end to be balanced and both ends to be close in weight.this will give you a neutral car,it wont push or be too loose as long as you have the right setup plus it repeatable every time.if the setup and wheel weights are the same the car will be the same as long as nothing else has changed diff setting,etc.everybodies cars i have done like this couldnt believe the difference in their cars from what they thought was a good car.
Yes, I agree with you on the methods....out on the 2 heavy corners and in on the light ones. And perhaps, again, I am missing your point. Respectfully, what I am saying is that, as the person doing the balancing, it would be easier to see all the weights at the same time as you are moving corners in and out. That way you don't have to move your car around just to confirm your doing things correctly. I think my point is more of a "this is the fastest way to balance my car" kind of thing more than anything else. Overall simply getting the car balance is the most important thing, but how you get the car balanced is my point.

And again, I'm probably missing your point.... 'cause I can be thick like that.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

cartmen 34,
actually you didnt miss my point,but once you do it a few times you pretty much know how many turns youll need to go.as ive found all tc3 s anyways to be about the same and i cant see any reason to spend twice as much money or more for something that isnt as accurate.i have two small postal scales they arent as accurate at the lower end of the scales readings as it isnt really important for their intended use unlike our.
rough512,
actually they are all important but usually the right front and left rear will be heavier .the left front doesnt really do squat so to speak-ever watch a well setup outlaw car or dirt modified its hardly ever on the ground coming off a corner.this is because most of the weight gets transfered to the right rear .i actually lost a wheel in a nitro trophy race and finished with three for the last minute or so and it wasnt really noticable under power or when turning with the one left ,turning to the side without the tire was a whole nother story.still finished second!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: weight distribution

cartmen 34,
actually you didnt miss my point,but once you do it a few times you pretty much know how many turns youll need to go.as ive found all tc3 s anyways to be about the same and i cant see any reason to spend twice as much money or more for something that isnt as accurate.i have two small postal scales they arent as accurate at the lower end of the scales readings as it isnt really important for their intended use unlike our.
rough512,
actually they are all important but usually the right front and left rear will be heavier .the left front doesnt really do squat so to speak-ever watch a well setup outlaw car or dirt modified its hardly ever on the ground coming off a corner.this is because most of the weight gets transfered to the right rear .i actually lost a wheel in a nitro trophy race and finished with three for the last minute or so and it wasnt really noticable under power or when turning with the one left ,turning to the side without the tire was a whole nother story.still finished second!
wait a second.... we may be talking about two different kinds of racing here. I must have missed the part where we were talking about oval only racing. I was assuming we were talking about left AND right turns, in which case the left and right front's "should" take equal use/abuse. Of course, there has to be at least one more left than right or vis' versa to complete a road course circuit, but that's way beside the point.

The only time I could see puuposly putting wedge into a TC would be if the road course only had one or two of one type of corner (left or right). For this discussion I thought we were talking about perfect balance, implying 25% of the weight on each corner...as the post title indicates.

I probably decided to jump into the middle of a conversation without reading all the posts....it's so easy to do in these massive posts that are on this board!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.