R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default what motor and ESC should I buy

I have an HPI Mini RS4 (yes mini, not micro), and I want to get a new motor and ESC. What should I get. There are so many options. It is a touring car/on-road. I basically want a motor that last long, due to low power drain, and has hi-speeds. I want a motor that can do 40-50 mph. Electronic Speed Controller that can handle a High turn motor, and has a reverse. Any suggestions please?

Sincerely,

Matt
Committed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Getting an electric to go 40-50mph is going to be pretty tough. That's really fast and you'd never see one going that fast at a track, especially since if it were geared to go that fast, it wouldn't have any low end punch. If you want to go thatg fast, you're going to have to set something up special. Also, you're only chance is to go for a low turn motor, which a super power hungry and high maintenance. They are hard on brushes and commsn not to mention that they go through batteries super fast. Since you want to go with a low turn, therre are only a few ESCs that can handle it and even less (if any) that have reverse. The high end ESCs are for racing and reverse isn't legal. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Maybe there's room for a brushless system?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Default the bubble sometimes needs to be busted

Hey thank you for your advice. I am fairly new to this, but I still understand power drain. It only makes since that the more turns you have in a motor the more power it would require. I'm not in it for racing... yet, I just want something to compete with my brothers Nitro. Right now I have a cheap DuraTrax Blast ESC, and a 20 Turn motor. What I am wondering is how much of a difference would a 12 t or 10 t have compared to that? Also what is the difference between a single and double motor?

One more thing.. why is reverse illegal in racing? Is it becuase it acts as a brake?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

A 10T will flat out smoke a 20 Turn motor.

You may want to look into getting an Orion Revolution motor. These motors last a lot longer than the current crop of modified motors out there. So for what you are doing, it should work really great.

As for an ESC, if you don't need reverse, the LRP Quantum 2 works really well. Or, you can look into getting a GM V8 or higher series.

I have the V8 and it can take any motor and really is a nice ESC.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Default Reverse

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I would really like reverse.. any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Default single and double wind

Would someone explain that to me? What is the difference between single and double wind? And if one is the better, then why do they both cost the same?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

single=more punch, double= balanced, Triple=more top in
Correct me if im wrong please
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #9
Tech Elite

The 10t versus 20t is like night and day. Its not just about battery consumption, with that low, the comm and brushes will get worn quick. You'll have to rebuild a lot. Also, even with them, compaired to Nitro its still going to be hard to keep up. On a track is one thing, but flat out, especially against something like an 1/8 scale buggy will be close to impossible. The nitro will (most do) have a 2 speed tranny. It would also be a shame to spend all the money on a expensive ESC that you can't race. Also, if you run a Schottsky diode to keep voltage spikes down on the motor, it will blow if you put the motor in reverse. My 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Single, double, etc. is the amount of wires wrapped. The turn is the numer of times the wire(s) is wrapped around the armature. Less wires, more torque at the price of smoothness. When accelerating, the lower number of wires will be more Jumpy. This is of course a basic generalization.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Also, machine wound vs. hand wound, how you peak your batteries and what kind they are, gearing, etc. will affect speed.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Default speed

So how fast do you think a 10T motor can go, if it was done right. Not rigged as some kind of NASA experiment, just set up normal.

My brothers Nitro for the moment is single speed. I just want to waste him on the open for a few minutes. We don't have an open enough road for him to really get going, so if I can just take him at the line, which I think I already can with a 20T, then all I want is to hold the lead for a little before we need to brake and make a turn.

Speaking of how fast, my 20t seems pretty fast already. I have tried running as hard as I can after it, and it gets away as if I was walking. I can run 2 miles in 7min 42secs so I know it has to be moving.

Is there some sight that has like a chart or something of the norm speeds for motors?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:40 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

it all depends man. Bearings, How motor is etc etc etc
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #14
Tech Elite

There's no charts for speed because there are just too many variables. Sorry. What car does your brother drive? Also what motor is your 20t. There are big differences in 20ts.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

8 turn single