R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)

Maybe if you people bought direct thru SMC in stead of some foreign roadside hobby shack, he could stand behind his product which has better quality control than the roadside guy!!! Who knows what inside the roadside cases you're buying. They could be putting SMC stickers on recycled crap!!! JMO!
Andy Koback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #32
LMB
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
Maybe if you people bought direct thru SMC in stead of some foreign roadside hobby shack, he could stand behind his product which has better quality control than the roadside guy!!! Who knows what inside the roadside cases you're buying. They could be putting SMC stickers on recycled crap!!! JMO!
It doesn't matter where you buy smc batts from, chances are they will all puff I have bought them from my lhs and online in the usa and they puffed. Out of 4 batteries 3 of mine have puffed.
LMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #33
Tech Apprentice

Purchased 3 smc 5000 28c from Nexus, all 3 had faulty circuits. I had to send them to smc for substitution. The new ones did not last long, they swelled like inflating balloons! I will never buy again smc products!!!!
ropezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #34
Tech Adept

SMC lipos suck ass. Even their website is out of date. I have been using IP lipo's and they are great.
JIM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

who buys SMC junk today anyways?

Rcmarket is one of the best r/c hobby shops
on the internet hands down.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
who buys SMC junk today anyways?

Rcmarket is one of the best r/c hobby shops
on the internet hands down.
Thankyou !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Looks like this getting out of hand. SMC batteries do not suck. They stand behind their product just like all companies. I have ran there batteries for years and had failures but I think hey it's a battery and you can't rely on it to be perfect all the time. Just cause the swell doesn't mean anything bad. My 50c SMC swell and haven't had an issue. I have returned mine with no questions ask. And if it wasn't under warranty I got a he'll of a deal. All it takes is a phone and being proffesional and kind to the person on the phone and I gaurantee you get results. Don't come here on this forum and bash companies with really not trying to solve it. You probably tried once and didn't get an answer. Oh forgot to mention 99 percent of the batteries for rc come from Asia.
Tekin
KO Propo
jhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhock View Post
Looks like this getting out of hand. SMC batteries do not suck. They stand behind their product just like all companies. I have ran there batteries for years and had failures but I think hey it's a battery and you can't rely on it to be perfect all the time. Just cause the swell doesn't mean anything bad. My 50c SMC swell and haven't had an issue. I have returned mine with no questions ask. And if it wasn't under warranty I got a he'll of a deal. All it takes is a phone and being proffesional and kind to the person on the phone and I gaurantee you get results. Don't come here on this forum and bash companies with really not trying to solve it. You probably tried once and didn't get an answer. Oh forgot to mention 99 percent of the batteries for rc come from Asia.
If SMC stood by their products there wouldnt be a thread here about how they dont stand by their product. I contacted Danny numerous times to no avail.

Im not bashing RC Market either, i have bought stuff off them in the past and they are one of the best for service and price. I decided the best thing to do was go straight to the email address on the instructions that came with the pack. the same instructions that stated a 3 month warranty
junn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #39
bl4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone here try this Team SILVERBACK Lipo Battery 7.4v 6200mah 50C before?
bl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhock View Post
SMC batteries do not suck.
To me there looks like lots of issues with either

A) Genuine SMC batteries,

or

B) Fake branded SMC batteries.

Either of which is not good for the SMC name

I would like to think that SMC could come on to the forum and tell us that the faulty packs they have had returned for inspection are indeed fakes, but who knows.

It's just a shame to see that SMC has been shown to look bad and racers robbed of the chance to have a good lipo.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The biggest issue I'm seeing here, are mainly SMC packs sold outside the USA, thus are never even seen by SMC here in the US. The problem appears to be primarily quality control. (Minus the incident with the open package... that'd be a Hobby Shop issue IMO.)

I have 2 SMC 4000 28c packs that still work great, almost 3 years later. I am not lacking punch with the batteries compared to the newer ones.

However, this thread, makes me have second thoughts on buying additional SMC batteries. Are the newer ones still reliable, etc. enter my head a lot. In many ways it reminds me of the old 4200 IB's that were DOA in many cases.

I like my current SMC packs, but I do question if they are now as reliable as they were 2 years ago.

Paul
Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4 View Post
Anyone here try this Team SILVERBACK Lipo Battery 7.4v 6200mah 50C before?
i chose orion over silverback a week ago, mainly the reason is because the silverback has similar casing with SMC batteries, i do not know and i do not confirm that they are from the same factory

but for precaution, i chose orion lipos as they are proven reliable

so do share with us here or a separate thread if any of you have tried the silverback battery.

thanks
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I guess SMC Lipo is not their thing LOL.... but they the best SUB C Cell back in the day.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote