R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #31
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I got some advice from Big Jim who I believe used to be a big battery guy as well as motor guy at trinity.

From what I understand, when you leave the cells with charge on them, you will lose run time. I noticed this with my two Promatch packs. They were unmatched, but still were GP3300s and had gone through there weeding out process. At first they put out about 3500mah each. They got all the way down to 2400mah each.

After using my Octane 2 discharge board and leaving them on till the lights went out, they have gone back up to 2900mah - 3100mah. Voltage still felt off so I went ahead yesterday and dead shorted them.

All I can say is WOW, that made a big difference. the pack I ran for my main had as much power as the matched packs everyone else was using and the cells all came down at the same time like a matched pack. when I get the chance, I am going to do this with all my GPs and see how it goes.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:48 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe B
Hey Gary from surge ,Don't take this the wrong way but,(aren't you guys one of the many new matcher's on the scene).....To point blank say, never to take GP3300's to zero volts....Im assuming you dont think the deadshorting of these cells should "ever" be done under any circumstance ...(since they must first be brought down to zero volts) It sounds a little funny that plenty of the top national drivers do just that very thing with their GP 3300's with great results....mabe you could let the guys over at (SMC) (you know, "the big guys")know to change their updated recomendations for the charging of the GP3300's.....check out their website www.smc-racing.com .......the fact of the matter , is that there is no "one fits all" method to use for batterys whether were talking about charging amperage....discharge method....equalizing preference.....and storage methods.....the many variables and methods will yield different results that may be better for one type of racing over another...thats why people do it....try to keep an open mind
You're right, there is typically no one 'perfect' method of caring for Ni-MH batteries. Different companies have different opinions, that's for certain.. but I can tell you with absolute certainty that leaving your Ni-MH cells without a charge for a long period of time is a bad idea. That is not opinion, that is fact, and if anybody (including other matchers who support this idea) can give me a scientific reason of why a person should do such a thing, I'm be more then glad to listen and potentially change my position one this issue. As I stated in my earlier emails it is a proven fact that the anodes and the chemical metals that create them, deteroriate rapidly when left when no charge for an extended period of time with no charge. What does that mean to you if care to still do such a thing? Shorter life for your cells. In time, if this is repeated, the cells will loose a great percetage of their ability to store energy.

And no I don't believe in deadshorting. The cost/benefit of doing such a thing is not good.

A) You can severerly damage your cells, possibly not blow them up.
B) If they blow up it won't be pretty, and personal injury is likely.
C) The life of your cells will get greatly lessoned.
D) Even if you do suceed, like zapping, the benefit will wear off.

Last edited by ghuber; 04-08-2004 at 06:54 PM.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #33
Tech Regular

I highly reccomend the Rayspeed Tray, as do all of my teammates..... It is by far the best one I have ever seen/used! You wont even need this with it but, good luck anyway!
FriedDiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:08 PM   #34
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Discharger

Has anyone tried using an Integy Octane 2? Will it be good as a Rayspeed?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Where can I find the rayspeed? The only place I can find that even sells it, speedtechrc, is out of stock.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:08 AM   #36
Tech Addict

Where did you guys get your rayspeed dischargers?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:03 PM   #37
Tech Addict

I'm assuming that you didnt steal your's from other guys at your track
Old 04-09-2004, 11:08 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AE Racer
Where did you guys get your rayspeed dischargers?
I bought mine from the classifieds section on here. You can get them from speedtech though.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #39
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Rayspeed is the best we've used so far, quality and accuracy wise. Looking forward to compare it with Novak's.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default RAYSPEED DISCHARGERS

Billy Bowerman at Speedworld sells them too. That's where I picked mine up

www.speedworldraceway.com

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #41
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to copter Send a message via Yahoo to copter

A bit out of topic, but looks like people here are talking a bit from the same subject..

I have been using this previously mentioned Integy (Eagle) SP Saddle Relay Cut-off Discharger 5A for a while now, but I'm still a bit confused how I actually should use it. It came with japanese instruction manuals and because I don't have previous experience from equalizers, I just followed "steps" which are painted into the chassis of it.

After taking batteries out from my Xray, I have put them into tray, selected equalizing (step 1) from the switch and pressed the start-button. After it has finished, I have normally done this couple times more, just to be sure that all cells are in same state. After this I have changed it for conditioning (step 2). It takes quite short time with NiMH batteries (2-3 minutes I guess), so I have normally done this step 2-3 times. With Ni-Cd batteries it runs a lot longer, but I still have done it 2-3 times. After this I have put my batteries back into my case for waiting next week (local track is open only once a week) and charged them normally after a week.

So what I just wondered is that am I doing something badly wrong here?
copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007
Default specs on rayspeed discharger

I have this discharger but wanted to know exactly what voltage is the cut off for the equalizing mode and the conditioning mode in both nicad and nimh? Does the cut off voltage change between nicad and nimh in the equalizing mode and conditioning mode? My directions are lost somewhere.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:43 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

Nevermind........I found the specs....