Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Where to start? Please help >

Where to start? Please help

Where to start? Please help

Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Where to start? Please help

I currently run Nitro 1/8th scale off road, and I used to run electric 15-20 years ago, but never on-road. know a lot has changed with the introduction of brushless motors, and LiPo's.

Question is, what should I look for to get started?

I was thinking of the RCGT, but not sure what other classes out there.

Since I already have a ton of money into Nitro, I was hoping to not go overboard just yet. But then again, I said that for Nitro too!

Any suggestions, things to look for? Brushless or non-brushless. LiPo, LiFe, or NIMH? What kind of speed control? What types of servos?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I'm sure that you'll get all kinds of answers on this but I'll start here. For speed control, DEFINITELY get the Tekin RS. Some parameters are adjustable on the control itself, but the magic really happens through the hotwire computer interface. Whenever Tekin finds more speed, they send you the free upgraded software and off you go. Lots of servos out there, but most prefer the low profile versions: Futaba 9550/9551, KO 2413 and Orion has one also. Chassis or class will depend on what you want to do. Check your local track for that. TC is always our biggest class and WGT is alot of fun. Lipo has taken over and thankfully it is alot less maintenance than NiMh ever was. Good luck with your choices. Check with your local fast guys and they can help you with specific decisions.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default VTA - A good starting point

If you're just getting started in on-road from off-road, consider Vintage Trans-Am. There are a couple of VTA threads with a lot of info. Basically, it's a spec motor, tires and body, with limited ESCs and open 4WD chassis. Speeds are the lowest, but not slow. Tire grip is limited, so you'll focus on setup and driving rather than horsepower. And the cost of entry is probably the lowest of any on-road class. Almost everyone uses older "out-of-date" chassis, but VTA power is low enough that it's well withing the performance capabilities of old chassis like the TC3.

You definitely want brushless and lipo, because you'll have virtually no maintenance. It's a "for fun" class, so there's not a lot of cattiness and drama.

RCGT is similarly a spec class, but with open ESCs, for which you will need the aforementioned Tekin RS Pro ... and a laptop ... and an engineering degree. You will get smoked if you don't have one of those and get pretty good at setting it up. Up to you if you want to jump into that pool.

Biggest factor is what classes are raced in your area.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Big Daddy05
I currently run Nitro 1/8th scale off road, and I used to run electric 15-20 years ago, but never on-road. know a lot has changed with the introduction of brushless motors, and LiPo's.

Question is, what should I look for to get started?

I was thinking of the RCGT, but not sure what other classes out there.

Since I already have a ton of money into Nitro, I was hoping to not go overboard just yet. But then again, I said that for Nitro too!

Any suggestions, things to look for? Brushless or non-brushless. LiPo, LiFe, or NIMH? What kind of speed control? What types of servos?

Thanks!!!
Lets just save some server space and give you the advice that most of the time emerges from such topics. Start by going at your local club and have a look around. That'll point you in the right direction.

One thing is clear right now though. Brushed is dead, so is Nimh.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback!

I will be heading to my LHS this weekend to see what they are running, but I figured I could get a head start. Becuase just like when I started with Nitro, I got the idea of starting into a new class and I can't stop thinking about it.

It seems there are more classes in on-road

For ex: The upcoming race at my LHS wil feature

Classes: 1/12 scale, WGT, RCGT, F1, Foam Sedan, Rubber Sedan

unfortunately no VTA, that being said what is the difference between WGT and Rubber or Foam Sedan?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was in your same situation last year. Any decent chassis will do, just decide if you are ok with buying all parts over the Inet or like going to a store. I chose the Inet route and run a 8 year old TC in 17.5 and believe me, the car is not the slow part of the equation

I made life simple and gave myself the most options until I could decide on what TC class to run: Tekin RS and Redline motor combo with 2 good LiPo batteries, and a good charger. I 'borrowed' an older HiTec 625MG servo from my XXX-T and it works great onroad. Also, the Tekin speedo is not as hard to get setup as some say. Start with a good basic setup - available on a thread in the forum, or ask Tekin support directly. Tekin users (well, most of them) are really helpful. Ok, ok, so you do need a laptop to tweak it. To be honest, now that I have a good setup I just change gearing and don't bring the laptop to every race.

This setup has performed very well with NO crazy maintenance hassles. Strap in the batt and go have fun!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tekin RS is a very popular ESC. Very fast and good support here in the forum and directly with Tekin. You can upgrade the firmware in ESC these days and configure them with a computer as well - but they do have on board buttons for quick track side changes/checks if you don't want to drag a laptop to the track. Tekin has gone through about 4 firmware upgrades to improve the ESC over the past 2 years and the updates are free. Each upgrade has added new configurable features.

The manufacturers have started to release tire specific chassis, one for rubber tires (often referred to as the European version) and foam (often referred to as U.S. version). Rubber tire chassis have more flex, foam is stiffer.

Servo wise, the Futaba 9551 (current) / 9550 (predeccesor) is popular. You essentially want a low profile light weight servo.

LiPos battery - Check with your local track for any restrictions.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Daddy05
Classes: 1/12 scale, WGT, RCGT, F1, Foam Sedan, Rubber Sedan

unfortunately no VTA, that being said what is the difference between WGT and Rubber or Foam Sedan?
Different platforms............ 1/12, WGT, and F1 will be pan car rear wheel drive on foams tires (most likely). RCGT, Foam sedan, and Rubber sedan on 4WD TC chassis.