R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 983
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default lrp X12 17.5 and spx questions about timing and "Warning" from lrp

I have a lrp spx and a x12 SS 17.5. In the lrp x12 manual it says....DO NOT use advanced timing speed control profiles with the x12 stock spec motors. It says to NOT use profiles 7-8 on the spx as their testing found NO advantage in the performance and it only made the motor run hotter. WTF
Anyone who has this setup can chime in on this please. Locals at the track are saying to run profile 7-8 but none of them run a x12 motor.
Any help is great Thanks
see the pic below.....turn your head to read the warning section

Last edited by fat500; 07-22-2010 at 04:06 PM.
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Tread1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NE OHIO
Posts: 355
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
I have a lrp spx and a x12 SS 17.5. In the lrp x12 manual it says....DO NOT use advanced timing speed control profiles with the x12 stock spec motors. It says to NOT use profiles 7-8 on the spx as their testing found NO advantage in the performance and it only made the motor run hotter. WTF
Anyone who has this setup can chime in on this please. Locals at the track are saying to run profile 7-8 but none of them run a x12 motor.
Any help is great Thanks
see the pic below.....turn your head to read the warning section
Seeing as they make the motor and the speedo and have tested the combo I think I would follow their directions more than "the guys at the track"
Tread1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 124
Default

well i was shocked when i read this and so had to test it becasue i hate profile 6 it doesnt seem to have any boost.

i ran profile 6 and motor come off at 84C and was getting blown away by the tekin

i ran profile 7 it was very quick still getting closed down but very competitve even Tq'd the round. HOWEVER was disspaotined the motro come off at 105C

so i bought some fans and brought it down to 87C and ran for the rest of the day on that becasue i really needed that speed in profile 7.

now i have a weekend off racing we will do some test and try to find a better sweet spot in the profie 6 range and try get the temps down without fans if it aint posisle this motor is going.
Burney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
RKeasler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Posts: 810
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

You can run it that way but the motor has extremely high timing built in, which is why they don't recommend advanced timing from the speedo. It also reportedly runs well up to 200 degrees or better (thats in the instructions), but the fans are fine to help keep it cool. Really good motor but I sold mine because I bought a Tekin.

Rod
__________________
ClemsonTigers
USVTA # 224
ERC
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

So would it be safe to use the boost and turbo setting that are on the tekin esc on the lrp x12 17.5?
HoboShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
BLUE 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Talking

Hi

I have been testing this setup & i run on profile 8 with factory timing on the motor & it comes off at 65 - 75 deg C , im running a rollout of about 34mm in my HB Cyclone .

It's fast & i was only a second off my mates tekin lap times in practice at the track i was running , so with a bit more fine tuning with rollouts & a fan i think it could do ok .

See ya
__________________
Cars Offroad : TLR 22B - TLR 22B 2.0 - TLR 22T - TLR 22SCT - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0
Cars Onroad : HB Cyclone TC - TRF 416X - Tamiya TA05 - Serpent s411 eryx 2.0
BLUE 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,284
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burney View Post
well i was shocked when i read this and so had to test it becasue i hate profile 6 it doesnt seem to have any boost.

i ran profile 6 and motor come off at 84C and was getting blown away by the tekin

i ran profile 7 it was very quick still getting closed down but very competitve even Tq'd the round. HOWEVER was disspaotined the motro come off at 105C

so i bought some fans and brought it down to 87C and ran for the rest of the day on that becasue i really needed that speed in profile 7.

now i have a weekend off racing we will do some test and try to find a better sweet spot in the profie 6 range and try get the temps down without fans if it aint posisle this motor is going.
Ricky,
Like I said, try it with the timing retarded... that'll help the bottom end grunt, and cool the motor on 7...

Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | MuchMore |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 124
Default

will do mate hopefully maritime is open on saturday so i can have a play i wasnt up for throwing away anymore heats trying stuff on sunday i was dropping down the qualifying rapidly had to go for the hot option lol.
Burney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
AdminD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
I have a lrp spx and a x12 SS 17.5. In the lrp x12 manual it says....DO NOT use advanced timing speed control profiles with the x12 stock spec motors. It says to NOT use profiles 7-8 on the spx as their testing found NO advantage in the performance and it only made the motor run hotter. WTF
Anyone who has this setup can chime in on this please. Locals at the track are saying to run profile 7-8 but none of them run a x12 motor.
Any help is great Thanks
see the pic below.....turn your head to read the warning section
That's actually incorrect,
This Stock Spec USER GUIDE warning notes is supposed for
10.5 and 9.5 where there actually is a MOD Motors.
it's that technical data 10.5 and 9.5 is included, was incorrect.
10.5 equal to 21Turn is Super Stock not Stock.
they might miss typed.

so 13.5 or higher than that 7-8 profiles works.
__________________
Sliders
AdminD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 983
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

well i called lrp and they confirmed it. They said NO to 13.5 and 17.5 as well. They also said the motor gearing chart that comes with the x12 is wrong and they are putting a updated one in all the new motors. 4.0 for tc 17.5 is way too low they said. start at 5.8 and work from there. they said the motors sweet spot is in the high 5 range with profile 6 on the spx.
I will test and report back
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
Chaz955i's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,021
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Hi does anyone know if the warning applies to profiles 7 & 8 on the Sphere? I'm not sure if those profiles have an equivelent profiles on the newer LRP speedos like the SPX. I think I've read that the higher throttle profiles on the sphere have some timing but not near as much as the SPX.

Thanks
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Tech Master
 
chicky03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,993
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Hi does anyone know if the warning applies to profiles 7 & 8 on the Sphere? I'm not sure if those profiles have an equivelent profiles on the newer LRP speedos like the SPX. I think I've read that the higher throttle profiles on the sphere have some timing but not near as much as the SPX.

Thanks
7 and 8 on the Sphere are similar to 6 on the SPX so you'll be fine with 8 on the Sphere.

Paul
__________________
Serpent America, Picco, Desoto Racing, Motiv, J Concepts, Nitro Pro fuel, PT RC Racing Oils, TQ Wire(best wire ever!), BSR tires, Arrowmax, Xceed, Sanwa, Amain Hobbies, MIP, Getcustomized, EZ Customs
chicky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboShop View Post
So would it be safe to use the boost and turbo setting that are on the tekin esc on the lrp x12 17.5?
Can somebody please answer this question for me.
HoboShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic
 
RKeasler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Posts: 810
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboShop View Post
Can somebody please answer this question for me.
If set very low yeah, if you are willing to take a chance on smoking it yeah, but since the settings on the Tekin can be far more aggressive than the SPX on anything, you can very easily be one motor short. Hope that helps.

Rod
__________________
ClemsonTigers
USVTA # 224
ERC
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
Chaz955i's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,021
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
7 and 8 on the Sphere are similar to 6 on the SPX so you'll be fine with 8 on the Sphere.

Paul
Thanks Paul. Good luck this weekend!!
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net