R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeasler View Post
If set very low yeah, if you are willing to take a chance on smoking it yeah, but since the settings on the Tekin can be far more aggressive than the SPX on anything, you can very easily be one motor short. Hope that helps.

Rod
Yeah and if your running V203 you may not get what you want out of this motor. With the Tekin you want the ESC to control the amount of timing. So running very low to no timing on the ESC won't yield as good of a result....I don't think. Although I haven't tried it myself...but I'm curious...but don't have $90 to blow up I was very interested in this motor until I saw this thread.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
Tech Adept

i just started running the X12 10.5t with Tekin 203 and settings that are working for me are:

timing insert: 2dot
gear: 7.7
timing boost: 45
start rpm: 5443
end rpm: 20016
turbo boost: 15
delay: 0.1
ramp: 2.0

motor runs around 80C and is a weapon, fastest thing on the track. On the SPX with profile 7 could never get temps below 100C, fried one motor, then read the warning
gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover View Post
i just started running the X12 10.5t with Tekin 203 and settings that are working for me are:

timing insert: 2dot
gear: 7.7
timing boost: 45
start rpm: 5443
end rpm: 20016
turbo boost: 15
delay: 0.1
ramp: 2.0

motor runs around 80C and is a weapon, fastest thing on the track. On the SPX with profile 7 could never get temps below 100C, fried one motor, then read the warning

Good to know! That's still a lot of timing in the ESC.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Good to know! That's still a lot of timing in the ESC.
yes but its only 3* per 1000 rpm that its feeding in, rather than dumping in the 45* in a few 000 rpm

stuff for sale associated 12r5 $175, team magic 1/10 pit bag $40, top racing pit bag $30, KO helios with spektrum module and 3 receivers $200, CEN CT5 $100 all are plus post
dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I did a lot of testing in my Cyclone TC last week with the SPX / X-12 17.5 combo. I only played around with the standard motor timing insert, but plan on trying the 4 dot this week (with profile 7 and 8). I tried profile 6 and 7 with various FDR's as well as even tried profile 8 for one quick run. The best performance I saw was with profile 7, FDR = 5.86. The motor came off at about 170-180F after a 5-6 minute run. I also noticed that I had to turn down my drag brake a lot from what I had set for my old Novak SS. For me, the X-12 has a lot more braking feel to it.

Now to my question, the car was VERY fast for the first few laps and then got noticably slower for the last 4 minutes or so. These "timing on the fly" ESC's are still a bit of a mystery to me. Is this caused by the battery (Orion 3800 30C) not being able to keep up and the ESC reducing the timing ? Or, would removing timing from the motor (4 dot) and allowing the ESC (profile 8) to take up the slack improve this issue ? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inconceivable View Post
I did a lot of testing in my Cyclone TC last week with the SPX / X-12 17.5 combo. I only played around with the standard motor timing insert, but plan on trying the 4 dot this week (with profile 7 and 8). I tried profile 6 and 7 with various FDR's as well as even tried profile 8 for one quick run. The best performance I saw was with profile 7, FDR = 5.86. The motor came off at about 170-180F after a 5-6 minute run. I also noticed that I had to turn down my drag brake a lot from what I had set for my old Novak SS. For me, the X-12 has a lot more braking feel to it.

Now to my question, the car was VERY fast for the first few laps and then got noticably slower for the last 4 minutes or so. These "timing on the fly" ESC's are still a bit of a mystery to me. Is this caused by the battery (Orion 3800 30C) not being able to keep up and the ESC reducing the timing ? Or, would removing timing from the motor (4 dot) and allowing the ESC (profile 8) to take up the slack improve this issue ? Thanks.
Before I took my SPX out I talked to a few people from Assoc/LRP and they said basically if you run that motor on profile 7, not to mention 8 you will burn the motor up no matter what insert you put in.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hi guys just wondered if anyone has tried this motor with the hobbywing 120A V2.1 in a xray T3 if so can they recomend settings? I ran this with a 22t pinion and 78t spur (FDR 5.87) and the motor was very hot am I able to run this with the turbo enabled or should I disable it and run with the motor timing insert?