R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Ball differential VS Gear differerential (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/375910-ball-differential-vs-gear-differerential.html)

jiewei1987 03-02-2010 12:02 AM

Ball differential VS Gear differerential

Anybody used ball differential b4? Wat are the noticeable differerences? is ball one lighter? but i heard tat tiny sand can get into the ball bearings of the ball differential. . .

P.I.M.P 03-02-2010 12:11 AM

Hi Im a fan of the gear diff after using one in a serpent s400 it had a great feel to the car the only thing is there got more mass then a ball diff and the gear diff is harder on belts but if I could get a gear diff for my t3 I would

WheelNut 03-02-2010 11:02 AM

If you are driving in dirty parking lots use your gear diff, or if you aren't racing at all use the gear diff. If you are racing the ball should be lighter and smoother. On a race track you shouldn't have to worry to much about dirt getting into the diff, since it should be clean.

JR007 03-02-2010 11:15 AM

Ball diffs are the only choice for on-road racing. You are right, gunk does get into them, so you need to strip them periodically and rebuild them.
Gear diffs are just heavy, and usually not adjustable. The ball diff can be finely adjusted.

akura2 03-02-2010 02:27 PM

The only thing I like about gear diffs is that you get instantaneous power to the ground... ball diffs may have a tad bit of slip to them in a high-powered application... I saw a video of a comparison test between 4WD buggies... one with a ball diff and one with a gear diff.... both set p pretty identically, and both running off the same transmitter... the gear diffed buggy was noticeably quicker off the line, and would even wheelie on occasion....

I like the instant adjustability of the ball diff, whereas a gear diff has to be adjusted by using different weights of diff grease... and it's not an exact science

jiewei1987 03-03-2010 03:25 AM

wow.. seems like u guys know alot abt differentials... one thing i still curious.. when the ball differentials are adjust, will the adjustments come loose after sometime?

niznai 03-03-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by akura2 (Post 7081173)
The only thing I like about gear diffs is that you get instantaneous power to the ground... ball diffs may have a tad bit of slip to them in a high-powered application... I saw a video of a comparison test between 4WD buggies... one with a ball diff and one with a gear diff.... both set p pretty identically, and both running off the same transmitter... the gear diffed buggy was noticeably quicker off the line, and would even wheelie on occasion....

I like the instant adjustability of the ball diff, whereas a gear diff has to be adjusted by using different weights of diff grease... and it's not an exact science

I think you're referring to the Durango vs something else that eludes me right now. If I remember correctly however that was a test run on an offroad track where grip will determine which car is quick and which is not. I would like to see that test run on a high grip on road surface. A balldiff can be tightened until it behaves like a spool if you really wanted albeit it will increase understeer. Gear diffs will suffer the same effect as you increase the oil viscosity.

Originally Posted by jiewei1987 (Post 7084065)
[...]
when the ball differentials are adjust, will the adjustments come loose after sometime?

Not if you're building them correctly. They do wear out and then they will undoubtedly be out of adjustment, but you can readjust as needed without rebuilding.

Originally Posted by JR007 (Post 7080358)
Ball diffs are the only choice for on-road racing. You are right, gunk does get into them, so you need to strip them periodically and rebuild them.
Gear diffs are just heavy, and usually not adjustable. The ball diff can be finely adjusted.

If you use some good diff covers you can avoid completely the issue of dirt getting in.

That leaves the main advantages of the balldiff which are adjustability, accesibility and lightness.

That being said, you need to rebuild your diffs because they wear out but I would imagine gear diffs need some maintenance too. Ceramic balls and good diff plates can go a long way towards spacing out the maintenance intervals on a balldiff.

Rozzer 03-04-2010 09:19 AM

If you use a ball diff and it slips when you put down the power, it needs tightening. Ball diffs give you far more control over your car's setup

RC MARKET 03-04-2010 12:40 PM

Hk many driver & user used 2 years ago,
Cyclone , T2,008/9 , T3 , BD5 TRF416 ... all changed ,
TOP final test now !

used gear diff off power can support more turn & on power more punch !
don't need keep rebuild , test silicone oil only !

RC MARKET 03-04-2010 12:42 PM

but if on power over rear side will had some spin !

Faiz 03-05-2010 12:03 AM

I prefer gear diff for its predictability.. smooth throttle needed all the way,,

RC MARKET 03-05-2010 01:27 AM

easy to make !

Dragonfire 03-05-2010 03:44 AM

If you can use a gear diff on your chassis I believe you are mad not to. Yes they weigh a bit more but they are consistent and smooth at all times. A more serious racer could have two or three units ready to run at all times with different settings for the ultimate in performance.

William "Q" 04-18-2010 08:53 PM

I had a Losi XXX BK2 and 4wd Kyosho Lazer I loved both cars but the ball diff rebuilding I hated due to the lack of getting them right every time. As soon as I found out AE had the B4.1 I sold both the BK2 and Lazer. The gear diffs to me are a God send. Gear diffs are easy to maintain and to me more reliable. I want to buy a 4wd electric buggy with gear diffs but it seems Durango is taking forever to release their cheaper version of the 2, electric 4wd buggys. I'm hopeing AE will make a B44.1 since they did the B4.1 and T4.1. Does anyone know when Durango is going to release their buggys?

razzor 04-19-2010 07:29 AM

Having seen how much hassles guys have with ball diffs in the mod class and plenty of DNF's the gear diff is and would be a welcome alternative.
Local Serpent distributor finally got some gear diffs and its night and day for reliability and ease of or lack of maintenance needed for it.
Hoping he gets some more soon so i can make it fit my TOP.

DettaSCT 04-19-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jiewei1987 (Post 7078203)
Anybody used ball differential b4? Wat are the noticeable differerences? is ball one lighter? but i heard tat tiny sand can get into the ball bearings of the ball differential. . .

not sure why this thread is even in the "On-Road" section, or why so many of the responses are relative to their on-dirt experiences. :sneaky:

mac853 04-19-2010 07:55 PM

I wonder also to having a gear diff, but unfortunately there's no for Cyclone.
Could anybody tell me how could create 1 when it doesn't exist genuinely in the chassis?

Best regards

Manny 04-19-2010 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by mac853 (Post 7294031)
Could anybody tell me how could create 1 when it doesn't exist genuinely in the chassis?

Best regards

I believe someone on the forum once used a gear differential from an RS4 Nitro. Its got the right size 39 tooth pulley; just requires some shimming.

RockyMania 04-19-2010 11:36 PM

Best regards

great question, would like to know as well!:D:D:D
Anybody?

trickd122 04-20-2010 09:42 AM

Best regards

A company called SPEC-R has a gear diff for the 416 won't that fit?

cheROK1212 04-20-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by trickd122 (Post 7296314)

Search gear diff in the T3 thread. RC Market, I believe, gave a step by step and a parts listing.

mac853 04-20-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Manny (Post 7294304)
I believe someone on the forum once used a gear differential from an RS4 Nitro. Its got the right size 39 tooth pulley; just requires some shimming.

Originally Posted by RockyMania (Post 7294808)
great question, would like to know as well!:D:D:D
Anybody?

In fact i saw that picture of "Marcos J" use rs4 nitro with 4 thicky spacers.http://www.rctech.net/forum/6174329-post17126.html
But that of "RCmarket" are fit, but not sure what diff is that.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/4528835-post12621.html

Originally Posted by trickd122 (Post 7296314)

Not, 416 use 37T pulley, how could fit Cyclone which use 39T?

RC MARKET 04-20-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mac853 (Post 7296461)
In fact i saw that picture of "Marcos J" use rs4 nitro with 4 thicky spacers.http://www.rctech.net/forum/6174329-post17126.html
But that of "RCmarket" are fit, but not sure what diff is that.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/4528835-post12621.html

Not, 416 use 37T pulley, how could fit Cyclone which use 39T?

416 & Cyclone same can use NT-1 gear diff !

or8ital 04-20-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by P.I.M.P (Post 7078230)
Hi Im a fan of the gear diff after using one in a serpent s400 it had a great feel to the car the only thing is there got more mass then a ball diff and the gear diff is harder on belts but if I could get a gear diff for my t3 I would

Soon you can:

http://www.redrc.net/2010/04/spec-r-...416-gear-diff/

tc3jp 04-20-2010 01:22 PM

Ok this thread is already talking about diffs., gears etc.
I have always run diffs. front and rear.I just bought a car with spool up front.
What the heck is a spool?I have an idea but not 100% sure.
I have always driven with the diffs.
What can I expect as far as the way the car is going to handle.
Am I gonna need to change my driving style?
I have aT-2 009 rubber car 10.5 brushless.
Smallish track..

regards cheers and all that rot jimmy.p.

mac853 04-21-2010 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by RC MARKET (Post 7296515)
416 & Cyclone same can use NT-1 gear diff !

Same 1 on both cars?:weird:
But 2 cars are using different number of teeth of diff pulleys?:confused:
If really is, how many teeth exist in pulley of NT1, could someone answer me, please?
Then which diffs, i guess should be rear 1, isn't it?

Best regards

Johnny Wishbone 04-21-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mac853 (Post 7300239)
Same 1 on both cars?:weird:
But 2 cars are using different number of teeth of diff pulleys?:confused:
If really is, how many teeth exist in pulley of NT1, could someone answer me, please?
Then which diffs, i guess should be rear 1, isn't it?

Best regards

NT1 stock is 40 (or 41, in any matter its too big) teeth. You have to machine the outer gear off the NT1 and then adapt a stock diff gear to attach to the inner NT1 assembly.

mac853 04-21-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone (Post 7300944)
NT1 stock is 40 (or 41, in any matter its too big) teeth. You have to machine the outer gear off the NT1 and then adapt a stock diff gear to attach to the inner NT1 assembly.

What?:mad:
Machinizing by myself, not everyone can do that!:(

Then how about of that 1 of HPI RS4 nitro, has it got 39T pulley?

Best regards

razzor 04-21-2010 09:24 AM

I believe the new Team Magic G4RS has small front diffs with a 33t pulley or there abouts.
The Serpent gear diff is perfect though only downside is you cant find any.

Johnny Wishbone 04-21-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by mac853 (Post 7301017)
What?:mad:
Machinizing by myself, not everyone can do that!:(

Then how about of that 1 of HPI RS4 nitro, has it got 39T pulley?

Best regards

I did mine on a drill press with a exacto knife, just be very, very careful.

Hatebreed 04-22-2010 02:37 AM

so if i get this right you can use the xray nt1 diff, of what i can see the Front diff, and you can use a 416 pulley if you make the center hole larger?

i`m looking for a gear diff because the track i`m racing on is quite dusty and i really hate rebuilding diffs!

havent seen that spec-r gear diff anywhere and the xray has a quite good price so if i can use that with little modification i`m sold

Johnny Wishbone 04-22-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hatebreed (Post 7304567)
so if i get this right you can use the xray nt1 diff, of what i can see the Front diff, and you can use a 416 pulley if you make the center hole larger?

i`m looking for a gear diff because the track i`m racing on is quite dusty and i really hate rebuilding diffs!

havent seen that spec-r gear diff anywhere and the xray has a quite good price so if i can use that with little modification i`m sold

Its the rear diff from the NT1, and you have to take out most of the center section out of the gear, leaving just enough so that you can screw secure the gear to the center section.

Hatebreed 04-22-2010 01:17 PM

so i need to dremel the std pulley that are moulded in the cover away?

looks like its moulded into the case from what i can see

looks like alot of work that takes more than i dremel, or am i wrong?

if you have any pics of your diff please post them here