R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #121
Tech Addict

Here's a cut&paste info from Novak website about the discharger:::

The Smart Tray Discharger is the ultimate battery maintenance equalizing system. The key to its simple yet accurate performance is its Individual Cell Monitoring Circuitry (ICM), which provides the highest degree of care and accuracy for all batteries, including Novak's new Orange Power GP3300VE cells.

The Smart Tray features a digital microprocessor-controlled battery discharge circuit that utilizes ICM Circuitry. This Novak-exclusive Individual Cell Monitoring circuitry accurately discharges and monitors each individual cellís voltage, and has an LED at each cell that indicates its discharge status. A user-programmable cut-off voltage is constantly displayed on a large easy-to-read 2-digit LED. Once the cut-off voltage of the individual cell is reached, the Smart Tray automatically stops discharging that cell, eliminating the need to monitor the pack. One by one each cell is discharged, indicated by its LED going out. When all the LEDs are out, the pack is discharged and equalized.

With each cell receiving individual care and attention, you'll never have to worry about damaging your batteries because you've left them in the discharge tray too long. Because the Smart Tray stops discharging once the cut-off voltage is reached, your cells can stay in the tray without getting damaged. Simply set it, and forget it. A large heatsink provides ample cooling for discharge components, while a lexan cover protects the electronics.

Henry E.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:04 PM   #122
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The Smart Tray has a "Dead Short" mode which does the same thing as the deep discharge trays... to enter the dead short mode remove the power supply from the tray, press the button and then while holding the button down, reapply power to the unit. Next, release the button and the display should read "ds"... signifiying that you are now in dead short mode..

Now when you place your pack in the tray and press the start button, it will continually discharge each cell... once the cells have gone below 0.1V the LED's will start to flash letting you know that the cells are for all intents and purposes discharged to zero... you can leave your cells in the tray as long as you would like.

DISCLAIMER: Novak Electronics does not recommend dead shorting or "deep discharging" your cells.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:26 PM   #123
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Thad Garner
Evicerator,

Beat IT!
Now, let's pour some salt into the wound!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif beat-it.gif (166.0 KB, 435 views)
Erik Shauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:30 PM   #124
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Hey Evicerator-why no dead shorting? I know this is a strong belief of Novak and its Orange Power cells-but I would like to know why, please.Thanks,
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #125
CGR
Tech Regular

It also works great for cleaning fish, just ask charlie
CGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #126
The Evicerator

Erik-- Thanks for the "video" of sorts... will you be getting the lemon and wire brush out for the next version?

Ray,

Because every time we've dead shorted batteries we see little(experimental error?) or no improvement in IR and average voltages and significant loss in run time.

To expound upon the experimental error that I touched upon above: I've seen just as many cells have LOWER voltage than have had higher voltage after being dead shorted...
Which leads me to believe that there is no significant voltage gained by dead shorting...

This being the case, the total power that the cells provide will be less due to the significant loss in run time that occurs every time you dead-short your cells. Also, this significant loss in run time will mean that the discharge voltage curve will not be as consistant over five minutes.

That, in a nut-shell, is our view
Old 06-15-2004, 02:15 PM   #127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Evicerator
Erik-- Thanks for the "video" of sorts... will you be getting the lemon and wire brush out for the next version?

Ray,

Because every time we've dead shorted batteries we see little(experimental error?) or no improvement in IR and average voltages and significant loss in run time.

To expound upon the experimental error that I touched upon above: I've seen just as many cells have LOWER voltage than have had higher voltage after being dead shorted...
Which leads me to believe that there is no significant voltage gained by dead shorting...

This being the case, the total power that the cells provide will be less due to the significant loss in run time that occurs every time you dead-short your cells. Also, this significant loss in run time will mean that the discharge voltage curve will not be as consistant over five minutes.

Applause!

Now the big question, ship any more units? My LHS is still waiting....
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:32 PM   #128
The Evicerator

We shipped out more packs last week I think?

Which means they should be getting to hobby shops soon...?
Old 06-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #129
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Evicerator

When is the new top-o-the line speedo coming out?

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #130
The Evicerator

The GT7 is already available at your LHS
Old 06-15-2004, 02:41 PM   #131
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
The GT7 is already available at your LHS
already have 2...
I heard rumors of a replacement or an update for the GT7's...

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:02 PM   #132
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Sank-u very, very much!!! I have some fresh sticks with only two runs on them and have NOT been Dead Shorted. I will cycle them in a month or two and see how they are compared to my last packs that were DS since NOvember. It should be very interesting.

Quote:
Ray,

rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #133
The Evicerator

Let me know what you think Ray.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:24 PM   #134
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Question. . . . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jeepnyy
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by lem2
I use Trinity to deep dischArge prior to deadshorting & Novak after the race to equalize. CE Turbo30 to dump the battery with 30 amps. I hope this help. I stand to be corrected if need be.
Thanks this does help me out alot. WHY does it says on the Smart tray-- equalizing DISCHARGER . Discharger here i come
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:40 AM   #135
Tech Apprentice

i already have a rayspeed discharge tray. does the novak tray offer any advantage or disadvantage over the rayspeed?

i heard that the rayspeed dischages at 5 amps, while the novak at 2.5 amps... wouldn't 5 amps be better than 2.5? just thought.
Mercury Racer is offline   Reply With Quote