Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Originally posted by ottoman
I love mine so far... I think the snap in type contact is a great idea, I always hated those screws on the other brands.
right about that; i love mine so far too..... now if i can just afford that DAMN Turbo 35
Old 06-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by jeepnyy
I prefer the thumb screw type, those snap type looks cheap & they will eventually not have the right amount of pressure(metal fatigue), whereas the screw type, you tighten as you need it. I think Novak just want to save a few cents here & there. But as a whole, it is a nice product (toy!) to have in your pit table. Digital readout always get the BLING factor to a higher level. Of course we racers LOVE it....the more BLING BLING the better (GFX, Keyence, etc...)!!!!!!!
hey i got the Keyence too; it's definitely got BLING BLING. I haven't put in my car yet but how do you like it. Going through the instructions and man this thing seems difficult to program. Being inexperienced as i am, this is giong to take some getting used to. You got any set-up sugg.'s

SORRY I VEERED AWAY FROM THE TOPIC
Old 06-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Addict

What class do you run.....stock, 19 , or mod ?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by jeepnyy
What class do you run.....stock, 19 , or mod ?
It's gonna be stock for right now; but DEFINITELY ALL THREE as soon as i get alot of track time.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The keyence can be confusing. Once you learn how it's super easy, it just takes a little time. I run the Same ESC and I love it. This thing is totally bullet proof (just dont run a power cap or a diode!!!!!). To tell you the truth, I forget to change my esc settings most of the time. I think I even run a stock setup with a 9 turn mod motor.

-Korey
Old 06-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Tech Regular

I dont run for novak but all i can say is that i wont put my packs on any other discharger ever again.

its the only controlled cutoff discharger meaning its perfect everytime.

adjustable cutoff and the ability to deadshort to 0.0 is the best of every world.

stays cool and works wonders for your packs.

i can say ive watched steve weiss use this tray now for about 4-8 months from prototype stage to production and all i can say is WOW the runtime he comes off with every time after a 5 min mod race is unbelieveable considering hes been running the same b atteries the whole time.

and trust me some of the packs he has ARE HURTING like been beat into the ground over and over again and they are still decent enough to race modified touring car with.

It is the best equalizing/conditioning tray for your batteries.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Evicerator,

Beat IT!
Attached Thumbnails Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger-steve.jpg  
Old 06-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Question. . . . .

I recently purchased the TRINITY Realtime 2.5 (2months ago)
I'm about to blow money again on a Novak Discharger, What's the difference between the 2? Beside the other one being digital? They both discharges at 2.5 amps right?

Sorry for this IGNORAMOUS question but, I'm new to discharhers, was just using the deans bulb discharger before I got the trinity.

It's either the NOVAK Discharger or a New BK2 (its rainy season here) and no Indoor On-Road Tracks.

Thanks!! Lem
Old 06-15-2004, 07:59 AM
The Evicerator

Andrew-- Thanks for the support... (I think )

Thad-- Thanks for ripping open a healing wound!

You better watch your 'taters!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm sold on this post!! I really like and use the Indi Octane 20 amp trays as my packs feel way punchier then before I started using them religeousely, but its built like a POS.

I am definately buying a Novak tray and will start comparing it to my Indi pair. The Indi try seems to kill runtime how I use it, but increase punch and lower IR. As I run stock-this isnt a big deal. I am hoping that I gain voltage, lower IR AND maintain runtime with this tray. Think it'll do that Steve?

Ray

Originally posted by Andrew Swanson
I dont run for novak but all i can say is that i wont put my packs on any other discharger ever again.

its the only controlled cutoff discharger meaning its perfect everytime.

adjustable cutoff and the ability to deadshort to 0.0 is the best of every world.

stays cool and works wonders for your packs.

i can say ive watched steve weiss use this tray now for about 4-8 months from prototype stage to production and all i can say is WOW the runtime he comes off with every time after a 5 min mod race is unbelieveable considering hes been running the same b atteries the whole time.

and trust me some of the packs he has ARE HURTING like been beat into the ground over and over again and they are still decent enough to race modified touring car with.

It is the best equalizing/conditioning tray for your batteries.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Kraig
My batteries are built backwards for the tray but I can still put it in, upside down and not have any problems with it making contact.
Ahh-good that was my first question about them.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally posted by Lonestar
this is equalizing stuff, not discharging stuff... you still need to dump your packs at high amps (30A is standard) and THEN you put them on the equalizing tray...

BTW, none of these trays (RS, Integy, ...) discharge at constant current... it's just resistors in there. Does the Novak dischrge at constant rate?

Paul
nobody ever bothered replying to the last question, I was hoping some novak tech would stop by... but since it's only resistors in there fom what I can read, I guess it's not constant amp draw. So the internals are probably very similar to the integy/Rayspeed dischargers, except for the adjustable cutoff. Your buddy goi8ng faster because he uses the Novak tray would probably go just as fast with any other good quality tray... actually he would probably kick our asses with some unmatched stick packs, because he's probably a great driver, and that's why he's got a novak sponsorship.

And once again... these are equalizing devices, not dischargers... you need both if you want to do things right. No 5*3*1 tray will ever be able to dissipate 200W (+-6V*30A)

As far as the screw/clips debate is concerned, sounds like both have their pros and cons. Screws get loose and lost, and clips break....

Later,
Paul
Old 06-15-2004, 09:10 AM
The Evicerator

Because the Smart Tray uses 0.47 Ohm Resistors, it's quite easy to calculate the current draw using Ohm's Law which is V = I*R, solving for I we then use:

I = V/R

Where I = Current, V= cell voltage, and R = resistance (0.47 ohm)

Simply plug in your known values and solve for I.

For example, with a fresh pack, the cells usually supply 1.3 V so...

I = 1.3/0.47 = 2.765 Amps

When the voltage of the cell drops, the current draw will drop as well... so when the Cell voltage reaches 0.9:

I = 0.9/0.47 = 1.914 Amps

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

evicerator

thanks. that's exactly what I meant : resistors =>variable current as voltage drops. I was wondering if it was transistor-based.

Thanks,

Later
Paul
Old 06-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Question. . . . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lem2
I recently purchased the TRINITY Realtime 2.5 (2months ago)
I'm about to blow money again on a Novak Discharger, What's the difference between the 2? Beside the other one being digital? They both discharges at 2.5 amps right?

Thanks!! Lem
[/QUOTE

I have realtime 2.5 & the new Novak Smart Tray. The major difference between the 2 is.....Novak monitors each individual cell. If you set cut-off at 0.90 per cell....once that 1 particular cell reaches the cut-off, it will stop. But the rest still continue to discharge the cells up until the cut-off. On the other side...Trinity does not have a pre-set cutoff. Hence,, it will continue to dischagre cells to 0.00 or until you take them off.

I use Trinity to deep discharge prior to deadshorting & Novak after the race to equalize. CE Turbo30 to dump the battery with 30 amps. I hope this help. I stand to be corrected if need be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.