R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Tired of these threads. This HOBBY is what you make of it.
+1 Million!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Our "sport" is fragile right now?

I think thats where this thread first went wrong.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

RC-ing is fragile if we are ALL employed in RC company and if it's a profession.
Recession, cost cutting, company downsizing and budget cuts will hurt us.

But it's not. RC is a personal thing I think. Majority of us are hobbyist. So
its a matter of "can you afford" this hobby or not? To the racing people, the
use of most advance RC techs are important. Some may think that it's
unfair. But that's the way it goes, tech is moving forward so adjust to it,
sell your old stuff to upgrade to keep up. Some are rich in cash that they
can have the latest and most advance techs but still loose against a
fairly equipped car with a good driver and skills. Some dont have enough
for upgrades that they make up for better driving skills.

People live and die like in this hobby... there are new comers and early
quitters. Some are reborn to re-live their RC experience.

I think there should be a real open class with the only restriction is the
scale. So EP can go against GP regardless of the tyres, esc, turbo, etc.
Like anything goes... twin motors, 6 wheels, solar powered, etc.
Ok Im crazy.

In F1, there's no tech advancement lately because of restrictions and
budget cuts.

In the end it's all about money. With money, you can do anything like
get the most serious techs to even bribe your competitors to let you
win.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
RC isn't in trouble. It's just people are getting tired of the BS over touring cars and "Spec" racing. At our club, Pro12 is taking off, as well as mini again, and now F1.
There IS life beyond 13.5 and 17.5 touring.....
At the track where I race 17.5 & 13.5 were the biggest classes. We started VTA last year and from what it looks most are returning to F1 and/or joining MOD all to avoid the stupid ESC arguments and discussions. We don't think there will be 17.5 or 13.5 class at all at our track. Just down to those 3 classes :VTA, F1 & MOD sedan.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

we have options as racers and race promoters....when "big" races limit what you can use in "stock" classes you will see companies put out "true" stock esc's....

case in point..VTA got completely away from the esc war cause it was killing the class as a whole....Novak stepped up to bring the class back to the roots and now its has a bright future...

also certain national races have started to eliminate the esc war with the no boost/turbo rules in VTA and 17.5 classes...which from personal experience is the best thing to happen to the lower classes...

VTA and 17.5 are the gateway to 13.5-mod sedan classes...if new drivers dont have a learning curve/stepping stone we all loose...and if races dont limit the esc's in these two classes you will see on-road slowly die...cause whats the point of a VTA car turning the same laps as 17.5...or worst...17.5(tekin 203) turn laps as open mod?....show me whats to learn....

we as racers and race directors need a cap on the lower classes to teach the new and returning racers that we have classes not based on $$$$$$$$
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

FIFO!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #22
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz406 View Post
I believe that there is truly not a great RTR onroad car kit that has these features to attract new racers. I think the car would need these qualities.

*Inexpensive brushed speedo. 15 turn silver can motor.

*lower priced metal gear servo included would be a good combo.

*Beefy/ durable front bumper and suspension

*limited suspension adjustments

*4 realistic body choices

*grippy spec tires on realistic rims

*$200.00 price point

We need these features and marketing by the tracks.

Now does such an RTR exsist?

Actually, yes!..sort of. But most have the word "DRIFT" in their name. HPI Sprint 2 Drift and E10, Tamiya TT-01 XB and the Losi Drift R would be great candidates.

"Drift" cars are easy to convert for racing by just a tire change. Also, like RCGT, they have alot of visual appeal to attract new and younger people.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Three identical threads, ALL on the front page. If you guys spent half as much time at the track that you spend moaning about doom and gloom, you would actually be DOING something about what you fear is happening.

Shut up and RACE

-rocky b
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspunout View Post
Three identical threads, ALL on the front page. If you guys spent half as much time at the track that you spend moaning about doom and gloom, you would actually be DOING something about what you fear is happening.

Shut up and RACE

-rocky b
Yes it's blunt, but it gets a +1 from me

One way we can make this hobby grow is by giving 5 or 10 minutes time each meeting to someone that needs help with their car.

Im talking about the intermediate or novice racers who may not even need any help, but simply approaching them and asking "hows the racing going?" keeps them in the mindset that they can talk to you and not feel intimidated by the faster guys.

Get to the track early and help with setting it up.

All these kinda things WILL get noticed by others around you.

(Im not saying some people don't do this already, but every little helps)

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #25
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspunout View Post

Shut up and RACE

-rocky b
Easy there tiger! I don't know about you but nighttime (which is when I usually post) is home time. Some people have a life outside of R/C.

But yes, we all should, to a certain extent, just "Shut up and RACE"!
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to S.Heath

One thing I see over and over in these threads is the idea that 'now I have to buy the latest speed control/motor/chassis to keep up'. That's the big lie in all of this. I'm running third in our local track's VTA class points this season with a used TA05 chassis, a used GTB, a used 21.5 motor powered by a used 3200 LIpo, charged by a used ICE charger. Most of the items I bought from racers that sold them so they could 'buy something better in order to go faster'. Racing is only expensive if you make it make it that way. I realized a long time ago that even if I had the best of everything equipment, I would still be in third place in the points right now. That is where my driving ability would have me placed even if I had spent another $1000. Whether most people want to admit it or not, if a national champion handed you all of his equipment to race with at your next race, if you were not already a top 5 racer, you probably still wouldn't be.
As I said, that's the big lie here... that you have to have what all the fast guys are running. Just say no!
S.Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Heath View Post
One thing I see over and over in these threads is the idea that 'now I have to buy the latest speed control/motor/chassis to keep up'. That's the big lie in all of this. I'm running third in our local track's VTA class points this season with a used TA05 chassis, a used GTB, a used 21.5 motor powered by a used 3200 LIpo, charged by a used ICE charger. Most of the items I bought from racers that sold them so they could 'buy something better in order to go faster'. Racing is only expensive if you make it make it that way. I realized a long time ago that even if I had the best of everything equipment, I would still be in third place in the points right now. That is where my driving ability would have me placed even if I had spent another $1000. Whether most people want to admit it or not, if a national champion handed you all of his equipment to race with at your next race, if you were not already a top 5 racer, you probably still wouldn't be.
As I said, that's the big lie here... that you have to have what all the fast guys are running. Just say no!
Well said. +1

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well another thread about how expensive R/C racing has gotten.When I first started racing(before most of you were born) 1979, it was expensive.You had two choices either 1/12th electric or 1/8th nitro. Even back then what you would spend on r/c you could actually spend on a go-kart and go racing.Yes times are hard now.If you really enjoy the hobby you'll race. It not the winning at the track- it's the friends I've met over the years that keeps me coming back.Even the friends I've brought back into the hobby.
You want cheap racing that's easy- Race a legends car a complete car with everything is less than $300.00.Yes that's expensive but overall the equipment is way better than when I started . To tell you the truth it was more like about $400-$500 to get started in 1/12th back in 1979. If you race TC on anything else it's expensive. Any hobby is expensive!
You want more people do some parking lot races.Yes that's laot of work and everyone just wants to show up and race. Nobody wants to bring a track to a parking lot set-up and tear it down. Heck nobody wants to support the only organization (ROAR) that supports the hobby.But it's been that way for years.
Where do we send the kleenex to
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland View Post
Malcom,

I have had the great pleasure of being able to race over their (BTCC series 2006 and St. Austel Model Car club (now closed in Cornwall) along with the SouthWest series, alot in Devon (club now also closed) and then back over here. So I have alittle bit of perspective in both. My friends back over there in the UK have moved to 1/8 offroad or have just got out. It is pretty sad when you look at last years BTCC entries and see what has happened to a great series.

I have tried to hold onto the on-road thing, but it is hard. I can run weekly with a $200 slash and run against 20 other trucks and have a blast, or drop another easy grand and run against 5 guys once or twice a month and mess with a laptop to program a stupid esc.

It is what it is.
Hi Jland
Again another good point of view, and as you say you have seen clubs go down over this side of the pond which is trully sad.

We at HRCC was close to closing down around 4 to 5 years ago, when we had 8 to 10 regulars turning up on a friday night to play, and those are still with us. Unfortunately other clubs in the area shut down, which we were fortunate to have the hardcore of those club members come and join us, and thats what kept us going.

Yes you are right about peeps going over to off rd, as there doesen't seem to be so much of the hassle factor wiv tweaking this and that on a lap top because of these new speedos coming in to fasion, but im sure when peeps see that the majority of racers going no quicker than they usally do with shall we say a lesser speedo. We all know we have to slow down at the corner to get round them, because the law of physics will onl y allow you to go round a corner so fast on a given control tyre.

We at Rug Racers have seen the likes of Elliott Harper rnning mod only going 0.80 of a second quciker per lap than the top 13.5 boys are going. So I think we need to take a second look at these new speedos to what they really are. Are manufacturers just playing clever mind games with us, I guess we will have to wait and see.

I am also guilty of the new ESC fad, so you might say, well eat your own words, and again we will av to wait and see, I just hope im wrong on this one.

Cheers Malc
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Many F1 enthusiasts would agree that F1 made a mistake going the way it has. F1 WAS the ultimate in technological innovation and driver skill and many of the ideas developed in F1 are used in other areas today. Now much of that has been stripped away and we have teams entering that are pretty much a joke.
Hi
I see your point to a point, but surely racing should be for every one, not just the elite to show off there skills that they have, and not for electronics to take over.

I dont think the likes of Graham Hill, John Serties, Fangio and alike becoming a better driver because of electronics, it was all about the skill factor they had

Cheers Malc

ps sorry about my spmelling
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote