R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Gluing Graphite Chassis Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/374226-gluing-graphite-chassis-question.html)

DriftWoof 02-25-2010 01:44 AM

Gluing Graphite Chassis Question

I have an HPI Sprint 2 and I am about get a Cyclone TC for drifting. I wanted to know why in the instructions it says to glue all the egdes of the all the Graphite parts. I have a full graphite setup on my HPI Sprint 2 and I have had no problems without gluing it.

What's the deal?

If I do have to glue it can I use shoe glue or something easy? CA glue... I'm bound to get it on the chassis. Sanding is not my thing. Is it really necessary?

tc3team 02-25-2010 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by DriftWoof (Post 7054384)
I have an HPI Sprint 2 and I am about get a Cyclone TC for drifting. I wanted to know why in the instructions it says to glue all the egdes of the all the Graphite parts. I have a full graphite setup on my HPI Sprint 2 and I have had no problems without gluing it.

What's the deal?

If I do have to glue it can I use shoe glue or something easy? CA glue... I'm bound to get it on the chassis. Sanding is not my thing. Is it really necessary?

The reason they suggest gluing the edges of the chassis is to stop any risk of splintering. I have done mine for peace of mind.

The easiest way is to use a cotton bud (the ones on sticks) and apply a small amount of CA glue to the cotton bud, using a rolling motion as you move around the edge of the chassis.

The key is to take your time :nod: don't rush it!

If you go to organised events, any pro at a race meeting would be able to tell you how to do it if you ask the right one if my reply isn't descriptive enough :):tire:

asw7576 02-25-2010 01:59 AM

ca glue help to prevent graphite chassis's edges from splitting or tearing. One reason, it protects your fingers from getting pierce by woven glass fibres in the graphite chassis.

use low setting ca glue and toothpick to spread out the glue evenly. one layer is enough. two layers for geeks.

Sanding is optional ( I don't do it ).

However, If you hit something very hard, the graphite chassis will crack regardless with ca glue or without ca glue.

DriftWoof 02-25-2010 02:37 AM

My chassis has been in some crashes, never splintered or flaked. Just scratched.

Has it happened to anyone?

I might do without it if I get the TC kit.

Team-RTR 02-25-2010 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by DriftWoof (Post 7054441)
My chassis has been in some crashes, never splintered or flaked. Just scratched.

Has it happened to anyone?

I might do without it if I get the TC kit.

i highly reccomend to do it. like ASW said it really does help the chassis from splintering in big crashes and YES i have a few chassis in my time, just noticed my 009 chassis is split on the side.