R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2002, 04:05 PM   #361
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid

I'm actually considering selling that really hopped up F103 of mine.
Blasphemy!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 04:30 PM   #362
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho

Blasphemy!
.....The F201 looks so real out there on the track, that it would be too hard for me to go back!

The very hopped up F103 that I have told you guys about in the past is now on sale in the buy/sell/trade section. Check it out...!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:45 AM   #363
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F
Default Foam Tires

Hey Fellas, pyscho, Darksied can you help me out. I'm looking to switch my A compounds to Foams on my F103. We run on unprepared asphalt, slightly bumpy track. Can you recommend some Tamiya tires, front and rear as wel as the front springs that you would use.

Thanks
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:52 AM   #364
Tech Master

Default Re: Foam Tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F
Hey Fellas, pyscho, Darksied can you help me out. I'm looking to switch my A compounds to Foams on my F103. We run on unprepared asphalt, slightly bumpy track. Can you recommend some Tamiya tires, front and rear as wel as the front springs that you would use.

Thanks
I would suggest that you pick up some 1/12th scale donuts and use those instead of the Tamiya foams (unless you are running TCS.) If you use 1/12 donuts, purple up front and grey in back works pretty well on less than ideal grip conditions. It's also awesome on carpet. I go back and forth between black springs and gold springs up front depending on the track and conditions. Try black first since the backend may have a tendency to come around with the low grip conditions. If you have to use Tamiya foams, The HBR softs in the rear and medium up front works pretty well. I don't like the HBR's on the tracks that I run on because they are too grippy and you don't get any slide in the turns. Get ready for a completely different car once you put foams on it! Good luck! Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:04 AM   #365
Regional Moderator

I guess psycho will have to help you out, we don't use foams around here. Only rubber.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:06 AM   #366
Regional Moderator

So has anybody actually came out with some aftermarket tires for the F201 yet? If so, can somebody hit me with a website and part number I could find them.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:14 AM   #367
Tech Master

Check on www.formula1-rc.com He has the Pit-Shimizu tires and I'm pretty sure they are in stock. They have two compounds and I would be inclined to try the hard one to start with.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:30 AM   #368
Regional Moderator

thanks psycho
Old 06-14-2002, 11:51 AM   #369
Regional Moderator

Thanks psycho. I hadn't been to that site in a while. Theres some good reading to be had there.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:16 PM   #370
Regional Moderator

Hey Pyscho - you wouldn't happen to know the item number for the HBR Soft (rear) and HBR Med(front) tires. I'm looking at the Tamiya website now and I see the tires there but it doesn't state, on some of them, the compound. For instance item# 53128 F HBR Sponge Tires. I can only assume that the F means Front.

Can you help me out, one last time , thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 02:21 PM   #371
Tech Master

No worries, Mike! I happen to have my trusty Tamiya catalog right here in front of me!

There are several types of foams that Tamiya sells. The HBR ones are the easiest for me to keep track of since they are clearly marked "HBR." I think the other compounds are standard foam and some other lower grip type as well. The "kit tires" are pretty popular on carpet, but I'm not sure what the part#'s are for those. Everyone refers to them as "kit tires," though.

Anyways, here's the HBR part#'s

53128 HBR medium compound front
53129 HBR soft compound rear

Another thing, use ca glue instead of those lame double sticky tapes that they give you. The double stick tapes don't hold very well and you'll end up chunking your tires. I just slide the foams over the rims, move them around a bit until I get them the way I want, glue them up and true them. Even though they look like they are pre-trued, you want to true them again once you glue them. Put a good bevel on the edges too or you'll get too much side bite and you'll traction roll or come to a stop in hairpins rather than doing a nice tight turn. If you run on a grippier surface, you'll see what I mean. You'll have better success with foams if you can blow off the track with a leaf blower and spray some root beer on the track with a bug sprayer. Most places won't object to you spraying soda, but it's probably worth an ask.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:28 PM   #372
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon Slayer

1/12 donuts work on F-1 wheels...that would be the way to go....HBR's are pretty expensive......
Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:09 AM   #373
Regional Moderator

thanks Pyscho.

Drgonslayer - I'm trying to keep it TCS legal
Old 06-15-2002, 12:50 PM   #374
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon Slayer

MikeF......gotcha......are the Tamiya foams still legal in TCS.....and where do you race a TCS series race????We use to have them in Texas...no more!i think we had some of the bigger turn outs...go figure......Tulsa use to have them also...dont know if they still do????I made a couple of those too.
Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 01:05 PM   #375
Regional Moderator

Dragon: I don't believe that the foams are still legal in the TCS. Its all rubber now if I'm not mistaken.