R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-25-2002, 06:43 AM   #331
Ian
Tech Regular

spooky...which rubber tires are u using....i'm currently using HBR med front/rear
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:12 AM   #332
Tech Master

It works great with rubber tires, but with foams, it's really a handful. Ian, I'm running a Hitec mini servo. Sorry, I don't have the model# handy, but it's the bb one with metal gears. It's plenty fast and seems to be very good quality. I don't see why everyone bashes them except for their lame spline.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:52 PM   #333
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Tamiya B's all around.

I am about to mount up some Ride Grooved B's
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:38 PM   #334
Ian
Tech Regular

i gonna get some A's front/rear coz i'm gonna run at night...will let u know the outcome
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:47 PM   #335
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi New to F1 cars, i just got a lemans and wanted to know if there is someone/somewhere where i can find out what the effect of different adjustments have on the handling of the car?

It is a tamiya F103.

Thanks in advance
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 11:14 AM   #336
Tech Master

Besercoe

Check www.formula1-rc.com There is a lot of good info on the F103 chassis there. It's mostly specific to open wheel bodies, but much of it is applicable when using GTP bodies.

Here's a few suggestions that should get you started.

Order the FRP long upper deck (part# 53186) for the car unless you have the graphite LM chassis. The standard FRP chassis is very flexible and will cause strange handling.

Change your spurgear to a Kimbrough gear. They make 48 pitch and 64 pitch gears for Tamiya/Kyosho F1 cars. This way you have a wider choice of gearing and can use common pinion gears. It also has more balls, so it will make the diffs smoother.

If you kit didn't come with full bearings, pick them up. Integy and Dynamite sell prepackaged sets of bearings for the car. They are around $25.

If you have the battery pod that uses o-rings in the pivot, tighten the screws down so you have no lateral movement, but still have quite a bit of rotation.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2002, 05:12 PM   #337
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,
I got my crc f1 when it was available and started racing in the pan class at Socal raceway where all the big sponsored drivers race. Unfortunately, all the other cars in this class were 10th scale pans with gtp bodies. I knew my f1's narrower wheelbase and open wheels would give me a disadvantage. After a couple weeks, I actually won the pan class, everyone was amazed as they watched the little F1 hold off the 10th scalers. The one sponsored driver got taken out early and never caught me.

I've also ran it at SVM raceway (huge nitro track) with a 12 turn mod. I kept up with the 10th scale sedans on the back straight. Big crowd pleaser.

The main thing I love about this car is that it never ever broke a single part. I've had some bad crashes too. Did cartwheels down the back straight at 50mph.

F1's are awesome! too bad it so hard to find a place to race them.
The Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 05:18 PM   #338
Tech Master

The Tick

You need to make the trek up the Bay Area. We have a pretty good F1 class here. Last race we had 2 full heats of F1 and we plan to start a separate class for the F201. Most guys run Tamiya or Kyosho cars, but there are a couple Corally and Cross cars too. Last year, we had some AE hybrid cars like the CRC, but those guys seem to have retired their cars.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:45 PM   #339
Tech Addict

Quote:
After a couple weeks, I actually won the pan class, everyone was amazed as they watched the little F1 hold off the 10th scalers. The one sponsored driver got taken out early and never caught me.
The tick
Thats amazing! Are you in the intermediate or sportsman class? What F1 body are you using at the time and is that a Tamiya link front end on your car?
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 05:56 AM   #340
Tech Champion

Psycho, Les is stocking the Ride tires now, are the grooved ones a disadvantage to the Slicks ? and how do both compare to the Tamiya's ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
Old 05-03-2002, 08:50 AM   #341
Tech Rookie

Jimmyd,
They only have 1 class for pan cars, but they are good. The sponsored guy who used to race there ususally beat second place by a lap. All the guys came up to me after I won and shook my hand. They were amazed.

I usually race expert stock sedan. I ran trinity green spec tires that cost like $12. I like my crc alot. It's really light and strong. The track there is small and very tight.
The Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:14 AM   #342
Tech Master

spooky

Ride makes the tires for Tamiya, so they should be comparable. Apparently the Ride A compound is equivalent to the Tamiya B compound and the Tamiya B compound is equivalent to the Ride A compound. I'm not sure about that, but that's what I heard. I only use rubber tires when the grip is really bad for foams, so I don't have a lot of experience with them. I use Ride A compund all around when I have to go to rubber, though. I hope that helps. I've heard good things about the Cross Aggress tires too, but don't have much experience with them. I used them once on a different car and it seems like they need a couple laps to wear in.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:53 AM   #343
Tech Champion

Cross Agress ?
Old 05-08-2002, 10:07 AM   #344
Tech Master

Yeah. That's what they call their tires. The ones that come in the kit are Agress tires. Might be worth a try. Mine are still in the original bag!
Old 05-08-2002, 11:45 AM   #345
Tech Champion

OK... I ran those tires for a little bit, they were ok. The sidewalls seem a little thin.