R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITH View Post
What was your motor temp after 8 mins? How much did your car fade lap times wise start to finish?
Team Associated, Reedy, Tekin, Futaba, Putnam, Protoform, BSR, SXT, Reflex Racing, McPappy Racing, TQ Wire, Swifty Designs
Jeff Cuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

70' to 75' straight med flow 1 switchback couple 90"S med bite. going down a pinion will bring heat to motor??
was running 1 notch of timing
KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITH View Post
70' to 75' straight med flow 1 switchback couple 90"S med bite. going down a pinion will bring heat to motor??
was running 1 notch of timing
Pinion won't gain heat but the timing will. I still think you can fine toon more out of the motor thru speedo.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was

Sup Jeff thanks for your help at the Birds. Too bad I waited so late in the week to get the RS. Need some advice in general, at my home track we have what we call a horseshoe section because of the upside down U shape. If you do it right it is more or less full speed. my problem is the boost comes in really hard at the top and pushes the car out, any advice on setting or even driving tips would be appreciated. Profile 4, Timing boost - 45, and turbo - 10, ramp 2.0 start rpms 36xx to 15xxx.
Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jeff, tried you setup on the small track this weekend (~55' x ~30'). I got it to work after going with heavier gear and bringing down the end RPM a bit. The end result, no difference in laptimes.

My current setup was for Duo 1:

- 0 motor Timing
- 55 deg Timing Boost
- 0 Turbo Boost
- ~2300-5555 Range
- 78-80mm roll-out range

The new setup after tweaking yours was:
- 0 Motor timing
- 45 deg Timing Boost
- .2 delay, 2 ramp
- 10 Turbo Boost
- ~2400-9000 Range
- 84mm roll-out

I initially went with no turbo boost this weekend but needed it for strait away speed. We have a sweeper coming onto the strait which makes full throttle section about 80'. Turbo kicked in right after sweep finished out.

The only benefit I could see between the setups was the motor was moved a bit more forward in the pod, which changed steering characteristics slightly. Otherwise same laptimes, same heat, both setups very similar drop off in laptimes (about .2 on this track & layout). The new setup a bit easier on the battery by about 150mah per run on average.

Just wanted to share the information.

Last edited by jkirkwood; 03-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #36
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeasler View Post
Sup Jeff thanks for your help at the Birds. Too bad I waited so late in the week to get the RS. Need some advice in general, at my home track we have what we call a horseshoe section because of the upside down U shape. If you do it right it is more or less full speed. my problem is the boost comes in really hard at the top and pushes the car out, any advice on setting or even driving tips would be appreciated. Profile 4, Timing boost - 45, and turbo - 10, ramp 2.0 start rpms 36xx to 15xxx.
Rod
im not jeff, but we have a section at my home track similar to what you have described, a double apex horseshoe. Depending on the turbo setting, it can kick in and push you wide. I combated this issue by rolling off the throttle half way around, so it would reset the turbo countdown and kick in after the apex.

I later found out it was just easier having a turbo delay of 0 rather than 1.5 which I started out on.
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
It was like 96X40

Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs View Post
All the motors I'm running are currently duo 1 based motors. The duo 2 seems like it needs alil more motor timing to run with the duo 1s. Yeah I think it was 96 x 40 or 42. You guys running 5 or 6 minutes. Might have to lower boost a bit if your running 6 to control temp. I run a fan behind my motor on all my touring cars. I would run those settings without one.
Thanks guys....yeah, Hurricane series ran for 6 minutes. And I was using your setup at the last week TCS running 17.5 for 8 minutes...talk about getting "BOOST_LESS" after 6 minutes mark...(at least everyone does).

I will write them down and save that for the record..thanks again.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
Rod
Whats your delay at and i have a similar section at my track and i roll off of throttle a bit before entrance of that section just to keep it off turbo. I run profile 5 all the time not saying that will help in this situation but worth a shot to try in general...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
Jeff, tried you setup on the small track this weekend (~55' x ~30'). I got it to work after going with heavier gear and bringing down the end RPM a bit. The end result, no difference in laptimes.

My current setup was for Duo 1:

- 0 motor Timing
- 55 deg Timing Boost
- 0 Turbo Boost
- ~2300-5555 Range
- 78-80mm roll-out range

The new setup after tweaking yours was:
- 0 Motor timing
- 45 deg Timing Boost
- .2 delay, 2 ramp
- 10 Turbo Boost
- ~2400-9000 Range
- 84mm roll-out

I initially went with no turbo boost this weekend but needed it for strait away speed. We have a sweeper coming onto the strait which makes full throttle section about 80'. Turbo kicked in right after sweep finished out.

The only benefit I could see between the setups was the motor was moved a bit more forward in the pod, which changed steering characteristics slightly. Otherwise same laptimes, same heat, both setups very similar drop off in laptimes (about .2 on this track & layout). The new setup a bit easier on the battery by about 150mah per run on average.

Just wanted to share the information.

Try .1 and drop 2 teeth and raise the turbo to 15. Let me know how that works.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
im not jeff, but we have a section at my home track similar to what you have described, a double apex horseshoe. Depending on the turbo setting, it can kick in and push you wide. I combated this issue by rolling off the throttle half way around, so it would reset the turbo countdown and kick in after the apex.

I later found out it was just easier having a turbo delay of 0 rather than 1.5 which I started out on.
The problem with 0 on the delay its really ineffecient for the motor. It tends to build extra heat in the motor but really it comes down to what works for you.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Thanks guys....yeah, Hurricane series ran for 6 minutes. And I was using your setup at the last week TCS running 17.5 for 8 minutes...talk about getting "BOOST_LESS" after 6 minutes mark...(at least everyone does).

I will write them down and save that for the record..thanks again.
You loose boost after 6 minutes?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #42
Tech Initiate

Quote:
You loose boost after 6 minutes?
Hi Jeff,

I had a similar thing happen to me sunday, It was weird the motor temp was no more than 60 Degrees C but in my last quali round my boost had noticably faded after the 4 min mark in a 10.5 touring car...Its never happened before! Any ideas?
Settings Motor (Speed passion V3) Geared at 7.00 with a straight of aprox 30meters
RPM Range- 27xx-100xx
Boost- 55
Turbo-10/0 delay
Proflie -5
Green Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was

Quote:
Whats your delay at and i have a similar section at my track and i roll off of throttle a bit before entrance of that section just to keep it off turbo. I run profile 5 all the time not saying that will help in this situation but worth a shot to try in general...
My delay is at .1 but you have a good point about backing off the throttle since I am probably moving at a speed above what my old speedy would give me at full throttle.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #44
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Speed View Post
Hi Jeff,

I had a similar thing happen to me sunday, It was weird the motor temp was no more than 60 Degrees C but in my last quali round my boost had noticably faded after the 4 min mark in a 10.5 touring car...Its never happened before! Any ideas?
Settings Motor (Speed passion V3) Geared at 7.00 with a straight of aprox 30meters
RPM Range- 27xx-100xx
Boost- 55
Turbo-10/0 delay
Proflie -5
Reprogram your speedo with the throttle epa on your radio at 95% and then bring it back up to 100%. Let me know if that helps
Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
My delay is at .1 but you have a good point about backing off the throttle since I am probably moving at a speed above what my old speedy would give me at full throttle.

Rod
Yeah by rolling off i found that my times were more consistant.