R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Shorty GP 3300 recalled?

Hello guys,
I heard yesterday that the GP 3300 "shorty" cells were recalled. It was something like that the way they made them shorter was to shorten the positive electrode and moved the rubber thing inside. The combination of these makes it easier to overheat the cell and cover the vent holes with the ribber thing inside so that when they overheat later they can't vent and blow.

Has anyone else heard about this? Does it affect only certain lots, or all of them. How can I be sure my batts are safe? I have my 7 year old racing with me--I can't afford to take risks.
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

lets just say if that happens alot of people are going to be out of racing for awile, because i have 5 fuku packs all shorty cells, i know personally i dont think its a big deal so i wouldent send them back unless i had new packs to replace them
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

We had a pack blow at our track about 2 weeks ago. It was from overcharging. When some company's zap these new cells at such high voltage the cells can't vent so when they get overcharged they blow. Don't worry Fusion packs aren't the cells that have blown. It's very very rare for this to happen. After i talked to the guy whos cells blew he said that reedy has only know of 5 packs going. 4 of them where from one company and one from another. I would not be worried.

Jacob

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Well, I was personally involved with one that blew too. I don't have any of those cells yet, but I did plan on getting some. I don't race enough to always have the latest and greatest, but I do need some new batts.
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Shorty GP 3300 recalled?

Quote:
Originally posted by 24601
Hello guys,
I heard yesterday that the GP 3300 "shorty" cells were recalled. It was something like that the way they made them shorter was to shorten the positive electrode and moved the rubber thing inside. The combination of these makes it easier to overheat the cell and cover the vent holes with the ribber thing inside so that when they overheat later they can't vent and blow.

Has anyone else heard about this? Does it affect only certain lots, or all of them. How can I be sure my batts are safe? I have my 7 year old racing with me--I can't afford to take risks.
I can tell you I haven't heard anything. Apparently there was a manufacturing problem about a month ago, which I was told relates to the cell shrink wrap splitting, not cells exploding. That's sounds pretty dangerous!

If I do hear anything (and I hear all the news relating to these cells) I'll let you know.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

I would not be worried about shrink wrap spiliting. Packs exploding are a far bigger worry. I have seen it happen about 20 feet from me and you don't want it to happen to you.

Jacob

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote