Cheap Portable Air Compressor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Portable Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Here's what I use for both blowing off my cars (and everyone else's at the track) and for airbrushing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-H...essor/11377676
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Here's what I use for both blowing off my cars (and everyone else's at the track) and for airbrushing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-H...essor/11377676
I hope you don't mind this expression but the Sears one blows this one away. I have the Sears one up north and the same one you have downstate, I even bought it at Wal-mart too. It isn't even in the same class, it takes forever to get up to pressure and loud. Worst purchase I ever made might as well have thrown my money away. The only reason I got it was because Sears was out of stock and I didn't want to wait.

It just barely cleans the carpet fibers off when it has to run on because it lost all of its pressure with a couple shots. For $10 the Sears is a good deal, it's not the best, heck it's close to the bottom of acceptable but it's not the worst too.

For airbrushing I use a Grex compressor (retail $200) it is the best little compressor you can get for airbrush. A little pricey but you do get what you pay for.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Does anyone use a CO2 tank? like a 5 lb tank or 10 lb? That would be nice and quit plus no water for painting...
drop the coin to get a dedicated air compressor for airbrushing. thats what ill be doing pretty soon.

the other one is just too loud.. but at $60... it was too good of a deal to pass up.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
drop the coin to get a dedicated air compressor for airbrushing. thats what ill be doing pretty soon.

the other one is just too loud.. but at $60... it was too good of a deal to pass up.
I have one, I just think that the CO2 is a better idea over time. The problem with these cheap units, they do not last, I have to purchase a new one every 2 years.... Use used C02 in go carts, but we carried 2 big tanks... lasted all year.... We used it hard....
Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AreCee
I hope you don't mind this expression but the Sears one blows this one away. I have the Sears one up north and the same one you have downstate, I even bought it at Wal-mart too. It isn't even in the same class, it takes forever to get up to pressure and loud. Worst purchase I ever made might as well have thrown my money away. The only reason I got it was because Sears was out of stock and I didn't want to wait.

It just barely cleans the carpet fibers off when it has to run on because it lost all of its pressure with a couple shots. For $10 the Sears is a good deal, it's not the best, heck it's close to the bottom of acceptable but it's not the worst too.

For airbrushing I use a Grex compressor (retail $200) it is the best little compressor you can get for airbrush. A little pricey but you do get what you pay for.
That may be...but it does get the job done and works just fine for me...mine isn't all that loud so maybe something is wrong with yours. I've even had people comment they expected it to be louder. Works just fine for airbrushing because the tank gives the brush really constant air. No need to spend more on an expensive one for airbrushing. I typically don't shop at Sears as I find their prices to be on the high side...probably because of where I live. I do go there once in a great while though. Got my drill press from there because I had a gift certificate.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Does anyone use a CO2 tank? like a 5 lb tank or 10 lb? That would be nice and quit plus no water for painting...
There is a guy who races at my local track in Camarillo who uses a CO2 tank for blow off. He likes it and says it will last him at least 3-4 months. I don't know the actual capacity but the tank is about 3ft tall or so. I think it's about $35 (maybe more) or so to get it refilled. It's not a bad way to go as you don't need any power to run it, it makes no noise, and needs no maintenance.

I tried my portable compressed air tank but you don't get enough capacity at the normal 120psi compression. The CO2 tanks are normally compressed at 3,500psi or so.

I just recently picked up this compressor from Sears. I like it but wish the tank capacity was a bit more. I compared it to the one with the 3 gal horizontal cylindrical tank but it was much heavier to lug around and didn't have any regulator or gauges. Mine isn't too loud compared to many others I've heard at the track.

My only problem now is the start up current draw is a bit much for the 1,000watt generator my race buddy has. It needs a compression release or starting capacitor to help out and not bog the generator down too much. The generator will handle it fine with no other load but when we've all got chargers going it will trip it.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danketchpel
There is a guy who races at my local track in Camarillo who uses a CO2 tank for blow off. He likes it and says it will last him at least 3-4 months. I don't know the actual capacity but the tank is about 3ft tall or so. I think it's about $35 (maybe more) or so to get it refilled. It's not a bad way to go as you don't need any power to run it, it makes no noise, and needs no maintenance.

I tried my portable compressed air tank but you don't get enough capacity at the normal 120psi compression. The CO2 tanks are normally compressed at 3,500psi or so.

I just recently picked up this compressor from Sears. I like it but wish the tank capacity was a bit more. I compared it to the one with the 3 gal horizontal cylindrical tank but it was much heavier to lug around and didn't have any regulator or gauges. Mine isn't too loud compared to many others I've heard at the track.

My only problem now is the start up current draw is a bit much for the 1,000watt generator my race buddy has. It needs a compression release or starting capacitor to help out and not bog the generator down too much. The generator will handle it fine with no other load but when we've all got chargers going it will trip it.

Many thanks... I was hoping to find out the time it would last... I know you can pick them up on ebay used...