Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Newbe Touring Car Question about Diffs >

Newbe Touring Car Question about Diffs

Newbe Touring Car Question about Diffs

Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 AM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (120)
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,708
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default Newbe Touring Car Question about Diffs

What is the difference between, a solid axel, spool, one way. I just bought a t2 009, i believe it comes with a solid axel, but was wondering about the others. Whats the best for a beginner?? Any help would be great!!!
Potoczak is offline  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:29 AM
  #2  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (3)
 
TecNyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 33
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Solid axle and a spool are the same. It's a direct link between both wheels (front or back) and there is no differential action at all. So the wheels on both sides spin at the same rate.

The one way is a differential that has a one way bearing in it so on power, it "locks up" acting almost like a differential, but off power it free wheels giving you better turning at the expense of brakes.

I don't to touring car racing so I can't tell you a good starting set up, but if you plan on drifting, I can help you there.

Last edited by TecNyne; 02-21-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Re-worded it.
TecNyne is offline  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 AM
  #3  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 1,063
Default

Very basic run-down:
1. Always use a standard ball diff in the rear.
2. Standard diff in front provides average level of steering, acceleration, and braking. Can be adjusted to suit track/driving.
3. Spool is a locked front end. Provides less steering, mroe brakes, more acceleration.
4. One-way "free wheels" off-power. Good steering, good acceleration, no brakes. Hard to drive for beginners.

Generally diffs at both ends is a good way to start out, or maybe a spool at the front. A one-way requires a lot of control and an eas ytrigger finger to drive well, but can make your car very fast through corners.
JR007 is offline  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 1,063
Default

^^ jsut beat me. lol
JR007 is offline  
Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM
  #5  
Tech Addict
 
imjonah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 704
Default Spool Tougher on front drive component, also

Not an expert, but I have read on this forum that spools are tougher on front drive components dog bones, out drives universals,etc.
imjonah is offline  
Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (120)
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,708
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the info guys that helps out alot, i was considering buying the multi diff for the 009, which with the multi diff you can have a solid axle, a one way or a regular diff. i think i am correct about that!! I think???
Potoczak is offline  
Old 02-21-2010, 05:06 PM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
rcterp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: No mans land.
Posts: 1,032
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Thanks for the info guys that helps out alot, i was considering buying the multi diff for the 009, which with the multi diff you can have a solid axle, a one way or a regular diff. i think i am correct about that!! I think???
If you're using the spool use the composite (plastic) one. It has a lighter rotational mass, it's also a little easier on the driveshaft blades (because you don't use them).

Get the multi-diff to run the one-way.

Generally a spool is easier to drive because the car will push a little and you have full brakes.

As stated before, the one-way can be very fast, but it is harder to drive.
rcterp is offline  
Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
  #8  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NZ
Posts: 678
Default

Hi there.
What about for racing with silvercan(stock motors)
I'm using the composite spool in my 2008, but I also have a spare multidiff.
Will a one-way give that little bit more speed in silvercan racing??

"Generally a spool is easier to drive because the car will push a little"
Is this push understeer in the corners??

The multidiff is heavier than the spool, is this irrelevant due to rotational mass of the tyres negating any small difference in spool/multidiff weight??

(sorry for hijacking the thread, but is relevant)
1101 is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
rcterp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: No mans land.
Posts: 1,032
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Hi there.
What about for racing with silvercan(stock motors)
I'm using the composite spool in my 2008, but I also have a spare multidiff.
Will a one-way give that little bit more speed in silvercan racing??

"Generally a spool is easier to drive because the car will push a little"
Is this push understeer in the corners??

The multidiff is heavier than the spool, is this irrelevant due to rotational mass of the tyres negating any small difference in spool/multidiff weight??

(sorry for hijacking the thread, but is relevant)
A one way is no faster in a straight line, however it can have faster cornering speeds; again at the sacrifice of having a car that can oversteer and have no brakes. When I ran stock with my 009 all I ran was a oneway if the track layout allowed.

Yes push is understeer; you need to change your setup and use braking to compensate for this.

Regarding the weight of the multidiff; you probably couldn't tell a difference, but with these cars even little things go along way.
rcterp is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 AM
  #10  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
Mugen10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 551
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

OK, if you are just starting out racing TC then keep it simple is what I always say.
Start with the regular diff. It is the easiest to drive and has a consistent feel in every corner. Once you get the feel for what the car does and drives. Then you can try other diffs as a toning tool.
That is what the different options of diffs are. A toning tool to improve lap times.
Mugen10 is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 05:17 AM
  #11  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (120)
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,708
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default

So i guess you guys are saying to use the original spool that comes with the car from stock for a beginner. Correct? I have also read that alot of guys are replacing the front plastic outdrive cups to metal ones, is this true???
Potoczak is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 05:38 AM
  #12  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
Mugen10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 551
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default


Well I was saying use the stock diff that comes with the car when you buy it new. The spool will be fine if you are on a large flowing track. If you are on a short track with lots of tight 180 turns. It will be easier to tune using a stock slipper diff.
Mugen10 is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 AM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
rcterp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: No mans land.
Posts: 1,032
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
So i guess you guys are saying to use the original spool that comes with the car from stock for a beginner. Correct? I have also read that alot of guys are replacing the front plastic outdrive cups to metal ones, is this true???
Originally Posted by Mugen10 View Post

Well I was saying use the stock diff that comes with the car when you buy it new. The spool will be fine if you are on a large flowing track. If you are on a short track with lots of tight 180 turns. It will be easier to tune using a stock slipper diff.
Some of it does come down to personal preference.

I believe the spool is easier to drive because you get a little less turn in then the regular diff.

Also, the kit came with the spool, so you'd have to go out and buy a diff for $50 (Xray price).

So I would say run the spool that it came with, work on getting a comfortable setup on the car with a neutral feel. Then just drive the car a lot. Don't fall into the trap of changing the setup after every run, work on driving the car better.
rcterp is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 AM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (94)
 
The Hawaiian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: by a lake, FL
Posts: 1,810
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcterp View Post
Some of it does come down to personal preference.

I believe the spool is easier to drive because you get a little less turn in then the regular diff.

Also, the kit came with the spool, so you'd have to go out and buy a diff for $50 (Xray price).

So I would say run the spool that it came with, work on getting a comfortable setup on the car with a neutral feel. Then just drive the car a lot. Don't fall into the trap of changing the setup after every run, work on driving the car better.
+1 drive the car...nothing is better then practice
The Hawaiian is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
  #15  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

spool will be more easier to drive than oneway...if u need more steering then try a diff...
kschu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.