R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
The problem with the Novak Smart boost is the Built-In Cutoff Voltage at 3.3 Volts. With the new Tekin 203 software, the ESC's are putting a much higher load on the battery, and when those peak draws occur, the battery voltage easily dips below 3.3 Volts for a few milliseconds, which was confirmed using the Novak Sentry logger.

Once the battery gets to the lower end of the available voltage on the battery, you can reproduce the Novak Smart Boost LiPo Cutoff circuitry kicking in on the bench with a few quick burst of full throttle.

What long-term effect (if any) will this have on single cell packs?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
What long-term effect (if any) will this have on single cell packs?
Don't know, I'm not a battery guru. I suspect that quick bursts on the battery bringing it below the 3.0v minimum will slowly be reducing the life of the LiPo 1S batteries.

I'm not too sure that Novak should have built-in the LiPo protection on the Smart Boost. When Novak first designed them, there was no LiPo protection for 1S racing built into Speed Controls, but now several have it, so if they want it, they can turn it on.

What I do know is that Stock or SuperStock racers should not have to be concerned, or conservative, with gearing and timing just to keep their cars running for an entire full race.

As an example, this past weekend my Smart Boost gave out right in the middle of our big sweeper in 1/12 13.5 at full speed with Mike Dumas just feet behind me and closing. Once my booster gave out, I knew I couldn't finish my race on full power, but it cost Dumas a few tenths off his time by having to check-up and change his line.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Company Representative

The SmartBoost was offered as a module featuring both the servo/receiver voltage booster and the single cell cut-off; so the 1S cut-off circuitry is 50% of the whole point of this module.

However, things change, and these comments will be taken into consideration. If we need to post a technical update and modify our on-line information in response to these reports, we will add a compatibility disclaimer.

More comments concerning this issue should be collected in this thread.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
The SmartBoost was offered as a module featuring both the servo/receiver voltage booster and the single cell cut-off; so the 1S cut-off circuitry is 50% of the whole point of this module.

However, things change, and these comments will be taken into consideration. If we need to post a technical update and modify our on-line information in response to these reports, we will add a compatibility disclaimer.

More comments concerning this issue should be collected in this thread.
How can we disable the voltage cutoff?
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
How can we disable the voltage cutoff?
The 1S cut-off can be disabled only by removing components from the PCB.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
Tech Master

If 50% of the module is the cut-off circuitry, I'm sure Novak could capture more market by offering a Boost Module w/o the built-in cut-off, as several people like the TQ and other brands for their size.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
The 1S cut-off can be disabled only by removing components from the PCB.
Is it as simple as removing a component on the PCB? I'm willing to give that a shot.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
Is it as simple as removing a component on the PCB? I'm willing to give that a shot.
More info on doing this right would be great
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #24
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
If 50% of the module is the cut-off circuitry, I'm sure Novak could capture more market by offering a Boost Module w/o the built-in cut-off, as several people like the TQ and other brands for their size.
I have already suggested removing the 1S cut-off components and calling the new product the SmartBooster.....
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to S.Heath

For those having stuttering problems with the Tekin and Smart Boost combination, are you using the capacitor supplied with the Tekin? I was not, and after consulting with a Tekin racer, that was his first suggestion. You need the capacitor to even out those voltage spikes and dips. I installed it (per the instructions... who knew to follow the instructions?) and the stuttering stoppped.
S.Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
Tech Master

Yes, never run your ESC without the supplied cap.

The bursts of acceleration out of a turn, or keeping full throttle on through a sweeper takes more power to push the car than simply down a straight. These conditions can last for several milliseconds or more. The conditions last way longer than any type of capacitor can cover up.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes I do have the capicator installed from the begining.And thank everyone and Novak for the advice. Looking forward to fixing the problem soon.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

$150 later I have a nice new charger and a 220mah li-fe pack.

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

good luck Tally- I might have to go that way for next weekend (the battery only).
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for this overview; it should be very helpfull. I am forwarding your comments and question to engineering.
Man, glad I found this thread. A number of racers at my local track have experienced this annomoly. First one of my buddies experienced it and we did not know what happened. He finally figured it to be the Novak booster and took it on the chin and threw it out. Actually got so frustrated with the problem he actually got rid of his 1/12th car all together after about a month and a half of this problem occuring off and on. Then several other guys experienced it and just went to reciever packs. Then about two weeks ago I had it happen to me during warmup practice. I was about to install a reciever pack when someone loaned me a TQ cells booster. I installed it and have not had any problems in the two race weekends I have run. I have been using Novak products since I started racing in the mid 80's, this product has disappointed me. But in Novaks defense, the Tekin speedo is not their product and the "high end software" had not been released before the booster design so I don't know how they could have taken it into consideration. I would like to see the Novak booster redesigned if possible to work with the Tekin and get the booster upgraded accordingly.

No Apologies Racing, don't believe me, try me!!!!!
spurcheck is offline   Reply With Quote