Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
better touring car tires >

better touring car tires

better touring car tires

Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
bajaboy5b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 153
Default better touring car tires

when you are get a new set of tire of on road 1/10th touring car they will have a glossy shine on the tire and that will make you have less grip on the track to take of that shine you get a small file to rub off the glossy shine after you have filed the tire the should be no more gloss shine if there still is file is again.
bajaboy5b is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,965
Default

Not a good idea. The shine is just superficial and goes away after just a few laps (which it takes anyway to warm up the tires if you don't have a tire warmer). I think you can do more damage than good with your idea.
niznai is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 AM
  #3  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
bajaboy5b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 153
Default

Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Not a good idea. The shine is just superficial and goes away after just a few laps (which it takes anyway to warm up the tires if you don't have a tire warmer). I think you can do more damage than good with your idea.
it helps me
bajaboy5b is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,965
Default

Originally Posted by bajaboy5b View Post
it helps me
No worries. It was intended to.
niznai is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:47 AM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (124)
 
vr6cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 4,052
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

I dont sand mine either, what I do is set the car down on the trck and hold the tail as I give it some throttle. 4 wheel burn out for a sec or so and then let go. Does the trick just fine.
vr6cj is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 AM
  #6  
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

I take mine out for a few gentle laps to take the shine off of them, works for me

Don't go racing round the track, use the time with new tyres as a feeler for the track and learning where the sharper corners are so when they are up to pace, you will have remembered where the braking areas are.
tc3team is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 AM
  #7  
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,110
Default

The shiny surface disappears quickly, but the blurr in the center of the tire doesn't. I always remove it, even for practice tires.
heretic is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 AM
  #8  
2xs
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 198
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by heretic View Post
The shiny surface disappears quickly, but the blurr in the center of the tire doesn't. I always remove it, even for practice tires.
Yep, It is a good idea to remove the mold seam from the tires. It helps make traction more consistent.
2xs is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,357
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 2xs View Post
Yep, It is a good idea to remove the mold seam from the tires. It helps make traction more consistent.
More consistant in the first run. After that there is no effect from sanding the seam.
Danny-b23 is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
  #10  
Tech Apprentice
 
energydrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 86
Default

Originally Posted by bajaboy5b View Post
when you are get a new set of tire of on road 1/10th touring car they will have a glossy shine on the tire and that will make you have less grip on the track to take of that shine you get a small file to rub off the glossy shine after you have filed the tire the should be no more gloss shine if there still is file is again.
You cannot tell a difference if that shine is there or not. Placebo effect ftw.
energydrink is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.