Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Body Wings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Red face Body Wings

G' Day, since I am a two week rookie and know basically nothing about racing I have this question about wings. Yesterday during practise one guy lost his wing during a huge crash, after that he couldnt keep his car on the track and he swore it was because of the wing being missing on the body. I always though being rc that wings are only cosmetic and based on real cars were these wings do work. Were they pulling my leg or can it really have a effect on handling ? Car was a TT 01 stock Mercedes DTM. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

If the wing in question was the kit supplied one, than I would say it's not very likely though possible (depending on what sort of speeds we are talking about as well).

I have used the same bodyshell in competition but replaced the wing with a proper protoform one.

Competition-grade cars would be absolute dogs without the wings at the back. If you take a close look the bodyshells usd in competition come in a wide range of material thickness and designs as well as the wings themselves which are adjustable for exactly this reason: to adjust downforce and better tune the car to the track.

Have a quick look on youtube and see what kind of speeds we are talking about in competitions such as the ETS or similar.

And if you want to have a bit of a play, put your car on sensitive scale and use a hairdryer to blow air against it see what happens.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Last edited by Tread1; 02-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

all aerodynamics on the cars do effect the handling, just like a normal car. The rear wing is very important! If you loose your rear wing, you can basically say goodbye and get a new one. I myself have driven without a wing and it is horrible. you loose all grip you had before.

So an straight answer to your question: YES

www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've never been a big believer that the wings/spoilers did all that much at stock class speeds but....a few weeks back while using a HPI Lamborghini Murcielago body the wing got trashed in a wreck and from then on the car handled differently. I checked the car over for damage and adjustment changes but the only thing different was the wing. I had actually used a taller, probably more functional scale wing as we race RCGT. Image counts !! Am I convinced that in ALL cases the wing makes a difference...no. But on some cars and using some wing shapes....yes.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

I agree. I use the Merc I in stock as well. It still makes a difference on tight tracks with little grip to not having any wing, but not crucial. If racing is tight though, it might be the difference that earns you the podium.