R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am the one you probably seen on the Tekin boards asking about Novak
ss motors . I ran a 10.5 ss brand new out of the box. The thing glitched
like weird. I tried, no timing or boost or turbo in the esc. I tried turning it backward, forward on the timing on the can. I couldn't get to work right with out glitching or studdering is more like it. Never the same some times on the first lap sometimes in a 3 minute period. I gave up went back to 17.5, and used a hacker motor and speed passion motor both worked great. Who knows
but no more Novak and tekin combo's for me. I still have like 4 novaks but will replace them as time comes. I a big Novak fan to, but this just left me not interested in spending days and time of trouble shooting. This kind of remind s me of the issue when you try to use a novak havoc system I believe with another brand of motor is won't work.

Dynodan22
dynodan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mine works with a novak 17.5ss?
Bryan Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

I was trying to figure out how to setup the rs with the 13.5 ballistic Novak motor and could not figure it out. It was till I found a posting either on here or on Tekins website on motor timing. It had said that the Novak motor's timing did not equate to the other manufactures motor timing. It said that at the N position on the Novak motor was more close to 15* of timing to other manufacturers motors. Now don't quote me on that, but I changed the timing on the esc to give me a total of 40* of timing (motor and esc combined). So try adjusting the timing on the esc to a lower value to give you a total combined valus of the amount of timing you desire. This might help you with your problem with using the Tekin/Novak combo. I have acquired any issues with this combo.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I have posted our timing information above. There is a great deal of misinformation about brushless motor timing. Novak motors, both Ballistic and and SS Pro, have the timing factory set at N=30 degrees. Do other motor sellers even publish their timing information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
I was trying to figure out how to setup the rs with the 13.5 ballistic Novak motor and could not figure it out. It was till I found a posting either on here or on Tekins website on motor timing. It had said that the Novak motor's timing did not equate to the other manufactures motor timing. It said that at the N position on the Novak motor was more close to 15* of timing to other manufacturers motors. Now don't quote me on that, but I changed the timing on the esc to give me a total of 40* of timing (motor and esc combined). So try adjusting the timing on the esc to a lower value to give you a total combined valus of the amount of timing you desire. This might help you with your problem with using the Tekin/Novak combo. I have acquired any issues with this combo.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
I have posted our timing information above. There is a great deal of misinformation about brushless motor timing. Novak motors, both Ballistic and and SS Pro, have the timing factory set at N=30 degrees. Do other motor sellers even publish their timing information?
Can the motor timing be set lower than the 30?
Can you set it on 0 with the Ballistic?
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #36
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
Can the motor timing be set lower than the 30?
Can you set it on 0 with the Ballistic?
I believe your questions are answered in the info posted above.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Quote:
I don't know if they publish that information. However, I did find out were I got the information I posted earlier for at least the timing difference in the motors. the rest I was experimenting for myself. It is in the document that I am attatching in a zip format. it is in the motor timing section on this document.
Attached Files
File Type: zip using_tekin_rs_with_hotwire_v203_vegas.zip (79.7 KB, 66 views)
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #38
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
I don't know if they publish that information. However, I did find out were I got the information I posted earlier for at least the timing difference in the motors. the rest I was experimenting for myself. It is in the document that I am attatching in a zip format. it is in the motor timing section on this document.
The links from your file are not working for me.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #39
Company Representative

I have questions for those of you having difficulties running Novak motors;

What servos are you running?

Have you installed different servos to find that the problem disappears?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #40
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:

I'm running a Futaba S9452 and have not tried an alternate servo.
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

The three different problems I've seen all were with Novak motors, which had been working in other cars, but when installed in cars with JR digital servos started to cog badly. This was only with v.203 software, when changed back to any earlier version, used in Dual Mode, or after the JR was removed, everything worked fine.

Denney
Denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

May I ask....is this Novak SS motor with TEKIN RS with V203 problem is a "GARANTEE WILL HAPPEN" problem...? Or this is only a few individual problem?

The reason I asked is...(2) Tekin RS coming and (2) Novak SS 13.5/17.5 and they are suppose to be ready to race this SAT/SUN...

I think I am screwed now.............
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
May I ask....is this Novak SS motor with TEKIN RS with V203 problem is a "GARANTEE WILL HAPPEN" problem...? Or this is only a few individual problem?

The reason I asked is...(2) Tekin RS coming and (2) Novak SS 13.5/17.5 and they are suppose to be ready to race this SAT/SUN...

Lots of people run that combo no problems. I would guess this problem is in the distinct minority.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post

It is definitely a hit or miss issue. I've set my younger brother up with an RS and SS17.5 with no issues whatsoever....other than the fact no one believes he has a stock motor in there as he pulls wheelies down the straight if a bump lifts the nose a touch.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
It is definitely a hit or miss issue. I've set my younger brother up with an RS and SS17.5 with no issues whatsoever....other than the fact no one believes he has a stock motor in there as he pulls wheelies down the straight if a bump lifts the nose a touch.
My truck is plenty fast with the RS, but I still have the wierd starting issue.
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote