R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Milwaukee Wi
Posts: 559
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I am the one you probably seen on the Tekin boards asking about Novak
ss motors . I ran a 10.5 ss brand new out of the box. The thing glitched
like weird. I tried, no timing or boost or turbo in the esc. I tried turning it backward, forward on the timing on the can. I couldn't get to work right with out glitching or studdering is more like it. Never the same some times on the first lap sometimes in a 3 minute period. I gave up went back to 17.5, and used a hacker motor and speed passion motor both worked great. Who knows
but no more Novak and tekin combo's for me. I still have like 4 novaks but will replace them as time comes. I a big Novak fan to, but this just left me not interested in spending days and time of trouble shooting. This kind of remind s me of the issue when you try to use a novak havoc system I believe with another brand of motor is won't work.

Dynodan22
dynodan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #32
Tech Adept
 
Bryan Kendall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 135
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Mine works with a novak 17.5ss?
Bryan Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #33
Tech Master
 
CarlosG.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Falls City,TX
Posts: 1,145
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.
Default

I was trying to figure out how to setup the rs with the 13.5 ballistic Novak motor and could not figure it out. It was till I found a posting either on here or on Tekins website on motor timing. It had said that the Novak motor's timing did not equate to the other manufactures motor timing. It said that at the N position on the Novak motor was more close to 15* of timing to other manufacturers motors. Now don't quote me on that, but I changed the timing on the esc to give me a total of 40* of timing (motor and esc combined). So try adjusting the timing on the esc to a lower value to give you a total combined valus of the amount of timing you desire. This might help you with your problem with using the Tekin/Novak combo. I have acquired any issues with this combo.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

I have posted our timing information above. There is a great deal of misinformation about brushless motor timing. Novak motors, both Ballistic and and SS Pro, have the timing factory set at N=30 degrees. Do other motor sellers even publish their timing information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
I was trying to figure out how to setup the rs with the 13.5 ballistic Novak motor and could not figure it out. It was till I found a posting either on here or on Tekins website on motor timing. It had said that the Novak motor's timing did not equate to the other manufactures motor timing. It said that at the N position on the Novak motor was more close to 15* of timing to other manufacturers motors. Now don't quote me on that, but I changed the timing on the esc to give me a total of 40* of timing (motor and esc combined). So try adjusting the timing on the esc to a lower value to give you a total combined valus of the amount of timing you desire. This might help you with your problem with using the Tekin/Novak combo. I have acquired any issues with this combo.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #35
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Helmond
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
I have posted our timing information above. There is a great deal of misinformation about brushless motor timing. Novak motors, both Ballistic and and SS Pro, have the timing factory set at N=30 degrees. Do other motor sellers even publish their timing information?
Can the motor timing be set lower than the 30?
Can you set it on 0 with the Ballistic?
__________________
http://www.mikky32.com
Tekin RS pro
TOP racing Photon
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #36
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
Can the motor timing be set lower than the 30?
Can you set it on 0 with the Ballistic?
I believe your questions are answered in the info posted above.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #37
Tech Master
 
CarlosG.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Falls City,TX
Posts: 1,145
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
I have posted our timing information above. There is a great deal of misinformation about brushless motor timing. Novak motors, both Ballistic and and SS Pro, have the timing factory set at N=30 degrees. Do other motor sellers even publish their timing information?
I don't know if they publish that information. However, I did find out were I got the information I posted earlier for at least the timing difference in the motors. the rest I was experimenting for myself. It is in the document that I am attatching in a zip format. it is in the motor timing section on this document.
Attached Files
File Type: zip using_tekin_rs_with_hotwire_v203_vegas.zip (79.7 KB, 66 views)
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #38
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
I don't know if they publish that information. However, I did find out were I got the information I posted earlier for at least the timing difference in the motors. the rest I was experimenting for myself. It is in the document that I am attatching in a zip format. it is in the motor timing section on this document.
The links from your file are not working for me.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #39
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

I have questions for those of you having difficulties running Novak motors;

What servos are you running?

Have you installed different servos to find that the problem disappears?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #40
Tech Addict
 
csracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 726
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
I have questions for those of you having difficulties running Novak motors;

What servos are you running?

Have you installed different servos to find that the problem disappears?
I'm running a Futaba S9452 and have not tried an alternate servo.
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
I have questions for those of you having difficulties running Novak motors;

What servos are you running?

Have you installed different servos to find that the problem disappears?
The three different problems I've seen all were with Novak motors, which had been working in other cars, but when installed in cars with JR digital servos started to cog badly. This was only with v.203 software, when changed back to any earlier version, used in Dual Mode, or after the JR was removed, everything worked fine.

Denney
Denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #42
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

May I ask....is this Novak SS motor with TEKIN RS with V203 problem is a "GARANTEE WILL HAPPEN" problem...? Or this is only a few individual problem?

The reason I asked is...(2) Tekin RS coming and (2) Novak SS 13.5/17.5 and they are suppose to be ready to race this SAT/SUN...

I think I am screwed now.............
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #43
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
May I ask....is this Novak SS motor with TEKIN RS with V203 problem is a "GARANTEE WILL HAPPEN" problem...? Or this is only a few individual problem?

The reason I asked is...(2) Tekin RS coming and (2) Novak SS 13.5/17.5 and they are suppose to be ready to race this SAT/SUN...

I think I am screwed now.............
Lots of people run that combo no problems. I would guess this problem is in the distinct minority.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #44
Tech Champion
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,103
Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
May I ask....is this Novak SS motor with TEKIN RS with V203 problem is a "GARANTEE WILL HAPPEN" problem...? Or this is only a few individual problem?

The reason I asked is...(2) Tekin RS coming and (2) Novak SS 13.5/17.5 and they are suppose to be ready to race this SAT/SUN...

I think I am screwed now.............
It is definitely a hit or miss issue. I've set my younger brother up with an RS and SS17.5 with no issues whatsoever....other than the fact no one believes he has a stock motor in there as he pulls wheelies down the straight if a bump lifts the nose a touch.
__________________
www.kriostasis.com
Krio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #45
Tech Addict
 
csracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 726
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
It is definitely a hit or miss issue. I've set my younger brother up with an RS and SS17.5 with no issues whatsoever....other than the fact no one believes he has a stock motor in there as he pulls wheelies down the straight if a bump lifts the nose a touch.
My truck is plenty fast with the RS, but I still have the wierd starting issue.
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 06:57 AM
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Tekin Vegas 2.0 Setup and Support Randy_Pike Electric Off-Road 1713 12-06-2011 05:31 PM
Tekin Rs/Rs pro V200 offroad setups only JdogL Electric Off-Road 272 02-04-2010 11:54 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:32 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net