Like Tree486Likes

1/12 forum

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: 1/12 forum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IBxAnders
This is a place to share knowledge related to 1/12th scale racing. It is not to be used for conversations.

1/12th Scale Pan Car Kits:

Click links to go to manufacturer product page. If any are missing please add them!

Associated 12R6
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_.../Factory_Team/ Jul 2017 release
DISCUSSION THREAD - Team Associated 12R6

Print Wikipost

Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the KD 19 turn is your best bet.the checkpoint is another but it is tough to get enough gear on them.i run the KD with full face F brushes and green springs + and -.the car is insane fast.i gear it at a 88/28 with a 1.8 rear tire
Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by off_sider
Hopefully someone can help me with this..... I own a 3.2R CRC.. What is the job for Dampers, side springs, and center spring.
With lighter to heavier lube in damper, this does what effect?
With lighter to heavier side springs , this does what effect?
Center spirng and Oil weight , what happen with light to heavy?

Please let me know what the duties are for these and what would you recommend to start out with. Thanks for the help and time.
I'm not too familiar with link cars, but the basic concepts should be the same as T-plate cars. Not an expert, but this is what I have found:

Here is a good link for setup suggestions:

http://home.sc.rr.com/mlufaso/rc/12l4/index.html

Lighter or heavier side springs should be like running a lighter or heavier t-plate. Lighter side springs should give better rear traction. Heavier springs can be used to free up the rear end and perhaps make the car react faster.

A softer rear center spring can make the car have more on power understeer. It will give the car more rear traction and make the car easier to drive. It will give the car more "throttle" steering control. The rear will squat more on power and it will push under power.

Not too sure what center dampening will do, I generally run as little as possible, perhaps 30wt to 40wt. Just enough so that the car doesn't bounce on a rough track.

Mike's web page gives some good information on side dampening:

Damping Very little damping is used initially when I start at a track. Add damping to the rear end to add more steering. I have tried many types of grease, including various oils and diff lubes (the type of diff lube is not important, I use and try many types on the discs). The tension on the damping discs should be very light in most cases (cut the spring to reduce tension if necessary). Remove damping fluid to obtain more rear traction. If a lot of damping is used then a thin T-bar may handle better in extreme situations, but I do not typically like this setup.

I find that if you use too much dampening it acts much like a heavy T-plate or heavy side springs, it takes away rear traction. I would think that lighter dampening would make the car react faster.

Again, I am not an expert, so don't flame me if I've made some mistakes here. But this is what I have found from my testing.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

what do you think of the crc 3.1 team red
Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by protc3
the KD 19 turn is your best bet.the checkpoint is another but it is tough to get enough gear on them.i run the KD with full face F brushes and green springs + and -.the car is insane fast.i gear it at a 88/28 with a 1.8 rear tire
Looks like you run a rollout of about 1.8". We run a rollout of about 1.7" with the KD but our track is usually fairly tight and technical.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Lord

yup,i run this on a tight track also.i have been practicing smoothing out my driving and it actually does allow you to run more gear.perfect example.Paul Wynn and i went out to test my new 1/12th scale car.Paul ran the car the 1st heat and the motor came off ice cold after 8 minutes geared at 88/27.i bumped it up 2 teeth and i went out and ran the car.i could damn near fry an egg on the motor. Paul went out the following heat with the same motor and gear as when i ran it.the motor came off the track at 110 degrees MAN I WAS SUCKIN!!!!!! this is what made me realize that i was over driving the car.after practicing with smoothing out my throttle finger,i was .2 on average faster and my motor temp dropped and i could add a tooth of gear.i am not good enough to run the gear that paul can but im trying.and to top that,i almost fell on the floor when mike blackstock told me his mod gearing.100/30!!!!!! brutha is a smoothe mo fo
Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Yea man, An ol" skool 1/12th trick, you can over gear an Mod in 1/12th just dont yank the throttle Lol... Mike Blackstock and Chris Dosek are masters of the overgearing methods, they can a 7 single and still not dump.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Diggity Designs 3D12 Conversions are now Available!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the 3D12 conversion kits are now posted for purchase on the website. The CD12 conversion kits will be available on Monday. The full kits for both of the 3D12 and CD12 kits will follow in about a week! Orders yours now.

Damon
Old 01-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

does anyone know of a shock absorber up-grade for the 12L4 i have popped out the plastic retainer i have tryed new shock bodys and new retainers but they keep doing this.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Old 01-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Tech Addict

CRC (scroll down on that page) has the durashock which uses a screw retainer to keep the sealing in place.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

I just got the new one from SM last week.

http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com/sho...l/smr1437.html

I like the aluminum end cap, and the Teflon coated piston/shaft. I've seen a lot of the plastic ones blow off on link cars. Not that big of a problem with a T-Bar usually.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Tech Lord

nice looking kit damon,i look forward to seeing it at the snowbirds.best of luck

CRC and IRS make awesome shocks for the L4.i like the IRS shock because the piston and shock shaft are 1 piece so once it is assembled it will never break.the stock piston is aluminum and pressed onto the shaft.they pull off when they get knocked around.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for getting back so quickly

i think ill get the CRC dura-shock it looks like a very good design and nice and strong

cheers
Chris
Old 01-26-2007, 04:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks for the motor suggestions jason!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah, that sheet was awesome..wish I knew where it was... I'm bad at not getting things bookmarked.

Originally Posted by Stampede
Ray Huang has a tip sheet that'll help you. I just can't remember where I found it.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Is this the sheet you're talking about?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
12th tech tips summary.pdf (13.5 KB, 249 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service