R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Cool TC4 Solid Front Axle???

Solid Front Axle, Spool? Why not just call it what it is? "POSI" Thats not my question...this is...I have a TC4 and was wondering...What affect does this part have on handling if it's mounted in the rear? Seems to me that that's where it 'should' be, am I wrong?
therizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizzle View Post
Solid Front Axle, Spool? Why not just call it what it is? "POSI" Thats not my question...this is...I have a TC4 and was wondering...What affect does this part have on handling if it's mounted in the rear? Seems to me that that's where it 'should' be, am I wrong?

This isn't exactly my question, but I was about to post a setup question on spools, so this is a good spot for it. Why do the VTA guys use a spool in the front? I'm sure I knew why one would do this 15 years ago, but I can't remember now.

Thanks!
dietDrThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Tech Champion

more forward traction, which in turn with the right setup, keeps the speed up in the corners ....

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

That's if it's mounted in front...but what if it's in the rear?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Quote:
That's if it's mounted in front...but what if it's in the rear?
Iif its in the rear it is going to push off the track and will most likely be horrible to drive. if you were going in a straight line it would be pretty good but on a high traction sfc you will need the diff in the back as on tire will move a shorter/farther distance than the other.
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thank you Matt! I think I'll give it a try as soon as the weather improves. I don't race anywhere, I pretty much just run up and down the street...quickly!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Default spool in the rear

I tried a rear spool on a TC3 that I had set up for dirt oval. It didn't seem to work much better than a diff, but it seemed a bit more consistent. I used the spool with a front one-way (talk about crazy, eh?) and on the right surface it was a very fast, but very wild ride. You could just let off about 1/4 throttle and it would back into the corner. Clamp the throttle back on and it would pull right through with the tail wagging happily behind.

With any kind of grip available, a rear spool would make the car unwilling, and possible unable, to turn in.

The only way I'd try that kind of setup on pavement would be to drive the car backwards.
jhberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

So am I correct in assuming that it would be ideal for drifting?

BTW...I just started this account and posted my first question today and I'm VERY happy with how quickly I got responses! LOVING this website!!!
Thank you all for your input!
I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as they present themselves.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
more forward traction, which in turn with the right setup, keeps the speed up in the corners ....
Ok, so do all cars come with them? More traction and higher corner speed sounds like a good result. Or...when don't you want one? Do mod TC guys (or stock) run a spool? Or just slower classes? If it's just slower ones, why is that?

Thanks!
dietDrThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Default VTA?

Rizz -- If your avatar is a hint, are you planning to run the TC4 in VTA? If so, you probably won't be needing anything fancy in the drivetrain department. I've tried most of the variations and the VTA spec tires bring everything down to the spring and shock level. The tires don't have a lot of grip, so you can go off in all sorts of exotic directions trying to make the front or back stick. The right spring and shock oil combo makes the difference between a sweet handling ride and a squirrel.

Some guys use a front spool, which may be more a driving preference issue than a go/no-go issue. Of course, I'll probably throw a spool and a one-way in at some point over the season, just to see what happens.
jhberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Actually, no I'm not racing at all. That was just the first body I did after I bought the car. Just liked the body. I didn't even know about VTA class until recently. I like the idea of it, but I don't think there's any of that around here. I bought the car at RC madness in Enfield, Ct. and I'm not sure if they even have a VTA class there. The only reason I posted that pic is cuz all my other ones are too high a resolution to post. I'll try now to post some pics as the car currently sits... NOPE, didn't work. I believe the site only allows you to post a 230 KB jpg, mine are over 4 MB, sucks...but it's pretty!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
So am I correct in assuming that it would be ideal for drifting?
yes. most of drifters use spool in rear
Phat-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietDrThunder View Post
Ok, so do all cars come with them? More traction and higher corner speed sounds like a good result. Or...when don't you want one? Do mod TC guys (or stock) run a spool? Or just slower classes? If it's just slower ones, why is that?

Thanks!
spools dont work too well with foams, you need a diff both ends for them.

It is possible to race a car on a spool with foams, but its not the favoured method...

Most fast guys with any other setup though will run with a spool.

One ways are good for keeping corner speeds up in slower classes (silver can) if you're used to reduced braking as a forfeit.

A diff wont be as fast as a spool when both are set up properly, but the diff is the safer option.

Hope that helps

therizzle- yes, drifting is the only racing a spool is good for in the rear, to swing the back end of the car out.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

So basically running diffs in front and rear may better? I feel my tc4 lacks accel out of corners with a front spool.
Vyevchevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Solid Front Axle, Spool? Why not just call it what it is? "POSI"
By the way, a spool is a solid front axle. A Posi is not. A posi still has a gear differential, but there are clutches that engage if one wheel is spinning and the other is not.
glennhl is offline   Reply With Quote