R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-02-2004, 12:11 AM   #46
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That site has some solid stuff on it, but a few mistakes.....

#1, never take the bushings out, simply make sure they are fully seated by using a piece of wood dowel with a slight tap to make sure its sitting level....removing the bushing, you will never get back the alignment you had if it was on in the first place....you can do the Qtip break in method with the bushings still in the endbell and can....

#2 NEVER use a fan on the armature shaft....it puts a load on the motor during break in, which will ALWAYS increase arching during the critical brush break in period....if you need to cool your motors(which is a good thing usually), just use a seperate fan, like a computer case fan....something that has its own power and just point it at the motor.....

#3 While its not incorrect, its an oversight....but when you polish the shaft, make sure you do the PINION side first....that way you will polish out any scuffs or whatever on the endbell side when you do it and you won't scuff anything on the pinion side to worry about, since the area in the dremel won't be riding on the bushing, like the endbell side would...

Thats a solid site, but its mainly a summary of stuff from Jim's book, along with a few tips thrown in....one good thing I noticed, they to tell you NOT to use any brush alignment tool that aligns the hoods straight across.....

Later EddieO
Old 04-02-2004, 12:23 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Thanks guys, that was fast answers ! I'll do some reading, then try it..... Thanks again !
Old 04-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

EddieO > If you dont remove the bushing, how are you suppose to sand it? Isnt it easier to sand the bushing when it it out?

Thanks...
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:55 PM   #49

Yeah Big Jim's forum is worth reading. I hate the guy, but he knows his stuff so I still read his forum. His alignment bar is probably the best you can buy. I don't have it, but I used his measurements to make my own and it works very well.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:43 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't sand the bushing.......its a waste of time.....the washers will groove themselves into them during break in....

Later EddieO